Why all the hate about lutefisk/Marmite v. Vegemite which is the superior sandwich spread

Ser Scot A Ellison

My best friend in primary school used to get Marmite sandwiches for lunch a lot. I still remember the first time I tried a piece. A truly shocking experience. It's weird stuff. I had more of it over the years though and eventually didn't mind it. Never really liked it though. I wonder if I can buy it in the supermarket here...

34 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I will not eat lutefisk.  I will not eat yeast based sandwich spreads.  

What's the deal with these foods.

Discuss.

I will not eat lutefisk either.

I love my vegemite.  I really love my vegemite.  It puts a rose in every cheek.

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I will not eat lutefisk either.

I love my vegemite.  I really love my vegemite.  It puts a rose in every cheek.

Is it a savory or a sweet tasted?  Does it taste like the smell of bread baking... or what?  I like yeasty bread but yeast flavored spreads just seems... over the top.  

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I've never looked for yeast based spreads in US supermarkets but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them if you looked.

We found it. We even found Tim Tams. In Gresham, Oregon.

Also, Vegemite on buttered bread is the the physical embodiment of a joy-filled outing in the sunshine.

The supermarket here has a small section of British snacks and foods right next to the Mexican section (No Jaffa Cakes though, to my endless dismay). If they have it anywhere it'll be there.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is it a savory or a sweet tasted?  Does it taste like the smell of bread baking... or what?  I like yeasty bread but yeast flavored spreads just seems... over the top.  

It is definitely not sweet. Apart from that it's very hard to describe. Especially considering I haven't had it in many years now. 

55 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Never had vegemite but marmite is definitely not sweet. It's a hardy taste to describe, but I would say it's a little bit beefy. That's not really the best way to describe it but I can't think of a better way. It's a strong flavour.

Cheese and marmite toasties are delicious. So much goodness.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

We found it. We even found Tim Tams. In Gresham, Oregon.

Also, Vegemite on buttered bread is the the physical embodiment of a joy-filled outing in the sunshine.

What in the name of All Powerful and Everlasting God were you doing in Gresham.  :shudders: MC, are you seeing this???

marmite does not taste of yeast.  thats like saying beer tastes of yeast.   Yeast is necessary for making both but they taste very different.

I used to love marmite.   but now it tastes so salty, probably cos I've cut so much salt out of my diet.

I wouldn't say it tastes beefy although its kinda similar  to Bovril in taste which is made from beef so...

Scott have you ever tried twiglets?

Why in the name of all that is holy is lutefisk even in this conversation?  Have you even had lutefisk?  Smelled it?  Let's just say ones feelings about lutefisk cannot be mild.  It is impossible based on the nature of the stuff in question.

4 minutes ago, Pebble said:

marmite does not taste of yeast.  thats like saying beer tastes of yeast.   Yeast is necessary for making both but they taste very different.

I used to love marmite.   but now it tastes so salty, probably cos I've cut so much salt out of my diet.

I wouldn't say it tastes beefy although its kinda similar  to Bovril in taste which is made from beef so...

Scott have you ever tried twiglets?

That's the first time I've ever seen the word "twiglets" before now.

Zabzie,

For the sake of conversation.

What does Marmite taste like? It tastes like I imagine Satan's jockstrap would after it'd been worn continuously for about 300 years of energetic rugby, then stuffed with Stilton and left in a locker for about two eons.

3 minutes ago, Hereward said:

What does Marmite taste like? It tastes like I imagine Satan's jockstrap would after it'd been worn continuously for about 300 years of energetic rugby, then stuffed with Stilton and left in a locker for about two eons.

Now people in my office are looking at be funny because I can't stop laughing.

:lol:

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's the first time I've ever seen the word "twiglets" before now.

Zabzie,

For the sake of conversation.

Twiglets,  they are knobbly breadsticks coated with marmite. ;Probably a British specialty.

In the unlikely event your making to Worldon this year, I'll bring some for you to try.

Herward is obviously in the Hate it camp.        Marmite you either love it or hate it, there is no middle ground.

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

I don't like Marmite but I do like Bovril, which people not from the UK, Ireland or a few former British colonies also seem to hate when they try it. 

Peanut butter, blackberry jam, sliced banana and potato chips (or corn flakes) toasted on sourdough bread is the One True King of sandwiches. Gotta add the chips after toasting though so they don't get soggy. 

Although I had a fish Reuben at some restaurant a while back that gave it a run for its money. 

22 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just use hummus for your sandwich spreads.

I contend it is less disgusting than anything mentioned and still to be mentioned (such as peanut butter and jelly) in this thread.

Hummus is good on everything. 

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

I've been on a low sodium diet for a few months now. I couldn't eat some polenta my brother made the other night cause it tasted so salty to me. Everyone thought I was crazy :lol: 

Archived