Football - #WengerOut

Consigliere

I think there's a huge conspiracy going on.

People are curious what would it look like, if Piers suffers a stroke on twitter. So all the players and executives of the top clubs colluded, that Tottenham will win the league, and Arsenal announces an five year extension for Wenger on the same day. Oh, and the mastermind behind that cunning plan is obviously Gary Lineker, because why not?

In other news, pleasent Easter Football sunday stadium visit. 1-0 win by a late strike (87th minute). While none of our rivals in the relegationbattle has managed to win their games. As a bonus, Max Kruse is really back to his pre-Wolfsburg self and thus Bremen has defeated the team from Mordor, keeping them in the midst of relegation battle.

As for the Island football I see Firmino has scored. Does anybody know how @Soylent Brown is coping?

Good thing I'm not a betting man. That was a great result and performance preventing Chelsea from even having a shot on target. Never thought we would win especially after seeing the starting lineup, I couldn't see where the goals would come from. At least the title race is made a little more interesting now.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Nice to pick up that win.  Yesterday was pretty high scoring, with all the other top teams picking up strong wins.  Pulis' anti-football has a very good record against us.  Based on the last five years, he looks like Utd's next manager.

I don't think you've watched West Brom this season if you think they've been playing anti-football. Except I guess if your definition is 'won't allow Liverpool free reign to attack', but even by those standards they've been pretty open this time out.

Anyway, I missed most of our game coz of Easter family stuff, but it seems like playing Rashford and Lingard together makes a difference in that the combination of their pace and their understanding gives us the cutting edge we often lack, even in games where both play but on opposite sides.

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think you've watched West Brom this season if you think they've been playing anti-football. Except I guess if your definition is 'won't allow Liverpool free reign to attack', but even by those standards they've been pretty open this time out.

Regardless of how they've been playing this season they definitely weren't pretty open today. Until they were forced to go for it in the last 10/15 minutes they spent most of the game with at least 10 players behind the ball letting Liverpool have about 75% of possession.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've no hatred for the guy, I just wish he'd play well for Liverpool more often. As it was today, he whiffed a decent chance and then managed to score a sitter. Wowser!

Come on. It wasn't a bad effort by any means for the chance he missed, it'd be nice if he'd buried it in the bottom corner but as shots on a player's wrong foot go it was fine. He also scored the winner, laid on a gilt edged chance for Milner which should have been buried and was all round Liverpool's best attacking player by a decent margin. 

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Liverpool on the whole were desperately poor and Klopp stood there like a dimwit and watched us be rubbish without making any changes until the 80th minute, making things very anxious at the end.

Rein it in a bit. I know you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder about Klopp not playing Sturridge but the vast majority of the times he has been played he just hasn't been very good. He was also anonymous when he did come on.

Liverpool weren't very exciting but they didn't really look like conceding other than the time Matip lunged in and they scored the goal they needed against the kind of defending they've struggled with. Missing probably their three best players this season in Mane, Lallana and Henderson that's not a bad effort. What changes was Klopp going to make to improve things?

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, I missed most of our game coz of Easter family stuff, but it seems like playing Rashford and Lingard together makes a difference in that the combination of their pace and their understanding gives us the cutting edge we often lack, even in games where both play but on opposite sides.

I was worried when I saw the starting lineup but credit where credit is due: Mourinho got his selection and tactics spot on. Zlatan will definitely be back in the starting XI but I think that we should stick with the two up front and have Rashford alongside him instead of stuck out wide. Herrera was fucking boss today - had Hazard in his back pocket all game. Young might have been wearing the captain's armband but Herrera was the real leader.

23 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Come on. It wasn't a bad effort by any means for the chance he missed, it'd be nice if he'd buried it in the bottom corner but as shots on a player's wrong foot go it was fine. He also scored the winner, laid on a gilt edged chance for Milner which should have been buried and was all round Liverpool's best attacking player by a decent margin. 

Rein it in a bit. I know you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder about Klopp not playing Sturridge but the vast majority of the times he has been played he just hasn't been very good. He was also anonymous when he did come on

Spot on. Thought Firmino was great today just like he was in the second half against Stoke last week. Relentless as usual and Liverpool might not have had very many chances but everything they did manage to create went through him.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I was worried when I saw the starting lineup but credit where credit is due: Mourinho got his selection and tactics spot on. Zlatan will definitely be back in the starting XI but I think that we should stick with the two up front and have Rashford alongside him instead of stuck out wide. Herrera was fucking boss today - had Hazard in his back pocket all game. Young might have been wearing the captain's armband but Herrera was the real leader.

I think Herrera's our player of the season tbh. Was unsure about him in the deeper role but he's been a bit of a revelation.

Bit of drama in the SPL, Ross County (fighting to stay up) stole a penalty with an absolutely outrageous dive, which draws them level with Celtic. Scott Brown the Celtic captain then lost the plot and got a red for a dangerous tackle. Celtic are contesting the 2 match ban, and the disciplinary hearing will be on the 28th of April, which means Brown is available for the Rangers Cup Semi Final. Ahhh Scottish football.

I was having an Easter lunch at my in-laws with the match going on in the background, so my impressions might be off, but from what I've seen it was as boring a match as they come. After 35 minutes, teams had one shot on goal each and those were far from dangerous.

Liverpool does need a more efficient striker, there's no denying that. Firmino, Mane and Coutinho did pretty well this season, but had been injured or away on international duty for a while and with Sturridge spending more time in physio room than in training, Origi just doesn't cut it as their first (and pretty much only) substitute.

WBA are a tough opponent to beat, especially away and the fact Liverpool managed to grab all three points is something we, as fans, must be happy with. We'd all love it if it was done with more flair and a bigger margin. Reality is that the squad is thin and ending fourth in the league this season (still far from certain) would be a great result.

Since I now find my Gunners sitting 7th in the table, I've decided to give up on this PL season. Luckily I've got Atlanta United to keep me company. Unfortunately the officiating in MLS is horrendous and we've been the victim of 2 extremely dodgy red cards in the last 2 matches. Side note; how bout that David Villa goal from 53 yards out!?

21 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've no hatred for the guy, I just wish he'd play well for Liverpool more often. As it was today, he whiffed a decent chance and then managed to score a sitter. Wowser!

Well, Firmino looks a bit like your favorite scapegoat or whipping boy. Given that Liverpool has scored more goals than any other team this season, with Firmino as their main forward (not goalscorer), those complaints really look like a football fan's first world problem (which football problems itself are). And Milner's miss was a bigger howler than Firmino's.

18 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Bit of drama in the SPL, Ross County (fighting to stay up) stole a penalty with an absolutely outrageous dive, which draws them level with Celtic. Scott Brown the Celtic captain then lost the plot and got a red for a dangerous tackle. Celtic are contesting the 2 match ban, and the disciplinary hearing will be on the 28th of April, which means Brown is available for the Rangers Cup Semi Final. Ahhh Scottish football.

Yes, that dive was outrageous. If the Bhoys had not won the league already it'd be really annoying. So it's of little consequences. And really, Brown got off with a two match ban? He should thank his lucky star for that. And yes, contesting that decission is purely for the sake of having him play against the Huns.

Newcastle need to be careful otherwise they could find themselves in the playoffs instead of automatic promotion. They have looked poor of late and if Huddersfield win their game in hand then the gap is down to 4 points with three games to play. I don't know if it's complacency or what but Rafa needs to give the players a kick up their backsides. After back-to-back wins against Brighton and Huddersfield, it looked like Newcastle would power on and win the Championship; instead it seems the team took promotion for granted and completely switch off since then.

Archived