Football - #WengerOut

Consigliere

That's the title race done and dusted then.

As good a side as Spurs have assembled together with a top manager, they still have not won a trophy and have flopped in Europe as well. Got to get that monkey off their backs before they can be considered a major force. Wonder what effect playing their home games at Wembley will have on Spurs next season.

It will be interesting to see if Spurs can retain all their best players.  Walker is already making noises.  Several of their players could command top salaries -- Walker, Rose, Alderweirald, Ali, Kane at least -- and I wonder if Spurs can pay them all.  When a young team suddenly develops like this, there's a countdown until individual greed wins out.  

If Liverpool will pay Lovren $100k per week, how much are the two best full backs worth, in a league where everyone depends heavily on the full back role?

38 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It will be interesting to see if Spurs can retain all their best players.  Walker is already making noises.  Several of their players could command top salaries -- Walker, Rose, Alderweirald, Ali, Kane at least -- and I wonder if Spurs can pay them all.  When a young team suddenly develops like this, there's a countdown until individual greed wins out.  

If Liverpool will pay Lovren $100k per week, how much are the two best full backs worth, in a league where everyone depends heavily on the full back role?

Good point. Add on not winning any trophies and you wonder how long they will stick around. If there's no hardware after next season, surely you'll see some leave.

16 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Liverpool is one of the highest scoring teams in the league, sure. Job done, we can stop trying now. Fucking stupid. A decent striker in our team would be up there with the top scorers in the league, we'd end up scoring another 20 goals on top of what we have, and we'd do better.

Totally, what I said. And as much as I appreciate a little ranting now and then, you avoided the question which magnificient striker Liverpool missed out on. You know I sincerely doubt Suarez would have considered a return to Liverpool as a serious option this season.

And that narrow 1-0 was hardly a problem with the strikers missing out on half a dozen sitters, the problem was more creating chances to fluff. Ok, Sturridge really should have scored. Apart from that there were a few good long range efforts. So a real striker might have simply been cut off the supply. And supply is again the big problem with signing a new striker. There are atm simply not that many great strikers around, and even fewer are on the market. And then there was this minor problem that Liverpool couldn't offer CL or even EL football this season, which has limited the number of transfer targets even further. Which again leads to the question, which striker did Liverpool miss out on.

Well shit,City ahead of us on goal difference. Not only do we need to beat Southampton tomorrow but we also need to keep a clean sheet and put in a few goals.City have very easy games in their remaining fixtures.

City:

Leicester City (H) - 12th
West Brom (H) - 8th
Watford (A) - 14th

Us:

Southampton (H) - 10th
West Ham (A) - 9th
Middlesbrough (H) - 19th

I must admit I'm feeling a bit apathetic about the prospect of us getting in the Champions League next year. I don't watch much of it anymore and it's not like we've got much of a chance of doing well with our defence. Added to that with the new Premier League tv deal I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes to our ability to sign players either. Overall it just seems like something likely to have a negative impact on our league performance next season. 

Not having CL football would have an effect on the quality of players you would be able to sign since the top players want to compete at that level. It would also impact your ability to hang onto your top players. We (United) have been able to attract players because we have the resources to throw around silly money in fees and wages. Eventually though even silly money won't be enough and continued absence from the CL will affect our ability to attract and keep hold of top players.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I must admit I'm feeling a bit apathetic about the prospect of us getting in the Champions League next year. I don't watch much of it anymore and it's not like we've got much of a chance of doing well with our defence. Added to that with the new Premier League tv deal I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes to our ability to sign players either. Overall it just seems like something likely to have a negative impact on our league performance next season. 

Gotta agree here. The premier league is so flush with cash right now the champ league simply isn't the draw it used to be.

Moving it to BT sport was a huge mistake as well. I haven't watched a single match all year and have almost no awareness of what's happening. God knows what they were thinking

I feel the same about CL.  It's still the prestige competition but I don't get to watch it, there's too many games before it gets interesting, it ruins the domestic season for any but the billionaire clubs, and the money doesn't make much difference anymore.  Utd probably got more from Mickey Mouse corporate sponsors than the CL. 

But it still seems to matter to the top players at continental clubs. 

Absolutely massive win for Swansea and a crushing blow for Hull losing to Sunderland. Swansea must be favourites to stay up now given their remaining fixtures (Sunderland and West Brom) versus Hull's (Palace and Spurs).

Ah. So we were sh*t again. Makes it three of those games in a row - but, given that we're effectively fighting ourselves for seventh, I can't get too worked up over it.

Was a bit surprised that Koeman threw on Jonjoe Kenny as his last sub, if only because I felt that a right back wouldn't solve our attacking issues on his own. But hey - limited options. Everyone left on the bench, bar Robles, were juniors.

Couldn't disagree more that the Champions League is no longer the draw it once was. Maybe in England, but that is largely because of the uncompetitiveness of domestic clubs internationally and partly due to being on BT - though there are plenty of free-to-air games they are poorly advertised and little known about. The Premier League's money will draw some, but at the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Bayern you can still get the high wages with a high chance of European success.

Most years you could argue that the Champions League has boring games, but until the semi finals at least it has been fantastically entertaining this season.

6 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

English teams have sucked in the cl and their fans have tried to convince themselves that if they can't win something it is unimportant like the world cup and the euro. 

Pretty much. CL has been awesome this year for the most part and it would be a massive disappointment to me if Liverpool didn't get it next year. 

Archived