How old is Arya at the end of her last chapter?

a black swan

I assumed 11 because that's what Jon says in one of his ADWD chapters.

But....

There is debate about Arya's timeline. The breakdown of the moon turns in Braavos and all of Arya's visits to the HoBW give a good indication.

In the discussion below they breakdown the timeline:

This comment clarified it:

Jon's last chapter, if I remember correctly, occurred sometime in the fall of the year 300, whereas the last time we saw Arya, I think it's the spring of the year 301.

Placing Arya's last ADWD chapter around **April 301**. Arya's nameday is near the beginning of the year? So by the end of ADWD she could already be 12. By Winds, we find her at the end of her mummers training putting her even further along. She'll be 13 soon.

I never realized she was that far along. But George did say he fast-tracked Arya's timeline in previous books. He would do something similar in Winds as well for other characters. 

There can be a good indication with the visit of Harys Swyft at Braavos : the decision to send Harys Swyft is taken in epilogue from ADWD (PoV Kevan Lannister), and he is at Braavos effectively in preview chapter "Mercy" (TWOW). Sail across the detroit doesn't need years nor months, it must be around 2 weeks from KL, perhaps more with the tempests, but not much more than one month. We just ignore how many time Harys Swyft stays at Braavos, and it can be significant. 

By the way, she keeps 2 years less than Sansa

I think there are a few too many links with the main storyline for Arya to be that far ahead. As well as Harys there is Sam and the Lyseni slavers coming from Hardhome. Her nameday does seem to be near the turn of the year, but this suggests it is only mid 300 by the end of ADWD. Mercy must be near the end of the year then.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya is still 11 years old.  She was 10 when she left for Braavos.  When she is comparing notes with the Waif, she is close enough to her 11th birthday that she is unsure if she is 10 or 11.  We can also synchronize things with Sam's arrival in Braavos, and

Harys Swyft's arrival

in the preview chapter.  There is also a mention of snow in the Riverlands, which can be connected to Jaime.   Well under a year has passed since the Red Wedding and Joffrey's death.  Joff's death occurred on the first day of 300.  The RW was less than a month earlier. Given that less than a year has passed, it is still the year 300, so Arya is still 11.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

Arya is still 11 years old.  She was 10 when she left for Braavos.  When she is comparing notes with the Waif, she is close enough to her 11th birthday that she is unsure if she is 10 or 11.  We can also synchronize things with Sam's arrival in Braavos, and

Reveal hidden contents

Harys Swyft's arrival

in the preview chapter.  There is also a mention of snow in the Riverlands, which can be connected to Jaime.   Well under a year has passed since the Red Wedding and Joffrey's death.  Joff's death occurred on the first day of 300.  The RW was less than a month earlier. Given that less than a year has passed, it is still the year 300, so Arya is still 11.

The Cat of the Canals chapter alone needs to take nearly a year as a minium and and probably longer.  The list of monthly returns to the temple is extensive and implied to be incomplete.  Between CotC and the sample chapter she progresses from speaking heavily accented Bravosi to speaking it unaccented and passing as someone who only speaks Bravosi.  She also no longer able to pass herself off as a boy which suggests the onset of puberty.  Taken just as the text in the chapters themselves she's probably about 13.  Arya's chapters simply don't line up time waise with events elsewhere but they are are among the most detailed wrt to time.  If you are really insistent on making them line up, IMO it's much easier to pad other chapters than cut back hers.

12 minutes ago, lomiller said:

The Cat of the Canals chapter alone needs to take nearly a year as a minium and and probably longer.  The list of monthly returns to the temple is extensive and implied to be incomplete.  Between CotC and the sample chapter she progresses from speaking heavily accented Bravosi to speaking it unaccented and passing as someone who only speaks Bravosi.  She also no longer able to pass herself off as a boy which suggests the onset of puberty.  Taken just as the text in the chapters themselves she's probably about 13.  Arya's chapters simply don't line up time waise with events elsewhere but they are are among the most detailed wrt to time.  If you are really insistent on making them line up, IMO it's much easier to pad other chapters than cut back hers.

Even if you assume that Cat of the Canals lasts a year ( I doubt it was that long; I'd say 9 mos. at most), that still puts it at early to mid 301, in which case she would be turning 12.  As to puberty, in the preview chapter, she doesn't have breasts yet.

Archived