Consigliere

Football - #WengerOut

246 posts in this topic

United have had to take the EL seriously given our league position and our upcoming league fixtures makes it very difficult for us to finish in the top 4. Besides, with the EL offering a route to the CL for the winners, more English clubs should start treating the competition with the proper respect. Celta Vigo have already beaten Barca this season as well as knocked Real out of the Copa Del Rey. They are not a side to be taken lightly despite their league position plus Spanish sides have dominated the EL for a long time. If our poor form in front of goal continues, Celta will make us pay.

Having come so close twice in recent years, it would be great if Atleti can go all the way. Tough draw for Monaco. Think they would have preferred facing Real as Juve are so well organised defensively. It's going to be much tougher for Monaco to find a way through them than either City or Dortmund. Monaco will need to be on top of their game defensively to stand a chance.

22 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Something I've always wondered in the 4-5 years I've been watching English soccer... why do they announce the team of the year with a month still to go in the season? 

I agree this makes very little sense, and I also find it infuriating when they announce Man of the Match with 5 minutes to go. We've seen hat tricks scored in that amount of time (or close to it), and even if that is an unlikely scenario, giving the MotM to a player in a 0-0 draw at 85 mins is surely ludicrous if someone then pops up to net a late winner?

Watching the Europa League highlights, Besiktas' loanee Talisca looks like a star in the making. 23 years and 191 cm tall, he scored a belter with his right foot and then later a clinical header. Does anyone follow Turkish football and know whether he's the real deal or if he just had a one-off?

Sisto also looked like a tricky customer in Celta's victory over Genk.

Juve have drawn Monaco in their CL semi. That must be seen as a favourable draw. Maybe this is their year. Dybala has been scintillating at times this season, and the old guard in defense seem to be holding up.

I'm hoping Monaco win the CL but I don't think they have a serious chance of beating either Juve or Atleti, so the odds are stacked against them. They just don't defend well enough, too vulnerable on the break to a solid defensive team.

Anyway, we've found out the probable motive for the bomb attack on Dortmund's bus. It was a stock market speculator trying to drive their share prices down. Not joking.

I was about to give that update on Dortmund, and it not being a terrorist thing, but merely motivated by greed, because of some stock option scheme.

Anyway, as far as the CL and EL ties go. I kinda liked them. I was a bit afraid of another Real - Atletico final. No, offense to the Spanish clubs, but I find finals with clubs from different nations simply more interesting. My guess is Juve - Real in the final.

In the EL, I think United and Lyon will make it. But it should be interesting nonetheless.

Zlatan out for the season, and possibly for half of next season too. Rashford's hitting form at just the right time so hopefully it won't derail this season too much, though if he gets hurt or drops form again we're fucked, but we're definitely spending outrageous amounts of money on Griezmann in the summer then...

Also:

7 hours ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

Watching the Europa League highlights, Besiktas' loanee Talisca looks like a star in the making. 23 years and 191 cm tall, he scored a belter with his right foot and then later a clinical header. Does anyone follow Turkish football and know whether he's the real deal or if he just had a one-off?

I'm not familiar but rumour says we want to swap him for Juan Mata in summer, so presumably he's having a good season all round.

Got to say, that's one of the things I like about the Europa league, it's a good chance for upcomers playing in lesser known leagues to announce themselves to the world. Like I said during the game Tielemans, who's won young player of the year in Belgium twice in a row now looks a heck of a prospect, and Uros Spajic who had a fantastic game at CB is only 24 too (strongly suspect both will be the subject of offers in the summer, although Spajic only just signed a permanent deal after being on loan so he'll probably hang about at least a year. Seems like Everton are strongly linked with Tielemans).

Edited by polishgenius

11 hours ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

Watching the Europa League highlights, Besiktas' loanee Talisca looks like a star in the making. 23 years and 191 cm tall, he scored a belter with his right foot and then later a clinical header. Does anyone follow Turkish football and know whether he's the real deal or if he just had a one-off?.

Fallen off my radar since he moved to Turkey, but I remember he had a brilliant run at Benfica leading to rumours £40m moves. However during his second season his form dropped and they sold him on to Besiktas. He got his own back by scoring earlier this season when they played in the Champions League.

Zlatan and Rojo both did their ligaments and will probably be out for the rest of the year. Fucking hell.

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Zlatan and Rojo both did their ligaments and will probably be out for the rest of the year. Fucking hell.

This could be the end for Zlatan right?

A part of me, was actually wondering if that means he would be fit for the start of the MLS season. I think/thought finishing his career in the US was part of his career planing. I was (and still am) more curious whether he plays another season for United before going to NY.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Knackering your ligaments, at the age of 35, while involved in contract negotiations. Terrible, terrible timing. Has he ever even had a serious injury before?

So both West Ham and Everton have seen enough of their former first choice between the sticks, and have recalled Adrian and Stekelenburg respectively. 

Can't really argue - Robles has looked increasingly erratic of late. The penalty last match was bad.

Randolph's looked mediocre.

To be fair, that is good enough form to get him Hammer of the Year this season, though. 

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Massive blow for us. That Anderlecht game, in addition to being incredibly frustrating, has proved very costly for us. There are some rumours circulating that Zlatan has decided to retire. If true, it's an awful way to end a great career. Rojo's injury leaves us with Bailly as our only fit recognized CB. Wouldn't mind seeing Axel Tuanzebe getting a run though.

So that was a half of football. 

Even though it was Everton, I'd rather not watch something like that again. Boring doesn't begin to cover those 45 minutes. 

Let's go second half!

Bundesliga relegation battle remains interesting. Darmstadt might be as good as relegated, but they were still able to win at Mordor, today. 16th place Augsburg still just needs one point from their last 4 games to make Darmstadt's drop official. And four goals by Kruse put Werder on an EL spot atm. Mainz were able to win a point of injury plagued Bayern, who will end their campaign without Neuer.

A boring 0-0 draw. At some point, I even dropped watching in favour of listening to the commentator (who isn't very good, either) and focusing on making dinner.

That point is all but useless.

West Ham are still best set up to defend deep and counter-attack.  It's how they had most of their success last season.  Reid and Collins always play better in tight, physical games, and they were both good today. 

Everton were pretty poor going forward, though.