What was the best scene from the books in your opinion?

Ser Loras The Gay

1 hour ago, Tralalala said:

The red wedding,ramsay taking winterfell and hitting theon,jaime getting dehanded... Ser Gregor Clegane vs that dornish slime that calls itself a prince...

Someone is mad at oberyn. Did you enjoy Jaime getting his hand cut? I really think it was a little too much, but, it was satisfying at the moment because of all the things he have done wrong. But later I regreted being happy at the event. And started pitying him.. He really has grown as a character.

Just now, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Someone is mad at oberyn. Did you enjoy Jaime getting his hand cut? I really think it was a little too much, but, it was satisfying at the moment because of all the things he have done wrong. But later I regreted being happy at the event. And started pitying him.. He really has grown as a character.

Yes i was gloating about jaime because he got himself into the situation,had he kept quiet his hand would most likely be there but he showed his idiocy again by saving brienne and playing hero.

28 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Tyrion crossbowing Tywin. It was so brilliant I voided myself in unison with Tywin when I first read it.

In all seriousness though, it was a masterpiece in exploring a relationship between the series’s two most interesting and complex characters.

Oh gosh I forgot that scene. Tywin couldn't have his mouth shut for 1 minute.

14 hours ago, Maxxine said:

when Arya reunites with Harwin

That really was good, wasn't it? And it probably marked the last time that Arya cried. Ever.

11 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Too many.

That.

Two from opposite ends of the chronology;

Finding the direwolf pups in the first chapter. A brilliant example of efficient character introduction (Ned is paternal, Robb's a leader, Jon's thoughtful, Bran's sweet, Theon is an arsehole) Plus foreshadowing!

Spoiler

And from Winds, Raff's murder in Mercy. A extremely lost Arya now only identifies with herself when she kills someone. The fact that the reader is cheering for her makes it sublime. Damn GRRM is a good writer.

Tyrion slapping the bejesus out of Joff in Winterfell (justice/karma), Arya throwing rocks at Nymeria (tears). Purple Wedding (overwhelming joy). Grey Wind eating 2 Umber digits ("your meat is bloody tough!"). Sam vs Small Paul, et al (the Slayer!). The Mountain vs The Hound in The Hand's Tourney (elegant fight writing). The Red Viper vs The Mountain (more awesome fight writing- "WHO GAVE THE ORDER?!"). Tyrion kills Tywin (yassssssssss). Jamie kills Cersei (oh, has that one not happened yet?)

6 hours ago, zandru said:

That really was good, wasn't it? And it probably marked the last time that Arya cried. Ever.

I think she also shed tears when she thought about giving up her Needle:

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.

“It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb… Robb… please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting… The white tears and the red ones ran together until her face was torn and tattered, the face that Ned had loved. Catelyn Stark raised her hands and watched the blood run down her long fingers, over her wrists, beneath the sleeves of her gown. Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed. “Mad,” someone said, “she’s lost her wits,” and someone else said, “Make an end,” and a hand grabbed her scalp just as she’d done with Jinglebell, and she thought, No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold.

I just love that scene.

Some I don't think have been mentioned:

Cersei having Lady killed

Renly and Stannis's parley

Sansa builds Winterfell out of snow

Brienne takes on the Bloody Mummers at the orphanage

I also like Arya hiding Needle and remembering her family and what she's lost

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from his mouth and nostrils.  The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

The best chapter in all of the books for me.  By far my favorite.  The last chapter of A Game of Thrones.  Viserion, Rhaegal, and Drogon came to life and Dany became the Mother of Dragons.

21 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

A very touching scene indeed, and strong. Are Arya your favourite character? Say others scenes you enjoy.

She is. And she has a lot of strong scenes and character development that I think get overlooked

The scene I remember getting me most excited on my first read was Daznak's Pit.  I remember my heart racing and my excitement vividly and I am not a huge Dany/Meereen fan.

Also, Brienne dropping a boulder onto a boat while she and Jaime escaped.  

Without doubt the best scene for me is the Red Wedding. I remember reading the chapter and then having to stop, my heart was racing and it took my breath away. I've never had a book do that to me before ... absolutely awesome writing.

My second choice is the scene where Maester Aemon reveals his identity to Jon Snow ... wow!

8 minutes ago, Scotty Blackfyre said:

My second choice is the scene where Maester Aemon reveals his identity to Jon Snow ... wow!

That's a damn good scene and I don't care for Jon.  Aemon made that scene great.  All Jon did was act his usual prickly self. 

1 hour ago, Bowen Marsh said:

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from his mouth and nostrils.  The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

The best chapter in all of the books for me.  By far my favorite.  The last chapter of A Game of Thrones.  Viserion, Rhaegal, and Drogon came to life and Dany became the Mother of Dragons.

This too.  I believe this is the biggest, most important moment in the books up to now.  The one that guaranteed a bestseller success for A Clash of Kings.

22 hours ago, Makk said:

Wyalla Manderly's speech (and Wyman's when he releases Davos)

^my first thought was this

12 hours ago, R.O.Edwards said:

Other than what has already been mentioned, Septon Meribald's broken man speech in AFFC. Brienne chapters in that book are worth reading just for that.

^the one I forgot and can't believe I forgot - broken man speech could be turned into a poem, a spoken word piece, taken completely away from ASOIAF and have so much weight and potency.  

Archived