Who would win in a fight between the Mountain and the Hound?

Illyrio Mo'Parties

I'm going to imagine this takes place somewhere between ACOK and ASOS.  The Hound and the Mountain run into each other in the Riverlands or something like that.  If the Hound keeps a level head he wins because deep down he's been ready for this battle since little Gregor stuck his face to the brazier.  He knows that he needs to tire out the Mountain and use excellent footwork.  Let Ser Gregor attempt to use his brutish strength and just bide time until Sandor can strike the fatal blow.

Now if Sandor lets his emotions get the better of him, Gregor will catch him doing something stupid. 

In short, my money is on the Clegane with a chip on his shoulder and who is seeking vengeance.

I would say The Hound. Sure, The Mountain has brute strength and he's quick, but he's also a hot head and would be prone to getting frustrated if the fight is going harder than he thought, like with Oberyn. The Hound has to just keep a level head and not get overly confident or emotional like The Red Viper did. Plus, he'd be fighting his younger brother, who has years of pent up aggression towards him, and the Mountain would probably think it's an easy win, so Gregor has an advantage there.

57 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

In short, my money is on the Clegane with a chip on his shoulder and who is seeking vengeance.

:agree:

2 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Seriously, you guys. Who?

I dunna know. Speculating. As much as Sandor hates what his brother did to him, I don’t think Sandor has it in him to be a kinslayer. BUT, push come to shove, man to man, on equal footing I would say Sandor can win.

A Game of Thrones - Eddard VII

The Mountain pivoted in wordless fury, swinging his longsword in a killing arc with all his massive strength behind it, but the Hound caught the blow and turned it, and for what seemed an eternity the two brothers stood hammering at each other as a dazed Loras Tyrell was helped to safety. Thrice Ned saw Ser Gregor aim savage blows at the hound's-head helmet, yet not once did Sandor send a cut at his brother's unprotected face.

It was the king's voice that put an end to it … the king's voice and twenty swords. Jon Arryn had told them that a commander needs a good battlefield voice, and Robert had proved the truth of that on the Trident. He used that voice now. "STOP THIS MADNESS," he boomed, "IN THE NAME OF YOUR KING!"

The Hound went to one knee. Ser Gregor's blow cut air, and at last he came to his senses. He dropped his sword and glared at Robert, surrounded by his Kingsguard and a dozen other knights and guardsmen. Wordlessly, he turned and strode off, shoving past Barristan Selmy. "Let him go," Robert said, and as quickly as that, it was over.

I actually think that the Mountain would win. I base this on that it took a very special form of combat style and much, I would at least guess, traning for Oberyn to reach the level where he could fight the Mountain like he did. But Sandor don't have the same traning as Oberyn so he'll fight Gregor in the way where Gregor's strengths will come to their fore. If Sandor fights the Mountain it will be a very emotional thing and the Hound strikes me as a very emotional person to be honest and I could see some trauma from his childhood acting as a obsticle for Sandor to hold him back.

I think the Hound would have a small window to win at the start as Gregor would probably underestimate him. Tiring him out or dancing around him like Oberyn wouldn't work because they're both fighting in heavy armour with big swords. If Cleganebowl ever happened I think the Hound would kill him and then bleed out afterwards..

2 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

Without fire the hound wins, with fire the mountain. Simple as that

I disagree. Sure, Sandor is deeply afraid of fire, and Blackwater didn't help. But remember, he fought all day in the Battle of the Blackwater, leading - LEADING! - three sorties. He also held off Beric Dondarrion in the cave, despite the flaming sword, despite being repeatedly pushed backwards into the huge central fire pit. True, Thoros defeated him "thrice" in the melee, due to his flaming sword - but that wasn't a matter of life and death, just tournament competition.

If the Mountain were so evil and foolish as to try to cow Sandor with fire, it would most likely backfire (heh, heh) on him, and just make Sandor more determined, more coldly angry. Sandor would win. We already know he's faster, has better technique, and the strength and endurance to meet Gregor blow for blow. Not to mention the motivation.

Archived