For Myshkin: Labyrinth Remake in the Works

Manhole Eunuchsbane

What a dumb idea. There is zero chance they can recapture the magic of that first movie. And if they by some (tiny) chance they do stumble into a good movie, it'll be because they did something completely different. In which case, why not just make an original movie?

On the plus side,

Bowie’s character will not be part of this.

That seems like a smart move. Why embarrass themselves trying to fly too close to the sun? But again, if the movie is going to be that different, why not just do something original instead?

Oh noes...this can't work, can it? I mean...can you remake whatever Labyrinth was? That was a perfect moment of the 80s hitting their zenith, of David Bowie hitting his acting zenith, Jennifer Connoly appearing as if she had always been there and would never leave us again, and a masterwork of Jim Henson putting all his skills onscreen.

You can't replicate or remake it. People don't yearn for it in that way. I have never watched it and thought: ah, if only the Bog of Eternal Stench were rendered in its full majesty through the modern miracle of computer generated images. Even if the CGI were perfect--it's not what I want. Labyrinth is something you watch and it's just fine. I don't want to see Ludo except as Ludo has been seen (every time I meet a woman named Sarah, I have to suppress the urge to say "Sarah" in a Ludo voice).

I love remakes, honestly. Like John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 was a great movie--and the remake was pretty good. I can see why you'd give it a try. King Arthur stories? Sure, keep trying until we get something better than Excalibur. The Hobbit? I sure as shit hope someone remakes that? The prequels series of Star Wars? Yes, remake that, and have someone write it who understands Greek tragedy and heroes. Troy? Remake it. The first one sucked. 

But leave Labyrinth alone. Whatever they do cannot touch the absurdity and genius of the original. It just can't. 

Edit: And isn't Fede Alvarez the guy who remade Evil Dead? He was serviceable I suppose. I think he got confused about which Evil Dead movie to remake though--he remade the first (tried to go dark, gruesome horror) when it was the second and third movies over-the-top humor that made people love Evil Dead. I don't think he gets it. In general. 

Ugh, all signs point to crappy cash grab based on existing property. Director who has come off of low budget hit which was decent but in no way ground breaking (don't breathe, Evil dead)  and a writer who co-wrote Monsters: Dark continent. 

Like the above, the original was a perfect mix of all the right elements coming together at the right time. Its Jim Henson at his bravest and it is almost unlike anything else out there ( I guess its like Dark Crystal, but for me that is bit of a failure of a movie which they used to learn from) 

Sounds like it's actually a sequel/spinoff rather than a remake, which is a much less awful idea, though I still have strong reservations. I hope they understand how much of the original Labyrinth was taken from Sarah's memories/imagination, so if they have a different human interacting with the goblins then the Labyrinth should have a very different appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand this. It's a movie set in the same universe as The Labyrinth? Why? What about it will connect it to the original in any meaningful way? Why not just make an original fantasy movie instead? 

53 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I just don't understand this. It's a movie set in the same universe as The Labyrinth? Why? What about it will connect it to the original in any meaningful way? Why not just make an original fantasy movie instead? 

Dude--how could you make a movie with goblins and dreams and saving kids without referencing Labyrinth? 

17 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Dude--how could you make a movie with goblins and dreams and saving kids without referencing Labyrinth? 

Is there going to be any kid-saving in this one?

Labyrinth lovers had better hope that this sequel/spinoff/whatever gets off the ground and soon, because you know that if it doesn't they are at some point just going to do a straight remake with Harry Styles as the Goblin King, right?

On 2017-5-1 at 8:22 PM, polishgenius said:

Labyrinth lovers had better hope that this sequel/spinoff/whatever gets off the ground and soon, because you know that if it doesn't they are at some point just going to do a straight remake with Harry Styles as the Goblin King, right?

please no 

Archived