What was the best scene from the books in your opinion?

Ser Loras The Gay

I'm currently re-reading the series and have just finished ACOK, which I was looking forward to the least. Now, I appreciate it so much more; it's full of great chapters and scenes. One that hasn't been mentioned is Catelyn in Jamie's cell, an amazing piece of dialogue. It's not the only great dialogue, though, Renly's and Stannis' is great as well.

Other great scenes definitely include 'Only Cat', the epilogue chapter to ASOS, Cersei stepping into the High Septon's trap, Doran revealing his plans to Arianne, Davons in White Harbour, and Varys and Kevan in the Dance Epilogue. And yes, Arya revealing herself to Harwin had me well up a bit even on my third read.

There are a number of other scenes worth mentioning as well: The Ghost of High Heart, the third blast of the horn in the ASOS Prologue, Catelyn at the Whispering Woods, Theon and the hooded man in Winterfell, Brienne and Septon Meribald. And I still think "Mercy" is a masterpiece of storytelling.

On 4/19/2017 at 9:53 PM, Therae said:

I really liked that scene where Jaime goldhand-smashes Red Ronnet in his stupid face for talking smack about Brienne.

I loved that scene. I especially like how he defended her even though she was nowhere around and probably would never know about it.

For me it was Briennes chapter were she kills Rorge and the others.....this scene was very intensive for me.How i imagine an inn full of frightened children,Rorge treatening to rape Willow and Brienne rescuing her and all these happening  while rainning ,i dont know its kind of a creepy but intresting scene.(at least for me)

I agree with a lot of these. 

I'd also like to add that Theon/Reek (one of my least favourite characters) has some powerful scenes in ADwD,showing a man broken in mind, body and spirit.  I think these are examples of some of GRRM's best and most atmospheric writing.

Snow was falling on the godswood too, melting when it touched the ground. Beneath the white-cloaked trees the earth had turned to mud. Tendrils of mist hung in the air like ghostly ribbons. Why did I come here? These are not my gods. This is not my place. The heart tree stood before him, a pale giant with a carved face and leaves like bloody hands. A thin film of ice covered the surface of the pool beneath the weirwood. Theon sank to his knees beside it. “Please,” he murmured through his broken teeth, “I never meant …” The words caught in his throat. “Save me,” he finally managed. “Give me …” What? Strength? Courage? Mercy? Snow fell around him, pale and silent, keeping its own counsel. The only sound was a faint soft sobbing. Jeyne, he thought. It is her, sobbing in her bridal bed. Who else could it be? Gods do not weep. Or do they?

The sound was too painful to endure. Theon grabbed hold of a branch and pulled himself back to his feet, knocked the snow off his legs, and limped back toward the lights. There are ghosts in Winterfell, he thought, and I am one of them.

Then there is the scene before the heart tree when Bran says Theon's name.  And later, on the way to rescue Jeyne, when he's remembering playing soldiers in the tower:

They were all dead now. Jory, old Ser Rodrik, Lord Eddard, Harwin and Hullen, Cayn and Desmond and Fat Tom, Alyn with his dreams of knighthood, Mikken who had given him his first real sword. Even Old Nan, like as not. And Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy’s loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him.

2 hours ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

I absolutely loved it when Stannis and his army made a surprise appearence in the Asos jon chapter where Mance and Jon meet beyond the wall. It was so unexpected to me and completely shifted the tone/pace of the chapter. The ending was perfect.

Ya know what, that scene really holds its edge. It was a huge shift for the entire northern arc of the story, two large forces coming together on page really pushed the plot along. It was a rushing, exciting scene.

Poor eagle :(

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, Valedina said:

For me it was Briennes chapter were she kills Rorge and the others.....this scene was very intensive for me.How i imagine an inn full of frightened children,Rorge treatening to rape Willow and Brienne rescuing her and all these happening  while rainning ,i dont know its kind of a creepy but intresting scene.(at least for me)

I am surprised this one hasn't been mentioned more times.  When she notices how much Gendry looks like Robert, the storm that is going on, and how vicious Biter is makes for one amazing chapter. 

I know I'm biased, but I have a special love for this particular scene because of how it was written.

Don't tell me that those three paragraphs didn't make you root for Griff, come on!

Alone in the tent, as the gold and scarlet rays of the setting sun shone through the open flap, Jon Connington shrugged off his wolfskin cloak, slipped his mail shirt off over his head, settled on a camp stool, and peeled the glove from his right hand. The nail on his middle finger had turned as black as jet, he saw, and the grey had crept up almost to the first knuckle. The tip of his ring finger had begun to darken too, and when he touched it with the point of his dagger, he felt nothing.

Death, he knew, but slow. I still have time. A year. Two years. Five. Some stone men live for ten. Time enough to cross the sea, to see Griffin' s Roost again. To end the Usurper' s line for good and all, and put Rhaegar's son upon the Iron Throne.

Then Lord Jon Connington could die content.

5 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

I know I'm biased, but I have a special love for this particular scene because of how it was written.

Don't tell me that those three paragraphs didn't make you root for Griff, come on!

And when he sees the "young griff" on the tower and remember Rhaegar, epic as well.

Archived