Football - #WengerOut

Consigliere

Chelsea and Spurs have been the best teams this season by some distance. 

When I think of City adding Jesus, Sane and Nolito to Silva, Aguero, KDB and Sterling, it's scary the firepower they have this season but haven't managed the overall team well enough. 

Just as Utd fans cheered yet another draw on Thursday, they're lamenting more of the same today.  Just as City lamented not turning chances into wins, they did the same again.  And both might have lost but for dives earning penalties.  

I know full well that Liverpool could very easily miss out on top four, but all the talk since Thursday of Utd and City being able to guarantee top four by winning their five (at the time) remaining games was blatantly over-looking both of their propensity to draw.  If either of them won five straight and reached 79-80 points, they would fully deserved top four.  I suspect the reality will be a bit more uneven and unpredictable for whoever does claim those spots. 

United is clearly on its last legs and have lost what sparkle they had some weeks ago.

It's a stumble to the finish line for the team, so many injuries now, of which Zlatan hurts the most.

It's like Liverpool losing Coutinho in terms of importance to the team.

As for City, who knows why the always struggle and under perform, but is a mainstay of their organization.

When you look at them on paper you'd think they should be even better than Chelsea but season after season it doesn't happen. 

They're not ravaged by injuries either. Certainly have a better squad at the moment than United and Liverpool, so in theory City should make it.

Nah, I think Liverpool gets the win tonight. Someone has to eventually take advantage of their rivals slipping up.

Bailly has a calf injury and is a major doubt for Thursday. That is a massive blow for us. Our entire season is in danger of unraveling in the space of a week. I'm also fed up at Mourinho's constant bitching and moaning of our schedule - get the fuck over it. Liverpool had to contend with a similar pile-up last season, with injuries and a much thinner squad yet Klopp was not harping on about it constantly. Also think that it has resulted in a negative mindset with the players. It's like we are going into matches now expecting to perform poorly and have a ready-made excuse if that happens. Anyway, I hope Tuanzebe gets a run out but Mourinho's poor record with youngsters doesn't give me much hope. We'd rather spend £40m+ on a defender when we potentially have a youngster who could do a similar job.

Has Grujic got on in a Premier League game? I thought he looked alright in preseason but there doesn't ever seem to be any thought of bringing him off the bench. 

ETA: Winning the ball back in advanced areas like that is the kind of thing which might endear Sturridge to Klopp. Well that and staying fit for more than 20 minutes at a time.

ETA2: Fuuuck, that was close.

17 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

What does Origi have to do to be dropped? Karius would be a better option up front than him at the moment. 

Lovren too, continues with his weak clearances which keep putting us in danger. A bit depressing that we've just given him a new contract.

Agree with this. Origi was our worst player today and Lovren has never been reliable for us. 

Extremely fortunate to get three points from that. Still not confident at all of getting top four. West Ham and Southampton always play us well. 

Sheer filth from Can to carry the day.  We had much the better chances in the highlights I saw (may not be accurate) but we still gave up a nervy chance very late on.  Lovren's non-challenge for the initial flick-on was horrific.  This team is seriously limping to the finish line.

15 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Poor again from Liverpool. No urgency in their passing.

Origi hopeless as usual and Wijnaldum invisible.

If you think Wijnaldum was invisible, how would you rate Firmino's performance?

I honestly thought he wasn't even in the squad for at least first 20 minutes or so.

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Has Grujic got on in a Premier League game? I thought he looked alright in preseason but there doesn't ever seem to be any thought of bringing him off the bench.

Grujic got some minutes late in the game against Crystal Palace and was lucky to get away with a yellow card for a really reckless tackle on one of Palace players (I don't remember which one).

He was out injured for a month or two around and after New Year's, or he'd probably get more chance to play during the busy period in January.

The general whining of some of our local Liverpool fans looks a bit blown out of proportions.

Was it a good game? No.

Did Liverpool deserve to win that game? Yes.

A legit critcism for the Liverpool side is (at least imo) that they did not manage to play out their attacks properly (failing to get that final pass or whatever you want to call it). But overall it looked like a Top six team grinding out a win against a team from the bottom half.

As for Prödl's chance, that's the difference between top six and relegation battler. With the former those balls tend to find the back of the net more often.

Afterall, for Liverpool it was like they did what they were required to do, they squeezed out three vital points for their top four finish. Nothing more, but also nothing less.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

The general whining of some of our local Liverpool fans looks a bit blown out of proportions.

Was it a good game? No.

Did Liverpool deserve to win that game? Yes.

A legit critcism for the Liverpool side is (at least imo) that they did not manage to play out their attacks properly (failing to get that final pass or whatever you want to call it). But overall it looked like a Top six team grinding out a win against a team from the bottom half.

As for Prödl's chance, that's the difference between top six and relegation battler. With the former those balls tend to find the back of the net more often.

Afterall, for Liverpool it was like they did what they were required to do, they squeezed out three vital points for their top four finish. Nothing more, but also nothing less.

Not one of us complained about winning three points, nor did we claim that Liverpool didn't deserve the win. Hell, I'm over the Moon that they are starting to win matches like the one last night.

Still, watching them not making anything of their domination in possession (close to 70% at times) and just waiting for that one Watford shot that ends in the back of the net was agony.

Really disappointing from Atleti especially going forward. They never looked like troubling Real and just didn't turn up. Very comfortable game for Real. This tie is over. Don't think Atleti have any chance to turn this around.

Ronaldo is the man.

Archived