Football - #WengerOut

Consigliere

Re: Lukaku, he has stated that he wants to leave to get CL football. Chelsea is often mentioned.

We had a small discussion in the last thread about whether he'd fit in there or not - I think that he could fit. It would probably lead to more Chelsea play through the wingers, and try to get Lukaku in behind/get some okay crosses in. They do already function excellently on the break, and Lukaku can be great at that.

I don't think he'd work that well as a hold-up player, and so I think City and Arsenal (if they were interested, and reach the CL) fit. United also looks a difficult proposition, as he is massively different to Zlatan, and United doesn't seem to be a team playing much on the break - and, of course, he doesn't have the best experience with Mourinho.

Tottenham? Won't spend that amount of money, and can't accomodate him. City, also, are probably relatively happy with their striking options.

Seems to me that it's Chelsea or nothing in England. 

17 hours ago, Consigliere said:

No. The PFA awards only consider performances in domestic English football.

In theory. How many players have won it partly because of international or Champion's League successes?

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

Atleti would need to sell first. If Griezmann leaves then I could see Atleti going for Lukaku, otherwise, he is out of their price range.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that at least one big player will leave Atleti in the summer, even though they're not as big a selling club as they were before Simeone started winning stuff. Most probably Griezmann.

7 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Re: Lukaku, he has stated that he wants to leave to get CL football. Chelsea is often mentioned.

We had a small discussion in the last thread about whether he'd fit in there or not - I think that he could fit. It would probably lead to more Chelsea play through the wingers, and try to get Lukaku in behind/get some okay crosses in. They do already function excellently on the break, and Lukaku can be great at that.

I don't think he'd work that well as a hold-up player, and so I think City and Arsenal (if they were interested, and reach the CL) fit. United also looks a difficult proposition, as he is massively different to Zlatan, and United doesn't seem to be a team playing much on the break - and, of course, he doesn't have the best experience with Mourinho.

Tottenham? Won't spend that amount of money, and can't accomodate him. City, also, are probably relatively happy with their striking options.

Seems to me that it's Chelsea or nothing in England. 

You're forgetting Liverpool. :P :lol: 

EDIT:

19 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

On a different note, it seems the S*n has had an article about Ross Barkley (link to BBC about the story). 

Not going to claim anything about it, other than it seems to me that some of the claims made were written after the journalist looked in a mirror. 

Even I know that the S*n is a garbage and they seem to enjoy such reputation. There's no other explanation why they keep acting the way they do.

P.S. That doesn't change the fact Barkley is an asshole who deserves to get a preemptive booking the moment he steps on the pitch, though.

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

You're forgetting Liverpool. :P :lol: 

If we start selling our players to Liverpool, something has changed. After all, you wouldn't even sell us Traore way back when.

(Which I am terribly grateful for, btw).

Barkley's fine. As a footballer he's not as talented as some people wish he was but he's OK. As a person I have no idea what he's like. And neither does Kelvin MacKenzie. He's clearly working out some issues. It's the editor who approved that article who has questions to answer. Copping out with the 'not necessarily our views' stuff doesn't cover this.

The BBC report linked above included a quote from the mayor of Liverpool city (emphasis mine):  "Not only is it racist in a sense that he is of mixed-race descent, equally it's a racial stereotype of Liverpool. It is racist and prehistoric."

Quite a parochial stretch on the definition of "racial", not to mention an absurdly parochial usage of "equally".

10 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Quite a parochial stretch on the definition of "racial", not to mention an absurdly parochial usage of "equally".

True.

In fairness though it's possible MacKenzie didn't know Barkley had a non white grandparent, I had no idea, so the racism may have been accidental. There's no question he was continuing to deliberately be an offensive twat about Liverpool though.

Just now, ljkeane said:

True.

In fairness though it's possible MacKenzie didn't know Barkley had a non white grandparent, I had no idea, so the racism may have been accidental. There's no question he was continuing to deliberately be an offensive twat about Liverpool though.

I thought of that too.  I had no idea either.  Although I decided that anyone willing to use an insult with a racial history doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

MacKenzie has now been suspended, which is beyond stupid. I mean, don't get me wrong: it's thoroughly deserved. He should've been suspended for just submitting the column. But you can't suspend a columnist for a column that you then went to print with. The Sun published this piece. Unless something seriously weird is going on, at least one editor approved it. It's too late now to be saying 'we find this unacceptable'. It's transparently a case of 'this was fine until we got bad press'.

Archived