Why all the hate about lutefisk/Marmite v. Vegemite which is the superior sandwich spread

Ser Scot A Ellison

59 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I rescind my earlier comment about your excellent taste 

Hater B)

What's your stance on s'mores? Or brie au pomme? Sweet sandwiches can be awesome! 

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

All of those candies sounded incredibly disgusting.  "Wind Jellies"???  Menthol flavored nuget?  Dear God why would anyone eat that?

Salted licorice candies were a Dutch treat my grandparents would bring when they came to visit. Now that was a disgusting candy.

1 minute ago, maarsen said:

Salted licorice candies were a Dutch treat my grandparents would bring when they came to visit. Now that was a disgusting candy.

I got some of these in our secret santa exchange a few years ago. I love black licorice but that ammonium chloride stuff they coat them with is truly shocking. I could only eat one or two at a time. 

I did enjoy making my friends and relatives try them though. 

Last Christmas my Brother in law brought a bar of white chocolate, which I like, infused with peices of "Carolina Reaper".  The heat wasn't what bothered me.  What bothered me was the absolutely noxious taste of that foul pepper.  It tasted exactly like Ghost Pepper.  It is horrible.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's the first time I've ever seen the word "twiglets" before now.

Exercise caution if you do get to eat them.

I hear they can make you violent.

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I haven't tried Bovril yet, but I have high hopes I'll get to try it one day soon. I like Vegemite and Marmite. And mayo. I'm not a fan of lutefisk though. 

We have some in our pantry, smuggled back from our trip er 3 years ago. We should probably check on the date of it.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Last Christmas my Brother in law brought a bar of white chocolate, which I like, infused with peices of "Carolina Reaper".  The heat wasn't what bothered me.  What bothered me was the absolutely noxious taste of that foul pepper.  It tasted exactly like Ghost Pepper.  It is horrible.

The ghost pepper tastes wonderful :( What about the flavor don't you like? 

Dark chocolate with chili peppers is a delicious combination. I can't imagine they'd be good with white chocolate, but then I don't really like white chocolate anyway. 

I've only ever had ghost pepper in sauces but those sauces tasted quite good. 

19 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Dark chocolate with chili peppers is a delicious combination. I can't imagine they'd be good with white chocolate, but then I don't really like white chocolate anyway. 

I've had a Ghost Pepper infused vodka shot.  I've had the a piece of a white chocolate bar with bits of the "Carolina Reaper" in the bar.  That chili taste's like bitter rancid vinegar to me.  I love hot thai chilis.  I like Habeneros.  I do not like the "extreme peppers" and it has nothing to do with the heat.  They taste terribly to me.

Never tried lutefisk, so I can't comment.

Vegemite is too sweet. It's been years since I tried it though.

Marmite... I grew up with it. It has the texture of tar, and a taste that is both strongly bitter, and salty. I quite like it myself - I've never understood the hatred.

The two foods I cannot stand are white chocolate and peanut butter.

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Yeah, to be fair, I've never bitten into a ghost pepper fruit before, I've only had it in salsas and sauces. But I immensely enjoyed all of the preparations that involved it. 

I've also had a peach IPA infused with carolina reaper that I thought was awesome as well. 

On 08/04/2017 at 0:10 AM, KiDisaster said:

I picked up a jar of Marmite on the way home for curiosity's sake and just had some on a piece of toast. I'd say it tastes quite like beer. Specifically a strong, somewhat bitter stout. Except also salty. Would be good with some sharp cheddar I think. Might make a grilled cheese with some tomorrow. 

If you do so, you would be doing it correctly.

I personally prefer Vegemite, over marmite, but thast's just personal preference; and the best uses are alongside a mature-vintage cheddar, on toast with melted butter, as a salt replacement in some recipes.

As for the great Mayo debate - potato salad, and egg mayo, and that's about it for me.

Archived