The Child of Rheagar and Lyanna

andy_wan_kenobi

26 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

It's either the biggest bullshit ever, or the most epic trolling ever, I can't decide. Do people seem to take this one seriously? :D

The bolded is your own assumption, though, there is no quote suggesting that she was told only later who the kind old man was. Plus, children of 3-4 can already remember "their" people.

Besides, do you realize how ridiculous it is to claim that for Dany not being Dany, you need Darry not to be Darry, either?

Well, technically, if she is not who she is, she cannot remember :P

And it can easily mean that she should go back to her family heritage instead of playing a queen of Meereen.

Gentle Ser Willem Darry, who must have loved her after a fashion, had been taken by a wasting sickness when she was very young.

She did not remember Dragonstone either. They had run again, just before the Usurper's brother set sail with his new-built fleet. By then only Dragonstone itself, the ancient seat of their House, had remained of the Seven Kingdoms that had once been theirs. It would not remain for long. The garrison had been prepared to sell them to the Usurper, but one night Ser Willem Darry and four loyal men had broken into the nursery and stolen them both, along with her wet nurse, and set sail under cover of darkness for the safety of the Braavosian coast.

She remembered Ser Willem dimly, a great grey bear of a man, half-blind, roaring and bellowing orders from his sickbed. The servants had lived in terror of him, but he had always been kind to Dany. He called her "Little Princess" and sometimes "My Lady," and his hands were soft as old leather. He never left his bed, though, and the smell of sickness clung to him day and night, a hot, moist, sickly sweet odor. That was when they lived in Braavos, in the big house with the red door. Dany had her own room there, with a lemon tree outside her window. After Ser Willemhad died, the servants had stolen what little money they had left, and soon after they had been put out of the big house. Dany had cried when the red doorclosed behind them forever. 
They had wandered since then, from Braavos to Myr, from Myr to Tyrosh, and on to Qohor and Volantis and Lys, never staying long in any one place. Her brother would not allow it. The Usurper's hired knives were close behind them, he insisted, though Dany had never seen one.

He (rheagar) walked up to Ser Willem Darry, the master-at-arms, and said, 'I will require sword and armor. It seems I must be a warrior

She fled from him, but only as far as the next open door. I know this room, she thought. She remembered those great wooden beams and the carved animal faces that adorned them. And there outside the window, a lemon tree! The sight of it made her heart ache with longing. It is the house with the red door, the house in Braavos. No sooner had she thought it than old Ser Willem came into the room, leaning heavily on his stick. "Little princess, there you are," he said in his gruff kind voice. "Come," he said, "come to me, my lady, you're home now, you're safe now." His big wrinkled hand reached for her, soft as old leather, and Dany wanted to take it and hold it and kiss it, she wanted that as much as she had ever wanted anything. Her foot edged forward, and then she thought, He's dead, he's dead, the sweet old bear, he died a long time ago. She backed away and ran.

So above I listed a number of major Darry quotes(minus the ToJ which sites him being with "your queen" and Viserys so is likely before the birth)... he never calls her by name! And it's all intermixed with the false Viserys info... in fact reading Danny's first chapter almost every paragraph has suspicious language about what she's been told.

Darry was the master at arms who taught Rhaegar... A good man and true... but is he the same as the sweet old bear with soft hands and a cane?

What happened to the 4 loyal men?

compare the hot moist sickly sweet described by Dany to the sick old man in Braavos described by Sam:

"It's me," he had to say. "Samwell Tarly. Your steward."
"Sam." Maester Aemon licked his lips, and blinked. "Yes. And this is Braavos. Forgive me, Sam. Is morning come?" 
"No." Sam felt the old man's brow. His skin was damp with sweat, cool and clammy to the touch, his every breath a soft wheeze. "It's night, maester. You've been asleep."
If nothing else the fact that he shows up in the House of the Undying should be a major flag.

9 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

I'm at work on my phone, so I am unable to track down the quote right now. But Sansa falsely remembers Sandor kissing her in her chambers, after he fled the Blackwater. And this is something that she remembers incorrectly after only a year or two, not a distant childhood memory.

@LiveFirstDieLater - the quotes follow. :)

Not even a year or two. More like a month--the first time she thinks of it, she is still in KL, hanging out with Margaery and her cousins. I don't think it's even been a year since the Battle of the Blackwater yet, has it?

"I could keep you safe," he rasped. "They're all afraid of me. No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them." He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her. He was too strong to fight. She closed her eyes, wanting it to be over, but nothing happened. "Still can't bear to look, can you?" she heard him say. He gave her arm a hard wrench, pulling her around and shoving her down onto the bed. "I'll have that song. Florian and Jonquil, you said." His dagger was out, poised at her throat. "Sing, little bird. Sing for your little life." [She sang, he left, no kiss.] (CoK, Sansa VII)

Sansa wondered what Megga would think about kissing the Hound, as she had. He'd come to her the night of the battle stinking of wine and blood. He kissed me and threatened to kill me, and made me sing him a song. (SoS, Sansa II)

She thought of Tyrion, and of the Hound and how he'd kissed her, and gave a nod. (FfC, Alayne II)

As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak. (still FfC, Alayne II)

Another example of memory fail is Arya recalling Joffrey's sword as Lion's Paw (which is 1000000x better than Lion's Tooth, anyway). ;)

Just now, Therae said:

Not even a year or two. More like a month--the first time she thinks of it, she is still in KL, hanging out with Margaery and her cousins. I don't think it's even been a year since the Battle of the Blackwater yet, has it?

Another example of memory fail is Arya recalling Joffrey's sword as Lion's Paw (which is 1000000x better than Lion's Tooth, anyway). ;)

I think the reason why Sansa has this false memory is that she's trying to have some memory of affection from someone that isn't part of her family.

17 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

I'm at work on my phone, so I am unable to track down the quote right now. But Sansa falsely remembers Sandor kissing her in her chambers, after he fled the Blackwater. And this is something that she remembers incorrectly after only a year or two, not a distant childhood memory.

I hear you, I just don't remember what you are referencing... when you get a chance I'd be interested to check it out.

Just now, Angel Eyes said:

I think the reason why Sansa has this false memory is that she's trying to have some memory of affection from someone that isn't part of her family.

There are whole threads about why (check the Sansa rereads), but the point is that it is absolutely an example of a false memory. :)

4 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Any ideas on what he could have done, then? She already had a big target just for being Targaryen, as well as the looks. If she had gone the other way and not had the archetypal Targaryen looks, things would be easier, Ned would pass her off as his bastard child, bring her up North and raise her as his own, just as he did with Jon Snow (at least in the show, will have to see about Jon's parentage in the books). 

Anyways, Ned's not too good at being covert, as shown in his investigations into Jon Arryn's death.

Anything is better than leaving her to be dragged around Essos by some child. Send someone Ned trusts to take her away from Viserys and take her someplace safer? Buy her and her protector a nice little house in Braavos where they'll be comfy and within sailing distance? Anything. 'It's difficult!' and 'I'm not good at being covert!' are not good excuses for allowing your niece to wander a continent with only a mad child-uncle for protection.

Here's a suggestion: instead of giving her to Ashara Dayne, in the far south completely out of Ned's reach, why not give her to Howland Reed? You know, Ned's BFF and war buddy who was actually there at the TOJ? The guy who nobody ever sees because he lives in a hidden castle in a swamp nobody ever goes into? Someone who could raise any number of Targaryen bastards and nobody would ever find out?

43 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

it isn't just the lemon tree, that's just an obvious repeated discrepancy...

A little correction: the lemon tree becomes a discrepancy only after we are told, some three books later, what Braavos looks like (for normal people, not for the mighty). During the same three or so books, we are also led to believe that Doran is too meek to seek revenge for Elia's death - and then, bam! we learn that he has had this plan for revenge and restoration of Targaryens all along. A subtle hint through the lemon tree, a straightforward but unspecified "fire and blood" plan in Arianne's last chapter, and then, the plan spelled out through Quentyn: a classical GRRM three-step reveal. No false identities, no multiple characters not being who they are required. Just a bit of logistics placing the lemontree in the Sealord's gardens (which are huge) where, with a little care, a lemon tree can grow just fine.

as I've already said there is a lot about the classic story we're given that makes no sense.

specify that "lot", please-

And lots of textual reasons to believe Dany has Stark Blood.

Oh? Which ones?

26 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Yes, Ned Stark is not really one to ignore succession laws just because it's practical. If he were, he might still have a head.

The problem I have with Dany being Lyanna's daughter is that it makes Ned one of the worst parental figures in the books, bested only by complete monsters like Craster and Tywin. Ned's apparent idea of keeping Dany safe is to allow her to give her to Ashara Dayne (OK, sure) and then keep absolutely no tabs on her. Then, when he finds out she's living as Aerys' daughter and might be killed by anyone looking to please Robert, what does he do? Does he send men out to bring her back and rescue her? Nope. When she's wed to a Dothraki barbarian, does he send someone to smuggle her to freedom? No. When Robert orders her dead, what does he do? He... resigns. Big whoop. If I were Lyanna's ghost, I'd be spitting on Ned for his piss-poor efforts. Really, do people actually think that this is Ned Stark?

"Promise me Ned, totally promise me, that you'll send my little girl to the son of the batshit crazy king to be brought up as his sister and never, ever, you'll pay a single thought to her. It's my deathbed wish, so don't look so fucking flabebrgasted and promise me."

I guess that might work just fine, no?

11 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Yes, Ned Stark is not really one to ignore succession laws just because it's practical. If he were, he might still have a head.

The problem I have with Dany being Lyanna's daughter is that it makes Ned one of the worst parental figures in the books, bested only by complete monsters like Craster and Tywin. Ned's apparent idea of keeping Dany safe is to allow her to give her to Ashara Dayne (OK, sure) and then keep absolutely no tabs on her. Then, when he finds out she's living as Aerys' daughter and might be killed by anyone looking to please Robert, what does he do? Does he send men out to bring her back and rescue her? Nope. When she's wed to a Dothraki barbarian, does he send someone to smuggle her to freedom? No. When Robert orders her dead, what does he do? He... resigns. Big whoop. If I were Lyanna's ghost, I'd be spitting on Ned for his piss-poor efforts. Really, do people actually think that this is Ned Stark?

Yes, this! This is the main problem with the theory. It could work if we only take Dany's memories into account and nothing else. But people believeing R+L=D forget to take into account the character's motivations and the logic in their actions. 

Like you brought up, most of it comes to Ned's motivations and the logic of his actions. Taking that into account, R+L=D does not make senseWhy in the world would Ned send away Lyanna's child to people he barely knew?  Why would Darry pose her as another Targaryan? That is stupid and completely illogical. It makes no sense. 

54 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

I have no idea what you are talking about... quote?

Butting into your and Darkstream’s dialogue about the unkiss:

A Clash of Kings - Sansa VII     "I could keep you safe," he rasped. "They're all afraid of me. No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them." He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her. He was too strong to fight. She closed her eyes, wanting it to be over, but nothing happened.

Nothing happened. Sansa sang him a song. Not actually a song. More of a prayer.

A Storm of Swords - Sansa II     Sansa wondered what Megga would think about kissing the Hound, as she had. He'd come to her the night of the battle stinking of wine and blood. He kissed me and threatened to kill me, and made me sing him a song.

Her memory of the ^ was skewed. The Hound didn’t kiss her.

21 minutes ago, Therae said:

The name of the sword is funny... and yes I'm in the camp of unreliable narrators, but logically so. Getting a name wrong makes sense, remembering plants, colors, temperatures, and smells wrong is a little different.

I always assumed that after the ripping cloth and bloody white kingsguard cloak being left behind it was a different sort of kiss, if you get the meaning. 

I always thought Sansa is being euphemistic... and Sandor took more than a kiss. (Likely this will be an issue later on if she is no maid, maybe even being seen as a consummation of her marriage to Tyrion)

But clearly no real evidence and honestly haven't put that much thought into it and it seems like others have so, dunno, iteresting example though...

17 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Any ideas on what he could have done, then? She already had a big target just for being Targaryen, as well as the looks. If she had gone the other way and not had the archetypal Targaryen looks, things would be easier, Ned would pass her off as his bastard child, bring her up North and raise her as his own, just as he did with Jon Snow (at least in the show, will have to see about Jon's parentage in the books). 

Anyways, Ned's not too good at being covert, as shown in his investigations into Jon Arryn's death.

And what exactly would prevent Ned from packing her off to the Flints, or as HR to bring her up at Greywater? It's not like he didn't have the means to hide one child up in the North.

15 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Gentle Ser Willem Darry, who must have loved her after a fashion, had been taken by a wasting sickness when she was very young.

She did not remember Dragonstone either. They had run again, just before the Usurper's brother set sail with his new-built fleet. By then only Dragonstone itself, the ancient seat of their House, had remained of the Seven Kingdoms that had once been theirs. It would not remain for long. The garrison had been prepared to sell them to the Usurper, but one night Ser Willem Darry and four loyal men had broken into the nursery and stolen them both, along with her wet nurse, and set sail under cover of darkness for the safety of the Braavosian coast.

She remembered Ser Willem dimly, a great grey bear of a man, half-blind, roaring and bellowing orders from his sickbed. The servants had lived in terror of him, but he had always been kind to Dany. He called her "Little Princess" and sometimes "My Lady," and his hands were soft as old leather. He never left his bed, though, and the smell of sickness clung to him day and night, a hot, moist, sickly sweet odor. That was when they lived in Braavos, in the big house with the red door. Dany had her own room there, with a lemon tree outside her window. After Ser Willemhad died, the servants had stolen what little money they had left, and soon after they had been put out of the big house. Dany had cried when the red doorclosed behind them forever. 
They had wandered since then, from Braavos to Myr, from Myr to Tyrosh, and on to Qohor and Volantis and Lys, never staying long in any one place. Her brother would not allow it. The Usurper's hired knives were close behind them, he insisted, though Dany had never seen one.

He (rheagar) walked up to Ser Willem Darry, the master-at-arms, and said, 'I will require sword and armor. It seems I must be a warrior

She fled from him, but only as far as the next open door. I know this room, she thought. She remembered those great wooden beams and the carved animal faces that adorned them. And there outside the window, a lemon tree! The sight of it made her heart ache with longing. It is the house with the red door, the house in Braavos. No sooner had she thought it than old Ser Willem came into the room, leaning heavily on his stick. "Little princess, there you are," he said in his gruff kind voice. "Come," he said, "come to me, my lady, you're home now, you're safe now." His big wrinkled hand reached for her, soft as old leather, and Dany wanted to take it and hold it and kiss it, she wanted that as much as she had ever wanted anything. Her foot edged forward, and then she thought, He's dead, he's dead, the sweet old bear, he died a long time ago. She backed away and ran.

So above I listed a number of major Darry quotes(minus the ToJ which sites him being with "your queen" and Viserys so is likely before the birth)... he never calls her by name! And it's all intermixed with the false Viserys info... in fact reading Danny's first chapter almost every paragraph has suspicious language about what she's been told.

I have no idea what you think it is you are supposedly proving here. We all know that a lot of info from Viserys is incorrect. It doesn't mean that everything he ever said was incorrect and that Dany's own memories are all incorrect, as well. 

Also, I don't see what's peculiar about her family's vassal calling her by her title. 

Darry was the master at arms who taught Rhaegar... A good man and true... but is he the same as the sweet old bear with soft hands and a cane?

You do realize that the Rhaegar scene is years before Dany's? That people get sick and their skin becomes soft when they don't practice with sword? Ask any guitar player what happens to the tough skin on their fingers if they stop practicing.

What happened to the 4 loyal men?

What does it have to do with Dany's identity? She never claimed seeing them.

compare the hot moist sickly sweet described by Dany to the sick old man in Braavos described by Sam:

"It's me," he had to say. "Samwell Tarly. Your steward."
"Sam." Maester Aemon licked his lips, and blinked. "Yes. And this is Braavos. Forgive me, Sam. Is morning come?" 
"No." Sam felt the old man's brow. His skin was damp with sweat, cool and clammy to the touch, his every breath a soft wheeze. "It's night, maester. You've been asleep."
If nothing else the fact that he shows up in the House of the Undying should be a major flag.

Aemon and Darry suffered from different diseases, so why should they develop the same symptoms? Just because they both died in Braavos?

And why should Darry's appearance in HotU be a flag? Is Aerys'? Is Rhaegar's? 

The name of the sword is funny... and yes I'm in the camp of unreliable narrators, but logically so. Getting a name wrong makes sense, remembering plants, colors, temperatures, and smells wrong is a little different.

I don't know about that. The memory is, after all, from some point in her early childhood. Certain details may stand out, but associating them correctly is another story; the images she attributes to her time in Braavos may have been from another time Pentos (Dorne isn't the only place with lemon trees), for example. I think it is @SFDanny (apologies to the correct person, if not) who was able to demonstrate quite clearly that there was some jiggery-pokery of location and geography as the original story evolved. Also there is, as has been noted several times, the distinct possibility that the Sealord could recreate a bit of Dorne in his backyard if he wanted to. :)

Edit: oops! My bad--it was @Lost Melnibonean! Here is the thread:

Evidence that the lemon tree was not originally in Braavos

24 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Anything is better than leaving her to be dragged around Essos by some child. Send someone Ned trusts to take her away from Viserys and take her someplace safer? Buy her and her protector a nice little house in Braavos where they'll be comfy and within sailing distance? Anything. 'It's difficult!' and 'I'm not good at being covert!' are not good excuses for allowing your niece to wander a continent with only a mad child-uncle for protection.

Here's a suggestion: instead of giving her to Ashara Dayne, in the far south completely out of Ned's reach, why not give her to Howland Reed? You know, Ned's BFF and war buddy who was actually there at the TOJ? The guy who nobody ever sees because he lives in a hidden castle in a swamp nobody ever goes into? Someone who could raise any number of Targaryen bastards and nobody would ever find out?

As I said, she has the typical Targaryen looks, so this makes her a tad conspicuous, don't you think?

I don't believe this theory myself.

21 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

And what exactly would prevent Ned from packing her off to the Flints, or as HR to bring her up at Greywater? It's not like he didn't have the means to hide one child up in the North.

I have no idea what you think it is you are supposedly proving here. We all know that a lot of info from Viserys is incorrect. It doesn't mean that everything he ever said was incorrect and that Dany's own memories are all incorrect, as well. 

Also, I don't see what's peculiar about her family's vassal calling her by her title. 

You do realize that the Rhaegar scene is years before Dany's? That people get sick and their skin becomes soft when they don't practice with sword? Ask any guitar player what happens to the tough skin on their fingers if they stop practicing.

What does it have to do with Dany's identity? She never claimed seeing them.

Aemon and Darry suffered from different diseases, so why should they develop the same symptoms? Just because they both died in Braavos?

And why should Darry's appearance in HotU be a flag? Is Aerys'? Is Rhaegar's? 

Aemon and Darry sickly comparison first, just pointing out one is cold and damp the whole time needing firewood (which is scarce on Braavos because they don't have trees for lumber!) and the hot sticky description of Darry.

So now I realized I opened a whole can of worms with the HotU bit... I'll come back to give it a better answer when I have a min. But yes, there are big red flags with all of the things she sees. (Since you mention Rhaegar and Aerys isn't it interesting she only recognizes one of them? Even though she has clearly never met either one)

while we don't get physical descriptions of any of the Darry's and it's possible for a calloused hand to grow soft over time we tend to see swordsmen with rough hands... and a quick asearchoficeandfire.com for "soft hand" resulted in 19 hits including Varys, Tyrion, Cersei, the blue bard, and maesters...

16 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

As I said, she has the typical Targaryen looks, so this makes her a tad conspicuous, don't you think?

I don't believe this theory myself.

Bran Stark has never met Howland Reed. Even though he's one of Ned's oldest friends, Bran has never met him nor his children. When Robb wants to get a message to him, he has to send men in boats to blindly search the Neck. Why? Because nobody knows how to find Howland. Nobody goes into the Neck. Nobody goes to Greywatch. You could raise 10 Targaryen kids there, all of them being the spitting image of Rhaegar and nobody would know. Because. Nobody. Ever. Goes. There.

And Targ looks are not conspicuous in Essos. Half the whores of Lys have that look. Travelling with the son of the Mad King? That's conspicuous.

53 minutes ago, GhostNymeria said:

Yes, this! This is the main problem with the theory. It could work if we only take Dany's memories into account and nothing else. But people believeing R+L=D forget to take into account the character's motivations and the logic in their actions. 

Like you brought up, most of it comes to Ned's motivations and the logic of his actions. Taking that into account, R+L=D does not make senseWhy in the world would Ned send away Lyanna's child to people he barely knew?  Why would Darry pose her as another Targaryan? That is stupid and completely illogical. It makes no sense. 

Ned can't keep her because of the hair/eye color... even Ashara didn't have the hair. Robert had sworn to kill all the dragonspawn... same logic as to why he lies about Jon.

I don't think he trusted Dany to people he didn't know, and I don't think Darry posed her as anything. I don't think the old grey bear she remembers is Darry. And I think the real Darry and his loyal men probably met their end along with the old Sealord. Since then, Illyrio has been tracking Viserys and Dany around essos afraid of made up knives and begging (even though Illyrio is wealthy)... why not treat them like Young Griff and pamper the shit out of them?

There are a lot of moving pieces... I get it. But the tale we've been told is full of holes.

But as to Ned, exile is actually what he advises to someone running from Robert:

"For a start," said Ned, "I do not kill children. You would do well to listen, my lady. I shall say this only once. When the king returns from his hunt, I intend to lay the truth before him. You must be gone by then. You and your children, all three, and not to Casterly Rock. If I were you, I should take ship for the Free Cities, or even farther, to the Summer Isles or the Port of Ibben. As far as the winds blow."
"Exile," she said. "A bitter cup to drink from." 
"A sweeter cup than your father served Rhaegar's children," Ned said, "and kinder than you deserve. Your father and your brothers would do well to go with you. Lord Tywin's gold will buy you comfort and hire swords to keep you safe. You shall need them. I promise you, no matter where you flee, Robert's wrath will follow you, to the back of beyond if need be."

A cup of ice?

2 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Ned can't keep her because of the hair/eye color... even Ashara didn't have the hair. Robert had sworn to kill all the dragonspawn... same logic as to why he lies about Jon.

And he can't have Howland Reed take her and keep her in the Neck... why again?

3 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

And he can't have Howland Reed take her and keep her in the Neck... why again?

Sounds like a nice option to me, just not what Ned himself says one should do to escape Robert... see above

Thanks for providing the quote @Therae

And yes, my faulty memory had placed this later on than it actually was. I'm sure I would have been going nuts trying to find it in the later books tonight, so I appreciate you saving me that frustration.

Not only that, with my memory failing me, my wife may have started to doubt my true identity...So dodged a bullet there too. :P

Archived