Trailer Thread IV

HexMachina

On 10/6/2017 at 8:12 PM, GallowKnight said:

Pacific Rim Uprising Trailer

Disappointing. Like the design of the mecha but for the rest the film feels very childish.

Ridiculous soundtrack for this trailer doesn't help. I was actually hoping for a slightly more mature version of the first film with a lot less cheesy lines. This seems like it is entirely focused at kids all of a sudden, full on anime.

On 10/6/2017 at 5:18 PM, Corvinus said:

Del Toro does like practical effects, and using puppets and costumes over CGI-ed stuff as much as possible.

People really underestimate the value that good practical effects can add to a film.  It's why the Star Wars prequels looked like shit compared to the much older originals.  Everything just looked glossy and fake in the prequels.  

I know, I like some anime as well. They're rare, but some are worth watching but these tend to be quite adult in feel in storytelling.

This doesn't have that, it feels very childish unfortunately. Surprised by how much. Pacific Rim wasn't a particularly mature film by any means but halfway bearable. This, with the teen cast, soundtrack, gimmicky lines, looks a level lower still, whereas I hoped for something a bit more gritty.  I hope it won't be as bad as this makes it look, but it feels like we're in for a Transformers level film, a dreadful indictment.

I was reading during the trailers before Blade Runner 2049 and glanced up at one point, thought to myself, "another freaking Transformers movie already??  Oh wait, that's Pacific Rim....  ewww."  I think the audio track was a big part of the problem, but I definitely will not be seeing this in the theater.

MOSAIC Teaser Trailer- Steven Soderbergh HBO Miniseries

Steven Soderbergh's Murder Mystery is an Interactive App

A new TV show from HBO and Academy Award winner Steven Soderbergh promises viewers will be able to do just that — by following different characters’ points of view through an iOS app. Called Mosaic, the six-part TV series will air in January 2018. But, before then, viewers can download an app from November that will enable them to choose a character and follow their specific experiences.

Plot details are scant, but the show will star Sharon Stone, along with Garrett Hedlund, Frederick Weller, Beau Bridges, Paul Reubens, Jennifer Ferrin, Devin Ratray, Michael Cerveris, James Ransone, Jeremy Bobb and Maya Kazan.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:32 PM, Astromech said:

FUCK YES!!!

O my, I just saw this:  HOORAY!

It looks so good.  But the entire series was classy and elegant (with a bit of exception for how the writers got lost, unable how to handle the character of Vic).

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The new Black Panther trailer's pretty good. Quite like the use of Gil Scot-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televized":

I was trying to figure out how this kind of soundtrack works with a figure and kingdom that supposedly are deeply ancient hidden African worlds.  If it had been set back in 1970, yah, then it would definitely work.  Though actually long since then, it does look as though if there were an actual revolution it sure as hell would be televised.  Shoot, if it isn't streaming it doesn't exist -- that's the world we've entered.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

The new Black Panther trailer's pretty good. Quite like the use of Gil Scot-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televized":

When I heard this and saw it, all I could think about was the recent Mr. Robot monologue about how the revolution will be televised, marketed and branded.

Archived