Why all the hate about lutefisk/Marmite v. Vegemite which is the superior sandwich spread

Ser Scot A Ellison

5 hours ago, Hereward said:

What does Marmite taste like? It tastes like I imagine Satan's jockstrap would after it'd been worn continuously for about 300 years of energetic rugby, then stuffed with Stilton and left in a locker for about two eons.

I believe you are confusing it with liverwurst.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Mayo and mustard are what go on sandwiches.  I do enjoy a PB&J from time to time.  It the J must be strawberry preserves.

Mayo is disgusting. No consenting adult should ever willingly eat mayo.

5 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Mayo is disgusting. No consenting adult should ever willingly eat mayo.

I agree with you in general, and PARTICULARLY with my inlaws' love of slathering mayo on cold crab and eating it on saltines.  The smell alone...*shudder*.  Anyhow, mayo, like many condiments, has its place, and if used sparingly, can be delicious.  Used sparingly is the key element of proper mayofication though.  Mayo in gross is....gross.

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I agree with you in general, and PARTICULARLY with my inlaws' love of slathering mayo on cold crab and eating it on saltines.  The smell alone...*shudder*.  Anyhow, mayo, like many condiments, has its place, and if used sparingly, can be delicious.  Used sparingly is the key element of proper mayofication though.  Mayo in gross is....gross.

There is no acceptable use for mayo other than as part of a revenge for hire plot against your worst enemy.  

Even then, it's probably against the geneva convention or something.

4 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

There is no acceptable use for mayo other than as part of a revenge for hire plot against your worst enemy.  

My in-laws' crab thing is almost certainly against the Geneva Convention.  It's indescribably awful.

Mayo is good on sandwiches in small amounts. Most sandwich shops seem to slather it on an inch thick though for some reason, and asking for "a little bit of mayo" has never made much difference in my experience. 

ETA: People who use mayo as dipping sauce for fries and such are abominations. 

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Mayo and mustard are what go on sandwiches.

Neither of these things belongs within a hundred miles of a sandwich.  Peanut butter neither.  Jelly/jam to me is a sweet food and sandwiches are savoury - I was never in the sugar sandwiches/jam sandwiches brigade - so that doesn't really compute well either.

Honey roast ham, some decently strong cheese, maybe a little pickled onion, maybe a few sliced cherry tomatoes, a smear of butter.  Yum.

When I was a child I had a friend who introduced me to peanut butter, lettuce, and mayonnaise sandwiches. I haven't had one in years but I liked them when I was a teenager.

I generally like mayonnaise -- and like the "real thing" much better than the "Miracle Whip" alternative. 

Of course, I also like liverwurst -- and have since I was a child. 

I've never tried lutefisk, Marmite, or Vegamite though. 

I picked up a jar of Marmite on the way home for curiosity's sake and just had some on a piece of toast. I'd say it tastes quite like beer. Specifically a strong, somewhat bitter stout. Except also salty. Would be good with some sharp cheddar I think. Might make a grilled cheese with some tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Sriracha mayo is actually one of the best possible realizations of a condiment in all realities.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Mayo and mustard are what go on sandwiches.  I do enjoy a PB&J from time to time.  It the J must be strawberry preserves.

No strawberry rhubarb? I make my own jam. Strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, black currant, raspberry and ginger. Care to stretch your taste experiences?

15 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Sriracha mayo is actually one of the best possible realizations of a condiment in all realities.

Putting mayo in Sriracha is like putting diet coke in fine scotch. 

it's unnecessary, boorish and only for children..

2 hours ago, Zoë Sumra said:

Neither of these things belongs within a hundred miles of a sandwich.  Peanut butter neither.  Jelly/jam to me is a sweet food and sandwiches are savoury - I was never in the sugar sandwiches/jam sandwiches brigade - so that doesn't really compute well either.

Honey roast ham, some decently strong cheese, maybe a little pickled onion, maybe a few sliced cherry tomatoes, a smear of butter.  Yum.

At last, someone who speaks sense in the sandwich department! Though if it's ham and cheese it must be brown/granary bread.

45 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I picked up a jar of Marmite on the way home for curiosity's sake and just had some on a piece of toast. I'd say it tastes quite like beer. Specifically a strong, somewhat bitter stout. Except also salty. Would be good with some sharp cheddar I think. Might make a grilled cheese with some tomorrow. 

Marmite and strong cheddar pair very well together. You sir have excellent taste.

2 hours ago, Zoë Sumra said:

Sandwiches are as versatile as they are glorious and I steadfastly oppose any attempt to pigeonhole them into one category or another! :fencing:

Just now, KiDisaster said:

Sandwiches are as versatile as they are glorious and I steadfastly oppose any attempt to pigeonhole them into one category or another! :fencing:

I rescind my earlier comment about your excellent taste 

Archived