Tyrion's death

Bonkers

So, we all LOVE our imp friend.  He has to be the most wonderfully written character of our time/generation.  complex, real, grey and understandable....whilst being misunderstood.  But do you think he will live to see the new Spring?

I personally believe that all the comments about him having his tongue cut out, losing his mouth, losing his words, not having his wits....he will be tortured and then killed.  He will have his tongue cut out by someone (like Dany) whom he could have helped and then go on to do things in their honor and be killed for it in the end .... bit like our Mr Payne Kings Justice.  

What do you guys think Tyrion will do...live, die or what?  

Poisoned by his wife and queen Sansa, in wine. As he feared Cersei would do to him, as he thought Illyrio's wine was poisoned and chose not to drink it at that time, as Aegon II was poisoned, Aenys I was rumoured, the Tyrant of Tyrosh was by his wife and not far from Tyrion's own wish 

"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty,"

He won't make 88.

Tyrion will probably survive to the end and die in the last scene.

In an interview about TWOIAF, Elio and Linda mentioned that Daniel Abraham, who adapted “A Game of Thrones” into a graphic novel, knows what the final scene is going to be:

We know Martin’s first intention was to write a trilogy, so do we have to assume that a third of the clues that can lead us towards the end are in the first book?

Elio M. García Jr: When he was finishing the first book, he realized it wasn’t a trilogy, but a four-book series, so even part of A Clash of Kings was originally written for A Game of Thrones, but when he started the second book he said “Wait, this is getting even longer!”, so he stopped for a moment and visualized the whole story before deciding there will finally be six books, although now, for a very long time, he has said seven. Nonetheless, you are right. A good portion of the clues about various things that will happen in the very end are in the first book. For example, Daniel Abraham did a comic series adapting A Game of Thrones and there’s one interesting thing that George told him: “You have to keep this line because this line is important for what it happens in the end.

Linda Antonsson: The very last scene… So there’s something in the very first book that will be echoed there.

In another interview, Anne Groell, George R. R. Martin’s editor, said that Daniel Abraham knows Tyrion’s ultimate fate:

Anne Groell: I do know the endpoint of Bran’s story line—and Daniel Abraham, who has been adapting the graphic novel of AGOT for me, knows where Tyrion ends up. (I am jealous of that!)

From these two seemingly related facts, I think we can safely assume that Tyrion will be involved in the final scene somehow, probably as a POV character. There is some textual evidence to support this:

Tyrion shared around his skin of wine until even Yoren grew mellow. One by one the company drifted off to their shelters and to sleep, all but Jon Snow, who had drawn the night’s first watch. Tyrion was the last to retire, as always. As he stepped into the shelter his men had built for him, he paused and looked back at Jon Snow. The boy stood near the fire, his face still and hard, looking deep into the flames. Tyrion Lannister smiled sadly and went to bed. - AGOT Tyrion

This scene could evoke ASOIAF's final scene. Sleep could be a metaphor for death (recall Tyrion’s joke about dying in bed). So one by one all the main characters die, except for Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister. In the last chapter, Tyrion will reminisce on his life and the lives of the other characters, update us on the state of Westeros decades after the Long Night, and die at the very end as an old man.

You think to outlive me, dwarf?” The sellsword grinned. He had a dark gap in his smile where the edge of Ser Vardis Egen's shield had cracked a tooth in half.

How would you like to die, Tyrion son of Tywin?”

"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty,” he replied. - AGOT Tyrion

He might very well get his wish fulfilled - in some respects, at least.

35 minutes ago, Jo Maltese said:

Tyrion will end up on the Iron Throne, with Sansa as his loving Queen. It is known.

It is known that you are almost a cow. :D Tyrion will be left running, naked before the pack, Nymeria's pack, and the devil bitch will rip the twisted little monkey demon's arm off. 

3 hours ago, Bonkers said:

So, we all LOVE our imp friend.  He has to be the most wonderfully written character of our time/generation.  complex, real, grey and understandable....whilst being misunderstood.  But do you think he will live to see the new Spring?

I personally believe that all the comments about him having his tongue cut out, losing his mouth, losing his words, not having his wits....he will be tortured and then killed.  He will have his tongue cut out by someone (like Dany) whom he could have helped and then go on to do things in their honor and be killed for it in the end .... bit like our Mr Payne Kings Justice.  

What do you guys think Tyrion will do...live, die or what?  

I would be surprised if Tyrion doesn't make it to the end.  But we can speculate how he may die.  For this, I ask you to refer back to the prophecies from the House of the Undying Ones.   I don't know how much credibility you want to give those prophecies but let us accept them for the purpose of this talk.

It is possible that the betrayal for gold will involve Tyrion.  Tyrion may have some remaining love for his Lannister (gold) family and that love will lead him to betray Queen Daenerys.  Those betrayals will lead to the betrayers getting executed by fire.  So yes, Tyrion could betray Queen Daenerys and for his punishment Tyrion will get barbecued in the flames.  The only thing that will remain of the little man is a smoking black nugget.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It is known that you are almost a cow. :D Tyrion will be left running, naked before the pack, Nymeria's pack, and the devil bitch will rip the twisted little monkey demon's arm off. 

:P Happy Easter to You Lost!

Grayscale

My big mouth will be the death of me, I swear it.

I'll haunt the Seven Kingdoms, he thought, sinking deeper. They would not love me living, so let them dread me dead.

When he opened his mouth to curse them all, black water filled his lungs, and the dark closed in around him.

How long must I continue to torture myself? When will we be certain that I'm clean?"

"Truly?" said the Halfmaester. "Never. You swallowed half the river. You may be going grey even now, turning to stone from inside out, starting with your heart and lungs."

Maybe his mouth will start to turn to stone and he won't be able to speak, like in that nightmare he has after the Battle of Blackwater. 

And he's been compared to a gargoyle far too many times. 

Personally, I think it'd be kind of lame and unrealistic if Jon Connington got grayscale and Tyrion didn't, even if the latter swallowed the foul water and sank deeper and longer in the river.

3 hours ago, Wm Portnoy said:

I would be surprised if Tyrion doesn't make it to the end.  But we can speculate how he may die.  For this, I ask you to refer back to the prophecies from the House of the Undying Ones.   I don't know how much credibility you want to give those prophecies but let us accept them for the purpose of this talk.

It is possible that the betrayal for gold will involve Tyrion.  Tyrion may have some remaining love for his Lannister (gold) family and that love will lead him to betray Queen Daenerys.  Those betrayals will lead to the betrayers getting executed by fire.  So yes, Tyrion could betray Queen Daenerys and for his punishment Tyrion will get barbecued in the flames.  The only thing that will remain of the little man is a smoking black nugget.

It is known. 

7 hours ago, Bonkers said:

So, we all LOVE our imp friend.

NO. I don't love Tyrion.

I doubt any of the big six (Jon, Daenerys, Tyrion, Bran, Arya, Sansa) will die/permanently die before the endgame. "Everybody can die!!!" is a marketing strategy.  I mean look at the classic "All New X-Men" run from the late 70s/80s. In the second issue they killed Thudnerbird to show how in this book "Everyone can die" During Claremont's tenure, how many main characters died? One; Cypher. And whether he was a "main character" is debatable. Theoretically you could add Phoenix to the list, but she died because of executive meddling, not because of the author's choice (and came back five years later).

Once the endgame starts, however, then all bets are off. I don't quite feel capable to speculate what that endgame will even be, so I find it even less possible to tell which characters will survive to the last page.

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Grayscale

Maybe his mouth will start to turn to stone and he won't be able to speak, like in that nightmare he has after the Battle of Blackwater. 

And he's been compared to a gargoyle far too many times. 

Personally, I think it'd be kind of lame and unrealistic if Jon Connington got grayscale and Tyrion didn't, even if the latter swallowed the foul water and sank deeper and longer in the river.

But what if Tyrion is a Targaryen and he has a strong immune system like Viserys and Daenerys?  I could see him resisting the disease.  Ofcourse he is not a Targaryen until proven but I just want to bring up this point.

I'd guess that Tyrion will die in the process of destroying House Lannister as part of his vengeance for Tysha, and pretty much all of his life. In the time-honoured spirit of vengeance, his hatred will end up destroying him somehow, but as the last, ultimate humiliation for the likes of Tywin and Cersei, he'll take the Lannister name down with him. It'll also bring the Lannister story full circle, given what they did to the Casterlys, Reynes, and Tarbecks.

8 hours ago, Bonkers said:

So, we all LOVE our imp friend.  He has to be the most wonderfully written character of our time/generation.  complex, real, grey and understandable....whilst being misunderstood.

I don't like him,i actually dislike him,and i hope he dies soon,preferably getting eaten by dragons or some other beast..

He will die but not before he's 80, in bed, with a mouth around his, you-know-what.  I don't want him to die but he's just as vulnerable as anyone in the story to go down.

Honestly, Tyrion has a criminal record for killing his father.  If you can't forgive someone for breaking guest rights then I fail to see how you can forgive someone for killing their dad.  I love Tyrion but the story really threw him under the bus when he killed Tywin.  I suppose George M. could give him a way out by making him the son of Aerys, thereby the killing of Tywin would be simple murder rather then Kinslaying.

8 hours ago, Steelshanks Walton said:

But what if Tyrion is a Targaryen and he has a strong immune system like Viserys and Daenerys?  I could see him resisting the disease.  Ofcourse he is not a Targaryen until proven but I just want to bring up this point.

I think there's evidence against the theory that Targs have a strong immune system, like the Targs who died during the Great Spring Sickness. But I guess it's possible.

Archived