Oh by the way, someone shot and killed an 8 year old (of course it's USA)

TerraPrime

Well, I was perhaps a bit antagonistic, but... well, please explain your response. Because yes, I fail to see how owning a weapon for intended use against other humans (as opposed to sport, hunting, self-defense against animals) is anything but the stated intention to kill other human beings for scaring you.

ETA: I'm coming from a European perspective to this, even if from a country where gun ownership isn't all that rare (but gun homicides are incredibly more rare than the USA)

On 4/14/2017 at 6:44 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

Canadian children don't grow up being told they have a right to kill.  Owning murder weapons is a privilege rather than a right, which changes the culture quite a bit.

AND, something most of these gun-toters don't get, owning murder-weapons means you better damn well be okay with murdering someone. None of this, "oh, it's recreational" crap. Your gun is intended to kill. If you buy one, be responsible and admit you have accepted that you have the capacity to kill. A gun is not a toy--it is designed to kill. You wear an assault rifle in a Qdoba, you are telling people there you will potentially kill them. These idiots don't get it though because they're idiots. And I hate idiots with guns.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:46 AM, TerraPrime said:

Re: Altherion 

So you think if we manage to pass those storage laws we will see a significant drop in the number of toddler murders?

I do not know. I suspect that there will be some drop, but the magnitude may not be large as the people who are stupid enough to let toddlers get their hands on guns strike me as quite likely to disregard various safety laws.

7 hours ago, Altherion said:

I do not know. I suspect that there will be some drop, but the magnitude may not be large as the people who are stupid enough to let toddlers get their hands on guns strike me as quite likely to disregard various safety laws.

In fairness, it would be difficult for anything to cause a significant drop in the number of toddler murders, since the numbers of toddler murders is already very small. 

Depending on how you define 'significant' I guess.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:04 AM, Altherion said:

Exactly. 

The behavior we are aiming to regulate by extra laws on gun storage is exhibited by groups of people who are the least likely to pay attention to that new law. It's akin to preaching to the choir. 

Also, if we do manage to pass such a law, it might even make people think we've done something meaningful about violent death associated with gun ownership. And I don't think that'd be a good thing. 

Archived