Most Iconic Quotes

Foot_Of_The_King

Give me a list of the 5 or 10 quotes you feel are the most iconic. It doesn't have to be your favorite or what you think is the best line, just the ones that you consider iconic. A few examples. 

"Winter is Coming"

"You when or you die"

"Valar morghulis"

or deeper than that like

"Fetch me a block"

A Lannister always pays his debts.

Not my hair, Ned loved my hair. 

You know nothing.

reek reek it rhymes with .....

Justice, vengeance, Fire and Blood.

Only Cat.

The king in the north whose name is Stark.

Oh and Eddards speech when he send Beric and co after Gregor in GoT.

The night is dark and full of terrors.

Is he a ham?

The North remembers.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

Dragons plant no trees.

Woman? Is that meant to insult me? I would return the slap if I took you for a man.

His sigil ought to be a fat man sitting on his arse.

The red will run, and we'll put some wrongs aright.

Explain to me why it is more noble to kill ten thousand men in battle than a dozen at dinner.

Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey.

Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.

And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world...

And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands around your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

I am the storm.

There are no man like me there is only me - Jamie 

“I know what Aegon proved. I mean to prove a few things of my own.” - dany 

Why do the gods make kings and queens, if not to protect the ones who can’t protect themselves?- dany 

Dragon is not a Slave 

Dracarys

It is known 

You know nothing jon snow 

Winter is coming 

More fool they.   -Blackfish

His Grace has been so kind as to send his own Uncle Imp to bring us to his court."   -Oberyn

Spirits of the air.   -Hound

So the wolfling is leaving his den to play among the lions.  -Twyin

Always follow the big man into battle.   –Bronn

Stop trying to think up ways to kill me. None of it will do you a bit of good."  -Hound

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" 
"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him. "Do you understand why I did it?"
"He does," his father admitted. "As did the Targaryen kings before him. Yet our way is the older way. The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
The things I do for love.
Ned's wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.
"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light. 
"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. "Eddard!" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.
"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. So if you must hate, Arya, hate those who would truly do us harm. Septa Mordane is a good woman, and Sansa … Sansa is your sister. You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you … and I need both of you, gods help me."
He had been the thirteenth man to lead the Night's Watch, she said; a warrior who knew no fear. "And that was the fault in him," she would add, "for all men must know fear." A woman was his downfall; a woman glimpsed from atop the Wall, with skin as white as the moonand eyes like blue stars. Fearing nothing, he chased her and caught her and loved her, though her skin was cold as ice, and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well.
Just So...

I don't have the exact quote but when Stannis tells Jon what Davos told him to convince him to go north.  "I was putting the cart before the horse.  I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom when I should have been saving the kingdom to win the throne."

20 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Har! Like thinking consider the source? Or rustling of wind and leaves? :devil:

Hi there Pup :).  Yes indeed, that particular argument has once again returned to haunt us in a revisited version of the thread from which we can never extricate ourselves -- please join us there, if you're up to it!  To be honest, although I've given a lot of thought to 'winds' in a lot of admittedly 'loooooong-winded' posts, LOL; I still don't understand fully what GRRM means by 'words are wind' (especially when words also find form on 'windless nights' ;))!  But, yes, of course I was thinking of the 'rustling of the leaves'...

Wind is enormously significant in Norse mythology, from which GRRM heavily borrows, especially for his concept of the weirwood -- an analogue of the Yggdrasil world tree, whose 'kenning' -- a kind of poetic circumlocution used in Norse and Icelandic poetry as a stand-in for a noun -- is always associated with wind.  Odin hanged himself on the wind-rocked tree in order to receive the runes, i.e. language, so wind is intimately associated with the gift of words obtained at the cost of great personal sacrifice in myth:

excerpt from the Havamal with various translations:

"I ween that I hung | on the windy tree," -Translation by H. A. Bellows

"Wounded I hung on a wind-swept gallows" -Translated by Auden and Taylor

"I trow I hung on that windy Tree" -Translated by Olive Bray

"I know that I hung, on a wind swept tree" -Translated by Chrisholm

"I wot that I hung on the wind-tossed tree" -Translated by Lee Hollander

"I know that I hung on a high windy tree" -Translated by Patricia Terry

"I know that I hung, on a wind-rocked tree," -Translated by Benjamin Thorpe

4 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Hi there Pup :).  Yes indeed, that particular argument has once again returned to haunt us in a revisited version of the thread from which we can never extricate ourselves -- please join us there, if you're up to it!  To be honest, although I've given a lot of thought to 'winds' in a lot of admittedly 'loooooong-winded' posts, LOL;

Nope. Nope. No can do.

In a light easy going way no sarcasm intended, and taking into consideration Martin's age and possible life experience "words are wind" in my opinion and my perception means "talk is cheap."  I find it hilarious that you know who likes your :whip:. He didn't like my :spank:.

1 minute ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Nope. Nope. No can do.

In a light easy going way no sarcasm intended, and taking into consideration Martin's age and possible life experience "words are wind" in my opinion and my perception means "talk is cheap." 

Ironic isn't it then that he makes his living mining the winds for words, which we in turn then pore over endlessly as if each word were an infinitely faceted gemstone in Indra's Net; and moreover that he's become enormously rich off the back of his 'cheap words' alone!

1 minute ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I find it hilarious that you know who likes your :whip:. He didn't like my :spank:.

Now you're looking for trouble...;)

Archived