Board games!

Werthead

Finally played a game of Settlers of Catan, about 20 years after first meaning to. That was quite enjoyable. 

Still keeping an eye on the Fallout board game. That needs to come out yesterday.

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Less than $30 here:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/rio539.html

They also were sold out a few weeks ago, so they must have upped their order significantly, as they now show 14 available. 

Actually, it's still in "preorder" status.  Rio Grande is supposed to get it from the printer this week,and then get it straight out to distributors, who will then get it to retailers.  I'm hoping it's at retailers by the 2nd week of December.  I wish it had been out a month ago...but it's a long story behind that. 

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

Actually, it's still in "preorder" status.

Yeah, but awhile back they had it listed as "out of stock" for preorder.  So I'm sure they doubled whatever their initial amount was that they had requested for preorder.  If you look at their Upcoming Releases section you'll see several listed as Out of Stock, but when they're sure they can secure more copies they'll change that status back to Available (I order way too many games from them).

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

Rio Grande is supposed to get it from the printer this week,and then get it straight out to distributors, who will then get it to retailers.  I'm hoping it's at retailers by the 2nd week of December.  I wish it had been out a month ago...but it's a long story behind that. 

That really stinks.  Where was it printed, China?  Was it delayed on the water or a victim of that factory strike in China?  I'm surprised Rio Grande didn't do everything in their power to get it out a couple of weeks ago - it would have been great to have it in people's hands for Thanksgiving.  It does seem that things rarely go exactly to plan with board game production.  Quined Games has one called Halloween that is going to be released in the next couple of weeks.

21 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I've played Clans of Caledonia once...really enjoyed it and want to get it back to the table.  Also played Great Western Trail for the first time recently...I'm a little more mixed on that one.  I like complex game...but that one has a LOT going on in it.  I'm still trying to warm up to Terraforming Mars as well...not sure what it is, I think it's an interesting game...but something about it doesn't quite grab me.  After my latest play, I pinpointed a few things - the randomness of the cards you are dealt, and turn order.  Turn order can be critical, if you're trying to get the last upgrades on heat or oxygen...and if it doesn't fall right for you, tough.  I know there are some things that can mitigate that...but I wish you could control turn order a bit more directly.

I didn't do so well on my first game of Clans, spent an unhealthy amount of time thinking about strategy for it in the intervening two weeks, and won quite handily in my.  Looking forward to playing it again.  I love how much there is going on in Great Western Trail.  Seriously brain burning.  But at the same time it can get back around to your turn really quickly.  I need to get some plays in with people that have played it before though.  In the past several games I've been teaching at least two people, and that doesn't give me enough remaining brain power to work on my own game.

My complaint with Terraforming Mars is that it's just a bit too long.  Do you play with the drafting option?  I think that eliminates that feeling of randomness, but it certainly doesn't help with my time issue.  It would be interesting if it had the same turn order structure that Clans of Caledonia has.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Finally played a game of Settlers of Catan, about 20 years after first meaning to. That was quite enjoyable. 

Still keeping an eye on the Fallout board game. That needs to come out yesterday.

It's not a bad game at all.  It was so many people's gateway game that it gets a bad rep as they move on from it.

Fallout is starting to be delivered to reviewers, so it probably won't be that much longer.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

Finally played a game of Settlers of Catan, about 20 years after first meaning to.

This game is completely amazing. We have it at home, as well as Seafarers expansion, which is my favourite of the expansions (as it doesn't change the rules with many new mechanics, just a larger play space).

Can't wait until my kids are old to appreciate how excellent it is. :D

It's me, I think Ticket to Ride is boring.

I picked up a couple of older games:

Escape: Curse of the Temple: A neat idea, real-time (no turns) dice rolling by 2 to 5 players playing cooperatively under intense time pressure. In practice it seems awfully easy to get screwed by dice and lose. I think we've won a total of once.

Mr. Jack: Just got this in yesterday, played two rounds. Two players, eight investigators looking for Jack the Ripper, one of the investigators is secretly Jack (which one is known only to Player 2, who is playing as Jack). Player 1 tries to deduce Jack's identity and catch him before he escapes.

I got my pre-order of the new Fallout game last night. Unpacked and glanced over the rules, seems pretty damn cool at a cursory glance. Now I've got to try and get my friends together to actually try the damn thing. Wish me luck :P

4 hours ago, Yukle said:

This game is completely amazing. We have it at home, as well as Seafarers expansion, which is my favourite of the expansions (as it doesn't change the rules with many new mechanics, just a larger play space).

Can't wait until my kids are old to appreciate how excellent it is. :D

This is going to be my christmas present to myself this year! Forcing the family to play this over the holidays. I've never tried it but everyone says its good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 7:00 PM, HokieStone said:

Actually, it's still in "preorder" status.  Rio Grande is supposed to get it from the printer this week,and then get it straight out to distributors, who will then get it to retailers.  I'm hoping it's at retailers by the 2nd week of December.  I wish it had been out a month ago...but it's a long story behind that. 

Any word?

On 11/29/2017 at 5:20 AM, baxus said:

Maybe it's been mentioned already, but in case it wasn't - Ticket to Ride is great fun.

I am yet to find a single person who didn't like it on the first take.

Me and my family love this game.  First time we played it, we played wrong, you could draw cards, play trains and even draw new route cards all on the same turn, instead of just one of those things and I think it makes the game flow better.

Also love Catan.  When my family and friends first started game day, it was due to Catan.  My brother and and I really wanted to try this game out.  Now game day is mainly D&D, but every once in a while we break out Legendary or Catan or Betrayal or one of the myriad other games we have bought over the years.

The Fallout board game has started showing up in the UK, but with a £100 price tag. Given the US RRP is $70, that's fecking ridiculous and a rip-off. I'm putting it down to limited release stock, hopefully it'll drop as more stock arrives in the country.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The Fallout board game has started showing up in the UK, but with a £100 price tag. Given the US RRP is $70, that's fecking ridiculous and a rip-off. I'm putting it down to limited release stock, hopefully it'll drop as more stock arrives in the country.

Yeah that's crazy. My pre-order was $70 including shipping. 

It's a great game though. The only issue I have with it is that your faction alignment is determined by random card draw, so even if you've been doing quests to help The Institute for example, you might never get a card that lets you ally with them, which means they always see you as an enemy and their units on the board will be hostile to you. Might try to house rule it somehow because it's very silly. 

Fallout is $94 from the only seller with stock on Amazon right now.  Seems like it's impacted over here as well.  I guess I'll wait for early next year and see then if the price is better.  Don't have anyone to play it with this month anyway.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:44 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Any word?

I got my copies this past Friday.  Rio Grande started sending to distributors the Friday before that...so about 10 days ago.  They though it might start appearing in stores this past weekend, but I haven't seen any reports that it has.  One place on Amazon says they only have 2 copies left, and if you order now, you'll get it by the 15th.  Other places still say "pre-order".  Hopefully this week sees a lot more confirmation that it's actually in stores - both online and brick&mortar. 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:58 PM, HokieStone said:

I got my copies this past Friday.  Rio Grande started sending to distributors the Friday before that...so about 10 days ago.  They though it might start appearing in stores this past weekend, but I haven't seen any reports that it has.  One place on Amazon says they only have 2 copies left, and if you order now, you'll get it by the 15th.  Other places still say "pre-order".  Hopefully this week sees a lot more confirmation that it's actually in stores - both online and brick&mortar. 

That's great news.  The listing on Amazon now says it will be released on December 15th.  Hopefully that's correct, and I'll just be able to get it in time for Christmas. 

22 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That's great news.  The listing on Amazon now says it will be released on December 15th.  Hopefully that's correct, and I'll just be able to get it in time for Christmas. 

Just had one local game store - Labyrinth Games in Washington D.C. - confirm to me that they have copies in store now.  (I'm going to head down there on Saturday to run some demos).  Also, people that ordered online through Cool Stuff Inc. are getting shipping notices.  So, looks like it's starting to get out there...

On 12/13/2017 at 8:29 PM, HokieStone said:

Just had one local game store - Labyrinth Games in Washington D.C. - confirm to me that they have copies in store now.  (I'm going to head down there on Saturday to run some demos).  Also, people that ordered online through Cool Stuff Inc. are getting shipping notices.  So, looks like it's starting to get out there...

I was hoping it would show up as a new release at Miniature Market today (where I pre-ordered it), but it's not listed yet. Usually their cheapest shipping option takes a week to show up, so my worry is that if it doesn't ship today I won't have it by Christmas. However, my copy of Charterstone shipped on Tuesday of this week and showed up yesterday! Fedex Ground definitely is running smoothly right now, so next Tuesday is my that day I'm eyeballing.

On another note, they do have the excellent Rajas of the Ganges in stock. I played it a couple of weeks ago, and pre-ordered it immediately afterwards.

Archived