WinterFox

US Politics: Passing Gas In Public is Abhorrent Behavior

401 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

A representative for PBS declined to mention which character would be in attendance, but we can only hope it ends up being Oscar the Grouch.

May the Big Bird of Sesame Street drop heavy stinky load the Prez's fancy hairdo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I'll agree with your overall point that the Soviets would have won, but their manufacturing was nowhere near America's,their food production had cratered, they were at the end of their manpower reserves, and still dependent on the Allies for many natural resources and things like trucks and trains. That, and the Sherman outperformed the Soviet Tanks in Korea.

The Sherman was a shitty tank.  It won via numbers not by superiority of design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Random question: Has Sean Spicer ever been respected by his peers?  

Sean Spicer opens piehole and spews toxic gas all over the truth.  Well, maybe KelleyAnne Conway* respects him. 

 

*Where'd she go any way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Sherman was a shitty tank.  It won via numbers not by superiority of design.

Mass production, both by the US and the USSR, beat the overengineered and hence far too expensive German vehicles. Part of that was that Germany had less resources than the Allies and hence had to rely on superior training and technology of the individual pieces of equipment - but another part of that was Hitler's mistaken assumption that bigger weapons were better. The search for a "wonder weapon" hindered the development of cheaper, mass produced designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tgftv,

Stalin did say "Quantity has a quality all its own."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

tgftv,

Stalin did say "Quantity has a quality all its own."

When I was a younger man, that seems to have been my philosophy towards beer selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

CNN is reporting that the WAPO is reporting it was Carter Page who was the subject of the infamous FISA warrant, which the government obtained on the grounds he may have been a foreign agent.

So....on one hand the WH denied Page was an adviser to Trump, even though early in Trump's campaign they described him as an adviser. A couple of weeks ago, of course, the WH said he really wasn't an adviser, that he was barely connected to the campaign. Yet this apparently must be the spying Trump said was the evidence of Obama spying on him.

Page himself has apparently released a statement (a brief statement read by Anderson Cooper) about how he's happy that the news of the disgusting, corrupt actions of the previous administration have come out.

I don't see anything on the WAPO web page, nor does anything show up when I search Carter Page. I assume more will be out soon.

Edited by Fragile Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing Trump's response will still be to feel somewhat vindicated.

Quote

Republican and Democratic lawmakers and aides have so far found no evidence that Obama administration officials did anything unusual or illegal by requesting the “unmasking” of US individuals’ identities, multiple sources in both parties say.

Their private assessment comes after a review of the same intelligence reports brought to light by House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes. It also contradicts President Donald Trump’s allegations that former Obama national security adviser Susan Rice broke the law by requesting some individuals in the intelligence reports be identified, or unmasked.

One congressional intelligence source described the requests made by Rice as “normal and appropriate.” Another source said there's "absolutely" no smoking gun in the reports, urging the White House to declassify them to make clear there was nothing alarming in the documents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just to add to the Buffet of Bad News (for the WH), the much-anticipated Kansas special election is underway. Way too early to call, but incoming results certainly looks interesting. I recommend following http://www.dailykos.com/ for the nitty-gritty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Estes will probably get over the line in the end, but with perhaps not the sort of majority that makes Republicans feel comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming up on 50% of the votes counted and a goddamn near 50/50 split between candidates. Don't have a clear picture of the makeup of the uncounted districts, but this is gonna be a moral win for the Democrats, if not an actual win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Random question: Has Sean Spicer ever been respected by his peers?  

 

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A scare for Republicans. But with AHCA muddying the waters a bit about who's at fault for the tighter than it should have been race I'm not sure the party will necessarily learn the lesson it should learn from this result. I suspect the typical response will be "[insert name] isn't conservative enough"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re. Spicer's Hitler gas gaff, are we certain Hitler wouldn't have used chemical weapons in the same manner as Assad if Hitler had been fighting a civil war? Hitler only didn't bomb German neighbourhoods with chemical weapons because he wasn't actually bombing German neighbourhoods at all.

So even if Spicer hadn't almost become the new hero to the Holocaust denial movement and had made a less hamfisted comparison between Assad and Hitler. The domestic circumstances each of these tyrants faced are not comparable in any way.

Does Spicer write his own talking points, or was this a Bannon special perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Looks like Estes will probably get over the line in the end, but with perhaps not the sort of majority that makes Republicans feel comfortable.

hard to read much into low turnout special house elections, Dems won a bunch of them leading up to Nov 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Does Spicer write his own talking points, or was this a Bannon special perhaps?

Eh, I don't think we're gonna see a lot of Bannon specials in the near future. Or, to put it in another way, if this was a Bannon special, we'll probably see Bannon getting the boot now.

As much as I love seeing Spicey getting the outraged media treatment, I don't think there's anything to it. Why the fuck would anyone want to put him out there and make him deliberately favor Hitler over Assad? Unless there's a bet in the administration as to who can make Spicer say the most outrageous, which would explain a lot.

Edited by denstorebog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

A scare for Republicans. But with AHCA muddying the waters a bit about who's at fault for the tighter than it should have been race I'm not sure the party will necessarily learn the lesson it should learn from this result. I suspect the typical response will be "[insert name] isn't conservative enough"

but what about on the other end? the dnc is giving almost no support to thompson because “There are thousands of elections every year,” acoording to perez. gotta wonder what kind message that sends to potential donors in other possibly competive congressional races

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Unless there's a bet in the administration as to who can make Spicer say the most outrageous, which would explain a lot.

That would be the best office pool ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Commodore said:

hard to read much into low turnout special house elections, Dems won a bunch of them leading up to Nov 2010

Did they? According to Wikipedia the Democrats went into the 2010 House elections with one less seat than what they won in 2008. So if the Dems won a bunch of special elections leading up to Nov 2010, then they lost a bunch+1 in the same timeframe. So that suggest the writing was on the wall for a reversal of fortune compared to 2008. But perhaps not as huge a reversal as one might have thought.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

Eh, I don't think we're gonna see a lot of Bannon specials in the near future. Or, to put it in another way, if this was a Bannon special, we'll probably see Bannon getting the boot now.

As much as I love seeing Spicey getting the outraged media treatment, I don't think there's anything to it. Why the fuck would anyone want to put him out there and make him deliberately favor Hitler over Assad? Unless there's a bet in the administration as to who can make Spicer say the most outrageous, which would explain a lot.

Did Spicer seem to be reading from a script with the Hitler comment or did he seem to be thinking on his feet with it? If I was Spicer and someone fed me that line, a) I'd be so embarrassed to have not noticed what total BS such a statement and b ) if I was facing the axe I'd make damned sure I wasn't the only one going down for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.