Most Underrated Warrior

Foot_Of_The_King

I disagree with the Unsullied being considered underrated. They make good soldiers, and would be good against cavalry, but besides that, they're not that great. The lack of testicles which produces testosterone weakens them physically, but ofc that isn't what their valued for. Their valued for their discipline, and unity instead of strength. Anyways, the Unsullied would do terrible in fighting in close quarters against most soldiers from Westeros. They're light infantry armed with short spears, round shields, short swords, and armored with quilted tunics, which aren't very good. Any Knight could beat a unsullied one on one or maybe even 5 on 1, but like I said before, their discipline is the strength. Still though, they would do terrible in Westeros, the only way they could be improved is if they were disciplined in the same way, but kept the testicles, and were given better armor/weapons, they're losing men constantly from a bunch of ghiscari nobles with masks. So the Unsullied would be very horrible warriors, but are "underrated soldiers", just not "warriors". A warrior is usually a single fighter who relies on his own strengths, while a soldier is someone who fights in order with others. The example would be Germanic Tribesmen vs Roman Legionnaires.

In my opinion Robert Baratheons Kingsguards are some of the most underrated warriors in the story. Everybody knows that Jaime Lannister and Barristan Selmy are two of the greatest knights in Westeros history, but most people have a very bad opinion about their brothers. Of course Meryn Trant, Boros Blount, Preston Greenfield and Mandon Moore are all people with very questionable morality, but i believe they are some of the greatest knights in all the seven Kingdoms. Robert Baratheon was not a good King, but he was a brilliant warrior and i am sure he did choose the best knights that were available during the time after the war was over.

Richard Horpe is very underrated. Called "the slayer", but was passed over by Cersei, because she'd rather have loyal stooges to her, than loyal warriors to her husband. A good kingsguard would be Barristan Selmy, Richard Horpe, Rolland Storm, Balon Swann, Arys Oakheart, Mandon Moore, and Godry Farring. All capable warriors loyal to the King.

Yes i agree with you, Rickard Horpe is definitely underrated. I don't know if he would have been a better choice for the Kingsguard than Arys Oakheart though. In my opinion Arys Oakheart was a very good choice. The 7 Kingsguard you have chosen are very good as well, but i doubt Mandon Moore was a very loyal man. He tried to kill Tyrion Lannister during the battle of the Blackwater after all.

I couldn't figure out a good knight for the job other than Mandon Moore. Brynden Tully would be good if he accepted it. Jon Arryn seems to have bad luck with choosing people for positions. Mandon Moore and Petyr Baelish both being unsavory people

23 minutes ago, KarlDanski said:

Jon Arryn seems to have bad luck with choosing people for positions. Mandon Moore and Petyr Baelish both being unsavory people

I don't know that it's so much bad luck as that Jon Arryn was just a bad judge of character. He was particularly bad at suggesting political alliances -- he was, after all, the one who advised Robert to marry Cersei, and, as Hand, has to bear some of the responsibility for allowing the rampant Lannister nepotism in KL. After the Sack and the Targ-baby murders, you'd think he would have advised Robert to ally himself with pretty much any other house to keep the Lannisters from effectively taking over.

And Hugh of the Vale was his guy, too. That didn't work out well.

To get back to underrated warriors: Thoros of Myr. No one talks much about him except that he's drunk and fat and likes to set his swords on fire, but he seems to be pretty darn effective.

In my opinion Jon Arryn was a good Hand and advising Robert to marry Cersei was a smart move as well. In hindsight this was a bad idea of course, considering the fact that Cersei is a insane lunatic. But obviously Jon did not know that when he made this decision. During the time when the war was over there was no better choice for Robert than to marry Cersei. Margaery Tyrell and Arianne Martell were both to young and the Tully girls were already married.

Why didn't Robert relieve Jaime of his white cloak? He broke a sacred oath, and needed to be punished, but not too harshly for he killed the mad king. Sending him to the wall would of lost Tywin's support, but had he just released him, and gave Tywin his heir back, it would of probably of been the best idea he could of done, so why did he keep him on his kingsguard? Had he sent Jaime away, there might not of been a Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella.

Still. When you break a core tenant of the Kingsguard by killing the King, you deserve some type of punishment, I doubt anyone would of bat an eye had the King relieved him of the White Cloak, it's a perfect response. Removing a possible liability who killed the previous king. But like you said, the Kingsguard didn't go into the gutter until Cersei started meddling with it, she probably was the one who helped put the stooges like Boros, Meryn etc in the Kingsguard.

I agree with you, relieving Jaime of his White Cloak would probaply have been the smartest thing to do in this situation. I think Robert and Jon just never thought about it. Making Jaime the heir of the Westerlands again is not really a big punishment.

3 hours ago, KarlDanski said:

I couldn't figure out a good knight for the job other than Mandon Moore. Brynden Tully would be good if he accepted it. Jon Arryn seems to have bad luck with choosing people for positions. Mandon Moore and Petyr Baelish both being unsavory people

That's because Jon Arryn was very political.  Robert's reign also started off on a precarious note when you consider that half of the realm supported the previous ruler.  Robert displaced a Targaryen family that had been in power for longer than the US of A has been a country.  Jon Arryn had a lot of placating to do and a lot of favors to win over. 

By "half the realm", you mean the Reach, Dorne, Crown lands, and a couple of rebel rebel houses. Robert was supported by the North, Iron Islands, Vale, Stormlands, Westerlands, and River lands. The II and WL came in late however, but still. The rebels had more troops. Why give favors to Moore, Baelish, and Hugh? A bigger favor would of been to give Tywin his heir back, Jaime already has a "shit" honor, was kicked out of the Kingsguard, and has the moniker Kingslayer.

I love Victarion's confidence.

"He would give half his teeth for the chance to try his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers."

He seems like a bad ass. We've only seen him fight the once and the Iron Islands are often ignored by the "green landers" so we don't see much as far as reputation. I just have the feeling this guy could hold up against the best of them. 

Ser Aegor Rivers aka Bittersteel

Came close to overthrowing the monarchy 3 separate times. The first time he managed to rally his army from the point of complete destruction, drive a knife into Bloodraven's eye, and still escape with the Blackfyre heirs. He evaded death and capture time and time again. He single-handedly built the greatest sellsword company in existence, known for it's training, skill, efficiency, and integrity. He died still fighting in the field at nearly 70 years of age.

The guy was boss

Pretty sure we're seeing Rakharo develop into one very badass warrior.  He was assigned to Dany's khas, so obviously was a warrior of some young repute.  When she emerged from the flames he became one of her bloodriders, and has added four bells to his braid during the campaign to clear the slavers out of the lands surrounding Mereen.  Even Dany notices that he's grown an immense amount, is strong and lean, and her handmaidens are fighting each other to jump on his D. 

There is a new generation of young warriors emerging from these conflicts. Rakharo, Barristan's squires, Peck, Jon Snow, Ser Daemon Sand.

Griff, both in the story and IRL. IRL, many* forget the guy was a more than decent warrior (as for GRRM himself) and that's probably the reason why he was chosen Hand. In the story, I like how Mace and Randyll believe Jon is the same person he was 16 years ago. Kevan was the only one who realized he had become dangerous, but he's, you know, gone now.

*I will never forget this, HBO!!!

Archived