What was the best scene from the books in your opinion?

Ser Loras The Gay

15 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Tywin couldn't have his mouth shut for 1 minute.

Another similarity between him and Tyrion. I have a small theory that when Tyrion dies (I think he will) it will be a similar scenario, where he refuses to back down and shut up under threat. It's a running theme with him (with Lysa in the Vale, at his trial), where his mouth gets him into trouble. 

Most of my favourties have already been mentioned, so I won't list them again, but in addition to that:

The scene in Jon XI in ADWD where he argues with Bowen Marsh, Torghen Flint and Brandon Norrey about letting the Wildlings through the Wall. 

Danaerys riding Drogon at the end of ADWD.

I'm just listening to the AGOT audiobook and Ned's execution scene and Arya's thoughts during it still make me really sad, even when I know what's comming. 

One of my favs is definitely Wyman Manderly revealing his plans to Davos, it really made me want to cheer for a character who up until then was mostly around to serve as the butt of jokes.  In that moment it all got real!!!

and later, his glee when serving those pies! I reveled along with him haaaa!

Many were already mentioned (Red Wedding, Littlefinger pushing Lysa out the Moon Door)...

Robb reuniting with Catelyn (AGOT)

Jon meeting Mance Rayder (ASOS)

Samwell manipulating Denys Mallister and Cotter Pyke (ASOS)

Roose Bolton talking to Theon/Reek about Ramsay (ADWD)

The scenes of Jon talking to Stannis in ADWD

Lots of great ones listed here. But one of my favorites is when blind Arya realizes she can see through the cat's eyes, and ultimately uses that to figure out who's attacking her. I just remember being wowed by that scene. Bran gets lots of training for his skin changing, and Jon gets some descriptions of warging from the wildlings, but Arya starts to discover and control her power all by herself.

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Only Cat" or "Vengance. Justice. Fire and Blood." Some have mentioned the chapter but not "The North Remembers Lord Davos and this mummers farce is at an end."

I thought those were the three best scenes in the whole series :D

The best scenes for me was Lady Stoneheart's reveal, the discovery of Ghost, Jaime and Cat's conversation, Arya and Balerion, Jaime's dream and subsequent rescue of Brienne, and Tyrion's prison break.

1 hour ago, irish72 said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Only Cat"

By all means. Sansa's last chapter in aSoS is one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read, and by far my favorite chapter. I especially like it because of the fact that Sansa is one of my least favorite POV's.

The Griffin Reborn definitely gets honorable mention on my personal list though...

On 4/11/2017 at 7:47 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from his mouth and nostrils.  The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

The best chapter in all of the books for me.  By far my favorite.  The last chapter of A Game of Thrones.  Viserion, Rhaegal, and Drogon came to life and Dany became the Mother of Dragons.

This.  Pure awesomeness.   Dany didn't just hatch the dragons.  She nursed them.  They see her not as a bonded human but as their mother.  They have a relationship that goes beyond the dragon-human bond. 

On 4/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Jaime burning Cersei's letter. To me that's a huge turning point in Jaime's story. Him realizing that despite how much he longs for her, that she's bad for him. Like any other drug.

I just read that chapter today and can't agree more. The key Lannister trait is narcissism: the belief that Lannisters are somehow superior to all other great families just by virtue of their name. The Twincest and its offsprings were nothing but an extreme manifestation of this narcissism, the desire to keep the Lannister bloodline absolutely pure. Jaime's turning his back on Cersei signifies his (much more mature and less sociopathic) understanding that the Lannister superiority complex is completely false. It is his coming to terms with his father's war crimes that will lead the Riverlands to starvation in the winter and his sister's complete self-absorbness and lack of any aspiration in life other than power for herself. The scene was beautifully understated and yet positive. There's hope for you yet, Kingslayer!

3 minutes ago, Jaime4Brienne said:

Dreamsongs mentioned my favorite scene--Jaime jumping one-handed and unarmed to save Brienne in the bear pit.

I can see from your profile name why you think that hahahaha.

And that scene was amazing, for many reasons. It was the pinnacle of the Jaime's transformation as a good person. A genuely good person.

2 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

I can see from your profile name why you think that hahahaha.

And that scene was amazing, for many reasons. It was the pinnacle of the Jaime's transformation as a good person. A genuely good person.

Yes, I may be slightly biased! :)

Archived