Why all the hate about lutefisk/Marmite v. Vegemite which is the superior sandwich spread

Ser Scot A Ellison

32 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Haven't tried lutefisk, but I have heeded Are Kalvø, who said (paraphrasing) that "Norwegians drink aquavit to forget they ate lutefisk". 

Having tried aquavit, I think that's probably the best use for it. That, and paint remover.

My inlaws also consume a fair bit of aquavit.  For special occasions, they freeze a bottle in a bucket with rose petals.  You then peel off the bucket and have the aquavit bottle in a melting ice sculpture.  This is to disguise the fact that the contents are best used as an industrial solvent (as you note).  But it's lipstick on a pig.  I'm fairly certain that the crab thing above was invented after a couple of shots of aquavit.  Shortly thereafter, I'm almost certain everyone was rushed to the hospital with a perforated esophagus.

The only time I ever had aquavit was at Epcot (Disney World) in the Norway pavilion during the Wine & Food Fest, and I have no idea if that was the real stuff or not, but I didn't think it was that bad. 

Just now, KiDisaster said:

The only time I ever had aquavit was at Epcot (Disney World) in the Norway pavilion during the Wine & Food Fest, and I have no idea if that was the real stuff or not, but I didn't think it was that bad. 

It's actually no worse than grappa or similar.  And some is better than others.  But it's really fun to make fun of my in laws for their weird food customs.

From what I remember it tasted vaguely of anise and maybe citrus of some sort. Which might go some way to explaining why I kind of liked it any no one else I was with did. So few people appreciate the glory of anise, fennel & licorice. The holy trinity. 

16 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

From what I remember it tasted vaguely of anise and maybe citrus of some sort. Which might go some way to explaining why I kind of liked it any no one else I was with did. So few people appreciate the glory of anise, fennel & licorice. The holy trinity. 

It is basically vodka infused with caraway. I don't know what that is, but it does not taste well with vodka.

2 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I'm the kinda person who hates licorice in food form but I like a number of alcoholic beverages that have a licorice vibe - ouzo, sambuca, absinthe, etc.  

12 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Surely kiwis are more deserving of this honor? :P

What is it with Scandinavian countries and rotten fish anyway? (I know lutefisk isn't rotten but there's hakarl and surstromming and probably others.) 

I like to think I'm an adventurous eater, I'll try pretty much anything once...but rotten fish? I dunno. 

"Kiwi" is a bird, or a person who hails from New Zealand. Kiwifruit is the correct name. Anyway, kiwifruit fur is too course to qualify as a the fruit mascot of furries, I would think

36 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

"Kiwi" is a bird, or a person who hails from New Zealand. Kiwifruit is the correct name. Anyway, kiwifruit fur is too course to qualify as a the fruit mascot of furries, I would think

Peach fuzz is the fuzziest of fruit.

Archived