Trailer Thread IV

HexMachina

41 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Defo worth reading.

Will do then.  Plus, I'd rather not read it after the movie, because I don't much like Natalie Portman, so picturing the character as her would definitely be a turn-off to continue reading.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

How to Talk to Girls at Parties Trailer. This trailer looks like it's showing the entire movie.

Replicas Trailer

Yeah I do t recommend watching this trailer if you like to go in relatively blind. It seems pretty spoiler-y

How To Talk to Girls At Parties appears to be another SF short-to-film adaptation that's going to lose a lot of its point when trying to flesh out 20-odd pages into a full-on film. Doubtless it'll be nice enough, but the thing about short stories is that they're about crafting a very specific point in a very specific form. You can adapt to an anthology type TV series, but taking it and spinning a whole film out of it is going to need too much other stuff, to the detriment of the original point. We need a new Twilight Zone or something...

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

There weren't a whole lot in the first movie either.

AND WHO CARES BECAUSE IT LOOKS AWESOME

The first did way more in-camera than you probably think considering what the premise was. I mean, the monsters were entirely CG but they built big chunks of the Jaegers, including the cockpits which they put up on rigs and threw the actors around in. Plus for example when Del Toro wanted a Tokyo street to shake when a Jaeger walked down it, he recreated it in Toronto and put it on pneumatic shockers so he could shake it manually.
It doesn't look like they've done any of that here, nor taken the care GDT did to make sure the imaginary camera suffered the same restrictions and hazards (spray, ice, shaking etc) a real camera would.

It looks fun, but it's not gonna have the same feeling of heft to it I don't think. Which is kind of a shame.

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The first did way more in-camera than you probably think considering what the premise was. I mean, the monsters were entirely CG but they built big chunks of the Jaegers, including the cockpits which they put up on rigs and threw the actors around in. Plus for example when Del Toro wanted a Tokyo street to shake when a Jaeger walked down it, he recreated it in Toronto and put it on pneumatic shockers so he could shake it manually.
It doesn't look like they've done any of that here, nor taken the care GDT did to make sure the imaginary camera suffered the same restrictions and hazards (spray, ice, shaking etc) a real camera would.

It looks fun, but it's not gonna have the same feeling of heft to it I don't think. Which is kind of a shame.

Del Toro does like practical effects, and using puppets and costumes over CGI-ed stuff as much as possible.

Archived