What was the best scene from the books in your opinion?

Ser Loras The Gay

Either Dany taking Astapor or when Arya reunites with Harwin. Actually there are probably a few other Arya scenes but that's the first one that came to mind. I love the vulnerability of the moment after all that she had been through plus it's probably the closest thing she's going to get to a family reunion until Dream. Dany in Astapor is such a strong scene & it shows how Dany is coming into her own. And it's her peak. Her arc plateaus then goes downhill from there.

24 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

Either Dany taking Astapor or when Arya reunites with Harwin. Actually there are probably a few other Arya scenes but that's the first one that came to mind. I love the vulnerability of the moment after all that she had been through plus it's probably the closest thing she's going to get to a family reunion until Dream. Dany in Astapor is such a strong scene & it shows how Dany is coming into her own. And it's her peak. Her arc plateaus then goes downhill from there.

A very touching scene indeed, and strong. Are Arya your favourite character? Say others scenes you enjoy.

Tough call... gosh this is harder than I thought it would be.  Either when Davos argues for Stannis at White Harbor in ADWD, when Catelyn gets Jaime drunk and questions him at Riverrun in ACOK, or Joffrey's death (can't remember if that was ASOS or AFFC).  I really enjoyed all of Ned and Robert's scenes together in AGOT.  The House of the Undying was pretty cool too.

For me it's the wedding of Alys Karstark and Sigorn of Thenn. 

Throughout the novels we see a series of forced marriages, wedding massacres, rapes, etc.  The institute of marriage is less "politics" and more "warfare" during the WOT5K.  Jon makes a political move, altering the power structure of the North, bringing Houses Thenn and Karstark together, and the wedding is actually shown as a tender moment.  Sigorn is genuinely happy and and nervous about his new pretty, highborn wife.  Alys feels empowered and the marriage helps create a new bond between Stark and Karstark that was shattered during the war.  The clansmen seem to approve of Jon's brokered marriage, and the Wildlings make their first real attempt at integration into the 7K.

Moreover, the wedding itself was written to be a beautiful, warm event.  Melissandre didn't go overboard with her religious zealotry, she seemed to embrace the joining of two people in marriage, and the mood spread to the entire event.  Jon noticed that Hobb did well with preparing a proper feast, the men of the Watch actually danced with the few ladies present, and it seemed like a moment of happiness and social progress.  It was the type of wedding that everyone would have wanted to attend.

It was one of the books' best scenes.

2 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

Nice pick.

10 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

or Joffrey's death

It was from ASoS

I just remembered one. Ned discovering the incest between Cersei and Jaime Lannister just reading a fucking book.

So many to choose from.

Tower of Joy dream

Robb's speech to Catelyn about his will

Walder Fray chastising Robb about breaking his word (and just as good when you know what's coming)

Jaime confronting the Blackfish

Lead up to Jon decapitating Janos Slynt

Tyrion manipulating Aegon during cyvasse game

Wyalla Manderly's speech (and Wyman's when he releases Davos)

Too many. Not the best scene but one that sticks out to me that I never hear mentioned is the Jamie/Bri Tub scene. A lot of symbolism is the "cleansing" idea

Big moments for me

-"blood of my blood"(end of GOT)

-Mountain vs Viper

-"fetch me a block"

-bear pit

-Ned's fever dream

-Blackwater

-"a dragon is no slave"

-Davos at White Harbors court

-Kings Moot

Tons more I'm forgetting I'm sure

4 hours ago, Maxxine said:

Either Dany taking Astapor or when Arya reunites with Harwin

"A dragon is no slave."

"His eyes went wide, "Gods be good," he said in a choked voice. "Arya Underfoot? Lem, let go of her."

3 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

when Davos argues for Stannis at White Harbor in ADWD,

"What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!"

3 hours ago, LindsayLohan said:

Alys Karstark and Sigorn of Thenn. 

Excellent choices all of them

Also

When the horns are blown outside Winterfell and everyone thinks is Stannis.

"And a name passed from the lips of each man to the next, written in small white puffs of breath. Stannis, they whispered, Stannis is here, Stannis is come, Stannis, Stannis, Stannis."

Thinking about it there are many scenes involving Stannis that are fantastic.

But certainly the best scene of the books is the born of the dragons at the end of AGOT. It is a change of the tides, a quantum leap in the story. You know that everything will be different onwards.

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from its mouth and nostrils. The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

9 hours ago, LindsayLohan said:

Throughout the novels we see a series of forced marriages, wedding massacres, rapes, etc.  The institute of marriage is less "politics" and more "warfare" during the WOT5K.  Jon makes a political move, altering the power structure of the North, bringing Houses Thenn and Karstark together, and the wedding is actually shown as a tender moment.  Sigorn is genuinely happy and and nervous about his new pretty, highborn wife.  Alys feels empowered and the marriage helps create a new bond between Stark and Karstark that was shattered during the war.  The clansmen seem to approve of Jon's brokered marriage, and the Wildlings make their first real attempt at integration into the 7K.

Moreover, the wedding itself was written to be a beautiful, warm event.  Melissandre didn't go overboard with her religious zealotry, she seemed to embrace the joining of two people in marriage, and the mood spread to the entire event.  Jon noticed that Hobb did well with preparing a proper feast, the men of the Watch actually danced with the few ladies present, and it seemed like a moment of happiness and social progress.  It was the type of wedding that everyone would have wanted to attend.

It was one of the books' best scenes.

8 hours ago, Makk said:

Walder Fray chastising Robb about breaking his word (and just as good when you know what's coming)

Jaime confronting the Blackfish

Wyalla Manderly's speech (and Wyman's when he releases Davos)

8 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

-Mountain vs Viper

-Davos at White Harbors court

-Kings Moot

7 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Can't believe I'm picking an Iron Born chapter but the Kingmoot. Euron's speech was awesome and took me by surprised because I wasn't that into the Iron Born in general until then. 

Agreed, Kingsmoot was pretty cool - it sucked on TV but was great to read.  The tension on the Mountain vs. The Red Viper was one of the most compelling moments in the book, and I love the humor of Walder Frey and the Blackfish.

I hadn't thought about the Thenn/Karstark wedding but you're right - that was a great scene.  I also felt a sort of catharsis after Jon read the Pink Letter to the NW and Free Folk gathered at castle black and decided to march south.

Archived