Most Underrated Warrior

Foot_Of_The_King

I know this subject is hardly fair since we see so little of these men/women in actual combat. We mostly know of their skills based on reputation via various characters in the books. That being said, who do you think gets over looked. We all know of the prowess of the likes of Jamie, Barristan, Robert, and crew but who are the less celebrated warriors?

Garlan Tyrell - Loras gets all the credit cause he is extroverted. Garlan played Renly and basically won the Blackwater.

the Dothraki - Just period, they are unarmored warriors that are taking out cities with armored soldiers. They are insanely overpowered. I would guess that GRRM based them on the Mongols, but Mongols used armor and the best military technology available to them at the time. Granted also the Mongols were vastly outnumbered the majority of the time, and the dothraki the opposit way, but I still think to go into battle bare chested ans win basically makes them all like borderline perfect warriors

Ramsay Bolton took out 2000 troops with only 600 of his own and only lost 25 dudes. That is pretty crazy.

Dothraki they are very underestimated for some reason. They beat everyone and destroyed several realms. They are feared by everyone and still people think they are no threat to everyone.

Unsullied are also underestimated. I have seen a lot of people claiming they are bad soldiers lol. They would destroy pretty much anything put infront of them. Westerosi levies and knight's wouldnt stand a chance against them.

1 hour ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Ramsay Bolton took out 2000 troops with only 600 of his own and only lost 25 dudes. That is pretty crazy.

Dothraki they are very underestimated for some reason. They beat everyone and destroyed several realms. They are feared by everyone and still people think they are no threat to everyone.

Unsullied are also underestimated. I have seen a lot of people claiming they are bad soldiers lol. They would destroy pretty much anything put infront of them. Westerosi levies and knight's wouldnt stand a chance against them.

In fairness, those 600 troops were armoured cavalry, while the 2000 Rodrik had was mostly bottom of the barrel levies almost entirely on foot and taken by surprise.

I don't think the Dothraki are underestimated. It's not so much that the Free Cities couldn't beat them if needed, it's that it's just easier to give them gifts to convince them not to attack. People in Westeros don't think they're a threat because they have a sea in between them, and the Dothraki are famous for avoiding sea water.

As a collective force the Unsullied are pretty formidable. However in a one on one fight a Westerosi knight would take it any day, which I think is the purpose of this thread.

Bronze Yohn is probably at a higher level than people give him credit for. Does he not best Ned Stark in the training yard? Ned's pretty handy himself so I'd imagine such actions could count for alot, then again, the training yard and the battlefield are two different mistresses.

Oberyn would have been in my top 5 of the last 30 years, due to the timing, movement and precision striking he shows during his fight with Gregor. His time at the Citadel would have gave the man far more knowledge than your standard jockish knight. If Oberyn studied for a silver link, he would be able to add vital knowledge of the human body into his fighting game. If he studied for an Iron link he would have learned much in the ways of warcraft, which could be further implimented into one on one fights, pitched battles and full scale wars.

His time served in The Second Sons would have gave The Red Viper ample time to hone his martial skills, aswell as instilling the natural grit and toughness that comes from being amongst one of the top Sellsword Companies. That Oberyn went on to form his own company, in spite of The Second Sons shows how badass the man was. We can only assume that Oberyn had a long time to perfect not only his personal fighting ability, but also his leadership skills during his time as Captain.

Also consider the training he would have recieved from a very young age at Sunspear. Clearly a master of Dornish spear fighting, it would be reasonable to assume that he was also taught much in the way of the bow, as the Dornish are some of the finest archers in all of Planetos. No doubt he was a master of the sword too, as most all Westerosi nobility seem to be taught someking of swordplay from a young age. He would have further developed his skills while fostered at Sandstone.

The Dornish are also famous for their Sand Steeds, which can run faster and longer than your standard horse. No doubt Oberyn was trained to ride one of these magestic mounts, and riding for long periods at such a high speed would have not only given the man calves like bricks, it would have made him a more confident jockey. Competency while mounted seems to be of the upmost importance in Westerosi martial culture, look at some of the fights seen during The Hedge Knight, aswell as the effectiveness of mounted combat in certain situations.

And also Greatjon Umber, when he's not had too much to drink.

9 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Garlan Tyrell - Loras gets all the credit cause he is extroverted. Garlan played Renly and basically won the Blackwater.

This. Plus, he trains by fighting three people at the same time. That's badass.

14 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Based on his physical accomplishments as a youth (scaling cliff walls at 10, being an oarsman at 13) and the reverence he is held in by a martial culture, Balon Grejoy was likely a very formidable warrior when he was active.

“Near the end of Haereg’s great work you will come to Lord Quellon Greyjoy, the wisest of the men to sit the Seastone Chair since Aegon’s Conquest. A huge man, six and a half feet tall, he was said to be as strong as an ox and as quick as a cat. In his youth he earned renown as a warrior, fighting corsairs and slavers in the Summer Sea. ”

“Though he lacked his father’s size and brute strength, Balon Greyjoy had all his quickness and skill at arms. And no man could question his courage.”

So yes Balon was by all accounts a formidable warrior.

My pick would be Garlan though

Lothor Brune and young Peck are dangerous during the Battle of the Blackwater.

Next came four of lesser birth who had distinguished themselves in the fighting: the one-eyed knight Ser Philip Foote, who had slain Lord Bryce Caron in single combat; the freerider Lothor Brune, who'd cut his way through half a hundred Fossoway men-at-arms to capture Ser Jon of the green apple and kill Ser Bryan and Ser Edwyd of the red, thereby winning himself the name Lothor Apple-Eater; Willit, a grizzled man-at-arms in the service of Ser Harys Swyft, who'd pulled his master from beneath his dying horse and defended him against a dozen attackers; and a downy-cheeked squire named Josmyn Peckledon, who had killed two knights, wounded a third, and captured two more, though he could not have been more than fourteen. (ACOK Sansa VIII)

Hotho Harlaw was across the table, sucking meat off a bone. He flicked it aside and hunched forward. "The Knight's to have Greyshield. My cousin. Did you hear?"
"No." Victarion looked across the hall, to where Ser Harras Harlaw sat drinking wine from a golden cup; a tall man, long-faced and austere. "Why would Euron give that one an island?"
Hotho held out his empty wine cup, and a pale young woman in a gown of blue velvet and gilt lace refilled it for him. "The Knight took Grimston by himself. He planted his standard beneath the castle and defied the Grimms to face him. One did, and then another, and another. He slew them all . . . well, near enough, two yielded. When the seventh man went down, Lord Grimm's septon decided the gods had spoken and surrendered the castle." Hotho laughed. "He'll be the Lord of Greyshield, and welcome to it. With him gone, I am the Reader's heir." He thumped his wine cup against his chest. "Hotho the Humpback, Lord of Harlaw."

One of the most badass things to happen off page. Harras "the Knight" Harlaw has my vote.

On 4/13/2017 at 10:19 PM, Foot_Of_The_King said:

I know this subject is hardly fair since we see so little of these men/women in actual combat. We mostly know of their skills based on reputation via various characters in the books. That being said, who do you think gets over looked. We all know of the prowess of the likes of Jamie, Barristan, Robert, and crew but who are the less celebrated warriors?

Ser Gregor. He failed at the green fork, he failed to kill Ser Beric. He almost lost to a 42 year old dornishman. 

1. Hosteen Frey - big and strong, a tough man
  2. Lord Tywin in his youth - fought bravely in the war of the nine penny kings
  3. King Aerys the second - squired and fought bravely during the war of the nine penny kings
  4. Jon Snow - got beat by Mance but Mance is really good
  5. Strong Belwas - a pit fighter who never lost is exceptional indeed

I'm not saying 2, 3, and 4 possess great skills in arms but they are better than most readers give them credit for.

Archived