US Politics: Passing Gas In Public is Abhorrent Behavior

Sivin

So now we understand why Trump came up with the accusation that Obama used the British to spy on Trump. Obviously US Intelligence services advised him they had received information from the Brits about contacts between his personnel and Russians.

7 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Change the names (and the motivation) and this seems almost like a repeat from a few years ago:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politics/government-shutdown-health-care-congress/

I love though how McConnell is "warning the Democrats of the perils of a government shutdown", supposedly in reference to the 2013 shutdown. Yeah, that really hurt the Republicans in 2014, didn't it? :rolleyes:

I mean, it should have, but since it didn't I can't exactly see why the Democrats should be worried about that this time around. Voters' memories don't seem to be that long, and at least the Democrats have an arguably valid reason given Trump's health care comments.

12 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Change the names (and the motivation) and this seems almost like a repeat from a few years ago:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politics/government-shutdown-health-care-congress/

It's the same GOP bullshit.  Tie changes to laws they don't have votes to pass to short term budget crisis and then blame democrats when they don't pass and crisis hits.

Likely they'll be rewarded again for it.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Can KJU hold his position in NK if he blinks?  

By virtue of having murdered all possible viable alternatives, yes. Trying to install a new dictator from a different family I suspect would be far too radical a step at this moment in time and would also likely result in a total collapse of the government.. It depends how significantly weak him backing down looks. Simply not having the test this weekend will be fine. Him rolling over and giving up his nuclear programme altogether is another matter.

If you believe in the importance of local elections, some of the local level stuff that happened in Illinois this week is interesting.

• The city of Kankakee elected its first African-American, Democratic mayor.
  • West Deerfield Township will be led entirely by Democrats for the first time.
  • Elgin Township voted for “a complete changeover,” flipping to an all-Democratic board.
  • Normal Township elected Democratic supervisors and trustees to run its board ― the first time in more than 100 years that a single Democrat has held a seat.

I'm not gonna push these elections as some kind of bellwhether for higher-level elections in the future (although you have to give mad props whenever a place suddenly breaks a century-long trend). What's interesting to me is the comments sections on the sites where these results are being discussed. Even at this level, news like this really gets progressives fired up.

And that makes me realize just how important the upcoming GA special election could be. If Ossoff actually pulls it off, it's gonna spark a shitload of fundraising and voluntary work. If he doesn't, it might have quite the demoralizing effect after Kansas, even if neither of those seats were ever supposed to flip blue. From a morale standpoint, it's a crying shame that none of the first special elections in the Trump era were easier flips for the Democrats, because that could really start some waves. Here's hoping for Ossoff to get this stuff off the ground.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm being half serious. The CNN article I read implied that the three hundred million dollar price tag was for just one bomb. 

That's fair, but he thinks CNN is on the level of Breitbart.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm being half serious. The CNN article I read implied that the three hundred million dollar price tag was for just one bomb. 

Replace 'fake' with 'just generally shoddy', and I think you're pretty much on the mark.

3 hours ago, denstorebog said:

And that makes me realize just how important the upcoming GA special election could be. If Ossoff actually pulls it off, it's gonna spark a shitload of fundraising and voluntary work. If he doesn't, it might have quite the demoralizing effect after Kansas, even if neither of those seats were ever supposed to flip blue. From a morale standpoint, it's a crying shame that none of the first special elections in the Trump era were easier flips for the Democrats, because that could really start some waves. Here's hoping for Ossoff to get this stuff off the ground.

I think what will help prevent a GA loss from being demoralizing is that (some of) the national Democratic organizations are involved in the race. So if there's a loss it really is because the seat is just too red, rather than because Democrats didn't try. If there was a close race and the national party was not involved at all, I think after what happened Kansas there'd be way more energy spent attacking the national party than focusing on beating Republicans.

Also, the special election next week will probably be draw. There's a chance Ossoff gets to 50% and wins outright, but its much more likely he'll have to face a runoff in June against whichever Republican emerges from the pack. And by the time that runoff occurs, there will have already been the Montana special election where Democrats also have a good pick-up opportunity (certainly not guaranteed though). If they can win that, that'll help keep people fired up even if Georgia is ultimately a loss.

Yes. The DNC and their blundering incompetence lost the Kansas seat. They're totally untrustworthy and not promoting the interests of the party and democrats need to organize anew organization that does. Maybe Howard dean can head it since he isn't a blinded D.C. Moron.

Earlier this week I posted about the fact the governor of Alabama resigned because of a sex scandal.

His wife was the one who reported what he was doing. The idiot didn't realize that his state supplied iPhone was synced to his iPad, which was at home, where his wife then saw all his texts to his mistress.

Just thought you needed a laugh. :P

12 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Yes. The DNC and their blundering incompetence lost the Kansas seat. They're totally untrustworthy and not promoting the interests of the party and democrats need to organize anew organization that does. Maybe Howard dean can head it since he isn't a blinded D.C. Moron.

Important to note, the DNC has faults, but they aren't the problem here. It is the DCCC that is an amazing collection of fuckups not trying to win elections (there's some truth to that tweet thread linked above). Also, don't conflate the DCCC and the DSCC, the later sometimes mess up but they really do try their hardest for the nost part and have some really good tecent successes and best efforts.

There's also the DGA and DSLC, but their problem is they often just don't have the funding to do much.

Archived