US Politics: Passing Gas In Public is Abhorrent Behavior

Sivin

I agree with m'lord above. I see more blue collar types in a day than Sanders sees in a decade and not one of them (that I know) saw him as anything other than a communist Jew looking to steal their money so that fucking millennials could have a free ride. His supporters were kids my age, not weathered workmen who had Ironworkers Support Obama/ Biden stickers on their cars nine years ago. The suggestion that Sanders would have beaten Trump in the general is nothing more than a fantasy.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:25 AM, Maithanet said:

House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz will not seek reelection.

Apparently he got tired of angry town halls where people yell at him for not doing his job? 

Now he's saying he might not even finish his term.

This sounds less like him being sick of the job and more that there's a scandal about to break.

Clearly Chaffetz is running from something. I thought this was about being Governor in 2020 but it doesn't make sense to step down now. Either someone has something on him or he's running away from being Chair of House Oversight. But even that doesn't seem to really make sense to me.

ETA: Fez beat me to it. Agreed, something is really fishy here. 

6 hours ago, mormont said:

No, this is just not true. For one thing, Sanders-supporting voters are not even near the majority of Democratic voters: he wasn't ever really near winning the nomination. For another, the idea that Trump won because of working-class Dems being disgusted by Clinton's Wall Street ties has been undermined over and over again. These voters did not vote for a billionaire because they were worried about Clinton's links to billionaires. They voted for Trump because they liked what they heard from him on race and immigration, as Terra points out: issues on which Sanders would have been even more out of step with their views than Clinton was.

I think you are painting working class voters with way too broad a brush.  Race and immigration were scapegoats used by Trump to explain the decline of the white working man, one of the oldest tricks in the book.  But while many were eager to hear it, that does not mean that every working class voter who voted for Trump is racist and anti-immigrant, or if they are, that those are their primary concerns.  Their primary concern is jobs.  Particularly up north where job loss is mainly due to automation and Capitalist outsourcing, not illegal immigration.  That is right in Bernie's wheelhouse and he wouldn't have needed to have a clean sweep white of working class voters, just enough to keep Pa, Michigan, Wisconsin in the Democratic fold.  

I agree that it is completely absurd that a man who lives in a golden NYC penthouse was anointed champion of the working man, and that it worked, but his opponent was someone that conservative media has been working over for damn near 30 years.  It was a terrible match-up.  I readily admit that some of these voters were motivated by racist and xenophobic tendencies, but that is not the whole story, and I am not at all convinced that Clinton was the best shot the Democrats could have had at defeating Trump.  

6 hours ago, WinterFox said:

I agree with m'lord above. I see more blue collar types in a day than Sanders sees in a decade and not one of them (that I know) saw him as anything other than a communist Jew looking to steal their money so that fucking millennials could have a free ride. His supporters were kids my age, not weathered workmen who had Ironworkers Support Obama/ Biden stickers on their cars nine years ago. The suggestion that Sanders would have beaten Trump in the general is nothing more than a fantasy.

I'd just point out that the suggestion that Donald fucking Trump would be President of the United States seemed like nothing more than fantasy until it wasn't. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Please let it be a Melo situation. Pretty please! 

I could easily see that. The whole "I need to spend more time with my family" screams affair.

ETA: Also, as much as I hate quoting Louise Mensch, she called this 7 days ago.

6 minutes ago, Commodore said:

could also be some cushy lobbying/board of directors job lined up, perhaps to clear the field for Romney to replace Hatch

Why would he do this? How many congressman with high profile positions like the Chair of House Oversight, who have shown ambition in the past, quit mid term to become a lobbyist? That doesn't fit, especially given the sudden nature of his impending resignation.

48 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I could easily see that. The whole "I need to spend more time with my family" screams affair.

ETA: Also, as much as I hate quoting Louise Mensch, she called this 7 days ago.

On the other hand, she's also peddling that Bernie Sanders is a Russian agent and that's why he wouldn't share his email lists with Clinton et. al.

Her claim on Chaffetz is currently that the Russians are blackmailing him over money laundering and that the FBI know about it. Either the Russians are controlling damn near everybody these days, or Mensch lives in a John Grisham novel. Me and Occam's Razor want to hear more from official sources before we start believing anything from her.

2 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

On the other hand, she's also peddling that Bernie Sanders is a Russian agent and that's why he wouldn't share his email lists with Clinton et. al.

Her claim on Chaffetz is currently that the Russians are blackmailing him over money laundering and that the FBI know about it. Either the Russians are controlling damn near everybody these days, or Mensch lives in a John Grisham novel. Me and Occam's Razor want to hear more from official sources before we start believing anything from her.

Oh trust me, I agree on Mensch. Hence why I said "as much as I hate quoting her". But it is true she called this a week ago before anyone was mentioning Chaffetz, she did the same thing with the FISA warrant and the Alfa Bank/Spectrum/Trump Tower data replication theory that was crowdsourced looks sound. She might be a crack pot (and I think she is on a lot of stuff) but I think she's one with a few legitimate sources.

56 minutes ago, Commodore said:

could also be some cushy lobbying/board of directors job lined up, perhaps to clear the field for Romney to replace Hatch

That doesn't make any sense. He wouldn't leave if he wasn't running from something, and there's no way Mittens wants to be a Senator. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That doesn't make any sense. He wouldn't leave if he wasn't running from something, and there's no way Mittens wants to be a Senator. 

I think he really could be up to his neck in Russiagate. Mensch tweeted something about that.

One less Republican scumbag in the House. Yay! 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

I think he really could be up to his neck in Russiagate. Mensch tweeted something about that.

I don't buy the whole money laundering angle but an affair, that I can understand.

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

While the thought of him in prison is appealing, I'd still prefer to find out that he knocked up a "dancer." 

1 hour ago, S John said:

I think you are painting working class voters with way too broad a brush.

I'm summarising the actual findings of research into the election.

ETA -  I'm not dismissing what you're saying, by the way, but by the same token, Clinton being a poor choice of opponent for Trump does not mean Sanders was a better one. He wasn't.

You'd think these Antifas/Free Speech Deniers would've figured out by now that no reaction trumps violent reaction. I hope they dummy up and no one shows up for this nothing's "speech". Please don't give her the publicity she so desperately wants.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/20/524830514/ann-coulter-vows-to-speak-at-uc-berkeley-despite-planned-speech-cancellation?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

A more down-to-earth explanation for Chaffetz' behaviour.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/04/19/another-republican-tasked-with-investigating-trump-steps-aside/?utm_term=.0dd2d054b7a0

Even before Chaffetz announced his abrupt exit, his political luck had suffered a steep decline when Trump was elected. As oversight chairman, he was preparing to spend four years investigating President Hillary Clinton’s alleged scandals and misdeeds. Then the Republicans unexpectedly seized control of the White House, leaving Chaffetz with the unenviable task of policing his own party. It was a fraught job to begin with, and his casual attitude toward the Trump family’s potential conflicts of interest — demonstrated in his interview with me last month — has only increased the pressure on him.  

“Aside from Trump and Clinton,” one Utah Republican told me last month, “nobody’s fortunes changed more on presidential election night than Jason Chaffetz.”

Archived