US Politics: Passing Gas In Public is Abhorrent Behavior

Sivin

39 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

From the comments, barring something dramatic (like a 'popular' war or just maybe his 'Hire American' executive order), I see Trumps overall approval rating trending steadily downhill, along with a continual gradual erosion of his base.

If he manages to force the creation of a non-negligible number of decent jobs outside of the large cities (it doesn't matter how), almost everything else will be forgiven. If not, it almost doesn't matter what else he does. The exception to both of those "almost" qualifiers is something on the scale of a major war.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

We have a managed dairy system, using quotas. Dairy farmers in Canada do very well, and we (the public) pay twice as much for milk as Americans. Milk was covered by NAFTA, and would have been further covered by TPP, as Fez said. The issue between Wisconsin and Canada is filtered milk, which boosts protein in cheese, a relatively new product that wasn't covered by NAFTA because, I think, it didn't exist at the time.

Frankly, I don't give a shit about Wisconsin dairy farmers, they have a market of 330 million people to sell to. Canadian dairy farmers don't sell to the US because our milk is too expensive. Any dairy products we sell to them are made with US milk, which comes in duty free for export back to the US.

As for your milk, why don't you just manage your supply better? (That was a joke...).

We already buy a staggering amount of food from the US (winter fruits and vegetables), Canada will be protecting its dairy farmers, methinks.

Yet you have a mountain of skim milk that you can't sell, because your managed dairy system is WTO non-compliant and thus you are barred from international trade in skim milk powder. So there is potential significant export revenue that would help your dairy farmers that does not exist because you think you are keeping dairy farmers afloat.

You actually sell about as much food and beverage to the USA as the USA sells to you. In a two way trade that amounts to $59Bn annually (2016) there is only a $1Bn difference in favour of US exports to Canada. You could probably reverse that and put Canada ahead since the USA is a much larger market. For instance our food trade balance with the USA is $3.2Bn in exports and $408Mn in imports, and we have no economically protected industries and low tariffs. Though we do have several biosecurity barriers across a wide range of food products which fully comply with WTO rules. We're not totally comparable food producing economies, but a more open food trading market typically advantages the smaller country.

10 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Interesting. A big chunk of Cobb County just came in, and Ossoff is barely holding on to a majority. There's still 1/3 of precincts in DeKalb County remaining, which is much more favorable to Ossoff. I know DeKalb trends more liberal and Cobb more conservative. Anyone know anything about Fulton County trends? It has the fewest number of precincts reporting right now...by a country mile.

trump won fulton by 3 pts

eta: as opposed to cobb where we won by 15

5 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Interesting. A big chunk of Cobb County just came in, and Ossoff is barely holding on to a majority. There's still 1/3 of precincts in DeKalb County remaining, which is much more favorable to Ossoff. I know DeKalb trends more liberal and Cobb more conservative. Anyone know anything about Fulton County trends? It has the fewest number of precincts reporting right now...by a country mile.

The parts of Dekalb and Fulton counties that make up the 6th district actually tend more conservative.  It's mostly middle and upper middle class white folks. 

2 minutes ago, r'hllor's reformed lobster said:

trump won fulton by 3 pts

No, Hillary won Fulton.  It wasn't even close.  

Trump may have led in the area of Fulton that encompasses the 6th district.  The 6th is the most conservative in the Atlanta metro area.  

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Yeah, this says Clinton won Fulton with 69% of the vote. But you're right in that it depends which parts of each county fall into the 6th district.

In a straight comparison to the Presidential election, the minimal amount of precincts reporting from Fulton would be good news for Ossoff, because Clinton crushed it in Fulton with 80% of the vote. But Ossoff is underperforming Clinton by about 12 points in DeKalb and about 7 points in Cobb.

I think we'd have to look at each individual precinct.  Hillary turned virtually every Atlanta metro county blue.  But the 6th is the conservative area of the metro area.  I'm not sure if he's truly underperforming Hillary in those areas.

All the news I've been watching are reporting on it as though the 6th encompasses the entire Fulton, Dekalb and Cobb counties.  it's really frustrating.  They are using wrong numbers. 

I can't watch this anymore.  It's almost too unbearable.  If Ossoff loses (which he will because if it goes to a run off, he's definitely done), it says that decency is completely dead. There's almost no more hope that we'd be able to get rid of Trump and the Republican scum that support him.   

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yet you have a mountain of skim milk that you can't sell, because your managed dairy system is WTO non-compliant and thus you are barred from international trade in skim milk powder. So there is potential significant export revenue that would help your dairy farmers that does not exist because you think you are keeping dairy farmers afloat.

You actually sell about as much food and beverage to the USA as the USA sells to you. In a two way trade that amounts to $59Bn annually (2016) there is only a $1Bn difference in favour of US exports to Canada. You could probably reverse that and put Canada ahead since the USA is a much larger market. For instance our food trade balance with the USA is $3.2Bn in exports and $408Mn in imports, and we have no economically protected industries and low tariffs. Though we do have several biosecurity barriers across a wide range of food products which fully comply with WTO rules. We're not totally comparable food producing economies, but a more open food trading market typically advantages the smaller country.

Skim "milk" is not milk.  It is white colored water.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Skim "milk" is not milk.  It is white colored water.

Well actually he's talking about dehydrated milk, so its white chalk.  Dehydrated is much easier to store and transport. 

Well when the WaPo article w a 5:20 pm dateline started talking down the expectations then I figured it would probably go to a runoff.

I mean yes they're in the tank for the Dems but they still arent quite Baghdad Bob.  But the DNC got to raise a lot of money from across the country and they and the media basically had a free roll here on the 'people reject Trump' narrative.  

7 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Nate Cohn is saying he needs 49% of the 55k votes remaining in Fulton County. He's estimating he will pick up approximately 45% instead.

i think that was if he hit the benchmarks of 60% in dekalb and 43% in cobb, which he fell short of. he is at like 55% in fulton now, and that its keeping him just a hair over 50%. any lower vote share and its runoff baby

I'm entirely convinced nothing about GA-6 matters. He won't take 50%+, so it will go to runoff, and he won't win. If he did win, it wouldn't matter, because he can change zero (0) results in a hostile Republican-controlled house and he will lose it in 2018. Everything is terrible and mostly I am annoyed with my idiot fellow liberals who think that losing by less than usual is the same as winning. Is your guy in Congress? No? Then shut the fuck up.

Archived