Heterochromia and greatness

Lord Varys

Tyrion, Euron, and Shiera Seastar seem to suffer from heterochromia iridum (mismatched eyes).

In some of the medieval version of the romances of Alexander the Great the guy has mismatched eyes, too.

Assuming George knows that, too, we can expect great things from those characters.

All we know about Shiera is that she was a great beauty. But perhaps that's not all of it. We have to wait and see.

But Tyrion and Euron are really great people already. Euron could become a great sorcerer-king and conqueror, drowning Westeros in blood before he is finally put down.

And Tyrion is in the midst of things since the first book, very likely to return there once he comes to Westeros with Daenerys.

But could he ever become king, like Alexander? There is the whole shadow thing in AGoT. It stands as tall as a king. Could he become king? If he becomes a dragonrider he could literally cast a shadow as large as Dany on the the earth.

Well, half of the characters have some kingly/queenly foreshadowing attached to them. Arya, Sansa, Jaime, Jon just from the top of my head. Not all of them will become queen/king.

But I always thought that Tyrion will survive the series and he will mainly in charge of the rebuilding of Westeros (along with people like Sam or Davos). Perhaps he will manage to keep the continent united in some kind of confederation, etc.

I imagine the end of the book with Tyrion watching the dragons fly for a last time, knowing that a lot of work is ahead, then we switch to Dany (or Jon) as they go kamikaze against the Hearth of the Winter.

He could certainly take the throne through a combination of dragon riding, political tomfoolery and other events which may bring down the other players in this game.

The Mighty Vhagar deeming young Aemond One-Eye a worthy rider seems like a good foreshadowing of a dragon having no prejudice when it comes to a potential human companion, so Tyrion riding a dragon is certainly not out of the question. 

For Tyrion to actually be crowned may take him being chosen by one of Dany's dragons,  Dany, Aegon, Cersei, Mace and other players dying, and a great shift in public perception towards the "twisted little imp".

If Tyrion eventually reunites with young Aegon, then the involvement of his elephants would also tie in to your proposal.

I wouldn't be sure that Euron is heterochromatic. I suspect there is a more magical explanation for his left eye. Also as the information regarding Shiera's eyes comes from guidance George gave to an artist rather than the text, I would downplay it's significance.

Although Tyrion is undoubtedly a "great" person, (however future Lord of Casterly Rock & Hand of the King rather than King & dragonrider IMO,) I suspect his mis-matched eyes are more about his general sinister appearance than any signal of greatness.

As for Alexander the Great, in Persian tales he is depicted as having horns. Don't think this means a goat will be King, that only happens in county Kerry!

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, rotting sea cow said:

Well, half of the characters have some kingly/queenly foreshadowing attached to them. Arya, Sansa, Jaime, Jon just from the top of my head. Not all of them will become queen/king.

Yes they will, besides Jaime, but the line concerning Jaime wasn't foreshadowing that he will be king, but that he should be king. Which will prove true, he won't be king but he'll prove himself most fit for the job.

Tyrion and Sansa will become King and Queen by out politicking Cersei in a Great Council after Dany is thrown out in a KL revolt. Like Alexander (in one of the versions), Tyrion will die by wine poisoned by his wife. Also his revisited nightmare/fear of not being able to speak is straight from one of the versions of Alexander's death.

And though I won't elaborate on it now it's worth pointing out that GRRM has obviously taken inspiration from the fall of Sogdiana. The cliff citadel whose commander asked Alexander if he could fly, because he'd need winged soldiers to take the citadel. Alexander took Sogdiana with climbers and it was there he met his first wife, the reputably beautiful sixteen year old Roxanne.

If you take into account those with one eye, you could include Aemond and Brynden Rivers. While they don’t have “mismatched” eyes as such, Aemond has a sapphire in his socket, and Brynden (I think?) has one red eye and one taken out, which could mean the same thing symbolically.

Tyrion is, in my opinion, way to politically poisonous to ever gain much control again. The common people despise him thanks to Tywin and Cersei, and the commoners are just mistrustful of dwarfs in general. Even the people who know Tyrion well and trust him will want to keep it secret that they're getting his help. He'll never be hand again, just a secret background adviser if that.

Archived