Football - #WengerOut

Consigliere

Great result for Monaco earlier today. Dortmund were woeful in the first half, improved in the 2nd and gave themselves a chance of getting through although Monaco will be favourites. Another poor display from Barca yesterday. Think Juve will be a much tougher proposition so long as they don't make the same mistake PSG did by going negative, sitting much too deep and inviting pressure.

The Bayern/Madrid game has turned in Madrid's favour. They have looked much more threatening in the 2nd half and now with Martinez sent off they should be favourites to go on and get the win.

Good result for Leicester. Didn't actually watch the game but I've read that the penalty decision for Atleti was a contentious one (the foul taking place just outside the box). I'm sure had Leicester been offered a 1-0 defeat before the game, they would have taken it. The dream is still alive. Good result for Real although they missed a few good chances to kill off the tie.

BVB clearly not ready to play less than a day after nearly being killed. Having settled in the second half they were the better side. UEFA's insistence that it go ahead so soon must be questioned.

Martinez' red did indeed change the game. Bayern should have been a couple of goals up at the break, but had Neuer to thank in the end that it was not far worse. The sending off was a little harsh as Ronaldo really went looking for it. I'd say that the late disallowal of Ramos' goal was the only major call the officials got right across the three matches all night. Ironically it was probably the hardest of the lot.

Yeah, I think that UEFA should have exercised some common sense and rescheduled the match for next week with the 2nd leg on either the 25th or 26th since the semi final first legs are only due to be played on the 2nd and 3rd May - not sure if there would be a conflict with domestic fixtures though.

ETA. Lewandowski returning will be a big boost for Bayern next week and Douglas Costa needs to start in place of Ribery.

Voting for PFA player of the year takes place far too early.  Sanchez instead of Alli is very suspect.  Other nominees, Zlatan, Kante, Hazard, Lukaku, Kane.

Young player, Alli, Kane, Keane, Lukaku (how is he still eligible, he must have made his debut at 11), Pickford and Sane. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Voting for PFA player of the year takes place far too early.  Sanchez instead of Alli is very suspect.  Other nominees, Zlatan, Kante, Hazard, Lukaku, Kane.

Young player, Alli, Kane, Keane, Lukaku (how is he still eligible, he must have made his debut at 11), Pickford and Sane. 

James Milner won the award in 2010 having made his Premier League debut in 2002.

Lukaku's in his last year of eligibility having made his debut for Chelsea in 2011. But he played for Anderlecht for two seasons before that.

On the actual Player of the Year award, Sanchez is 100% a worthy nominee. 22 goals, 12 assists so far this season. Alli's had a great year too but better than Sanchez? Only if you look at the last few weeks, which is the big problem with these awards - people tend to do just that. I don't see anyone else on that list I'd drop for Alli either. It's a very strong list.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Zlatan would just miss out for me, deserves a nomination I suppose. Alli deserves it as well though.

Kane has looked good but missed too much time. Lukaku is topscorer, has a case, but for me he is not the player of the year.

Kante-worthwile and important but not PotY. I'll say Hazard.

Alli has to win young player. Sane has done very little, what's he doing there.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Sane has done very little, what's he doing there.

Alli should win pretty clear but Sane's a great player. One I find weirdly boring to watch but he's been devastating teams pretty often this season.

It's a joke that players nominated for the main award can also be in the young player vote.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

For me there is little between Alli and Sanchez over the season, but someone who spits the dummy and goes missing so often when he isn't getting what he wants should be automatically barred from nomination.

Does winning Copa America count in Alexis' favor on this?

I'd have no problem if Hazard wins it but I'd like to see Kante win it. Over the past two seasons, I don't think there has been a better player in world football than Kante in that position. Unfortunately, players of his ilk are generally overlooked when it comes to awards in favour of the more flamboyant, attacking players.

ETA. The true value of players like Kante is only noticed in their absence.

N'Golo Kante is statistically the third best defensive midfielder in the league this season (fourth if you count Ndidi, but he's obviously got a much smaller timescale to pick from). Shouldn't be anywhere near the award. :P

Nah, I kid, he should win imo, but there is a point which I think we've passed where English press and pundits eventually do pick up on someone good at DMing and laud him to the exclusion of anyone else who does it. See also The Makelele Role.

Archived