Jon and tycho nestoris

We know that it took awhile for the deal to bring in food to the wall (from Braavos or just coin to pay for said food)

We know that the Wildlings are able to get to/climb the wall easier than ever. Jon's POV states the TREES have never been as close to the wall as they are right now.

We know Braavos imports lumber for obvious reasons.

We do not know much about the terms of the deal for food except it appears Jon was successful.

Long OP short.... Why wouldn't Jon use the limitless trees on the other side of the wall to sweeten the deal? He even has men whose designated job includes sawing down trees that get too close

The jewelry and valuables collected from the wildlings served for the downpayment on the loan.  The rest to be paid regularly from incomes of the watch.  Lumber can be that source of income as well as what they make from taxing the wildlings settled in the Gift.  This is best-case scenario as we know the wildlings will resist paying taxes but Tycho doesn't know the free folk that well.

1 hour ago, Josette DuPres said:

The jewelry and valuables collected from the wildlings served for the downpayment on the loan.  The rest to be paid regularly from incomes of the watch.  Lumber can be that source of income as well as what they make from taxing the wildlings settled in the Gift.  This is best-case scenario as we know the wildlings will resist paying taxes but Tycho doesn't know the free folk that well.

I don't think John has thought about it this detailed. Jon knows the real enemy, the others, so i don't think he really care about trying to repay the debt. Besides Tycho will makes his way back to the wall and find out Jon is dead or died depending on where he goes and who he talks to. so the nights watch probably wont even get the loan. 

2 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Long OP short.... Why wouldn't Jon use the limitless trees on the other side of the wall to sweeten the deal? He even has men whose designated job includes sawing down trees that get too close

I like your thinking here. I think its a little too late. Like some people said the Nights watch has bigger issues right now and don't really have men to spare just to become lumberjacks. I've posted about this several times over years about why does the Nights watch suck so bad. Pretty much since they were given the Gift by the good queen they have been declining in manpower, support, and reputation, eventhough everything she did was the opposite of that, she gave them more land and praise them for their honor and valor and all that shit. Why didn't any of the Nights Watch commanders do more to reform the Watch?  

I would expect that access to resources is part of the deal, and that would include lumber.  It would likely be a lot easier for Braavos to get lumber with NW assistance as guides and security not to mention having their permission to collect it in the first place.

51 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I would expect that access to resources is part of the deal, and that would include lumber.  It would likely be a lot easier for Braavos to get lumber with NW assistance as guides and security not to mention having their permission to collect it in the first place.

I agree I think it would be straight down the middle (with interest for the IB obviously)

4 hours ago, House Beaudreau said:

I like your thinking here. I think its a little too late. Like some people said the Nights watch has bigger issues right now and don't really have men to spare just to become lumberjacks. I've posted about this several times over years about why does the Nights watch suck so bad. Pretty much since they were given the Gift by the good queen they have been declining in manpower, support, and reputation, eventhough everything she did was the opposite of that, she gave them more land and praise them for their honor and valor and all that shit. Why didn't any of the Nights Watch commanders do more to reform the Watch?  

Thank you I agree on all fronts actually. Youd think some newly elected leader would try to whip the men into shape 

7 hours ago, Josette DuPres said:

Ahh very nice you're right 

Tycho is a businessman.  Loans generate interests and that is how banks make their money.  The Night's Watch can trade lumber as well as fur, game, and whatever income it can generate from the wildlings at Mole's town.  Should Stannis take the throne, it is expected he would show generosity to the watch.  The likelihood of making a profit out of the deal is good. 

Archived