Putin

7 kingdoms as countries

24 posts in this topic

If 7 kingdoms were countries which country from real world would they represent ?

North - Russia . As Russia north is huge and cold place. Stannis said how man from north are hard to control same is with Russia who is not part of Nato and hard to control .Most of the Europe are Catholics while Russian are Orthodoxs just like how Northmans believe in old gods while rest kingdoms in seven.

Westerlands -  USA.Both of them are located at the west. They are the richest country just like Lannisters are.

Reach - China . Most populous and second richest country

Don´t know about rest any ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The north is mostly Scotland with a tad bit of scandinavia. while most of europe and england is catholic, Scotland kept their pagan religion for some time, well into the 15th century.  
The westerlands is Wales/Isle of Man. Mining and a coastal economy. Wealthy in metals but not a large area. 
The riverlands is england/germany. Flat and fertile yet rainy and riverine.
The Reach is France. Temperate, fertile  and wealthy
The Stormlands I am not sure but it looks like a combination of Ireland and denmark 
Dorne is Spain/portugal/Sicily/ with a bit of the levant and north africa 
The Iron islands is scandinavia and the shetland/faroes with a conquering culture like the viking stereotype 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Putin said:

If 7 kingdoms were countries which country from real world would they represent ?

North - Russia . As Russia north is huge and cold place. Stannis said how man from north are hard to control same is with Russia who is not part of Nato and hard to control .Most of the Europe are Catholics while Russian are Orthodoxs just like how Northmans believe in old gods while rest kingdoms in seven.

Westerlands -  USA.Both of them are located at the west. They are the richest country just like Lannisters are.

Reach - China . Most populous and second richest country

Don´t know about rest any ideas.

Sorry, sometimes my sense of humor overrides my better judgment.

Every time I see your avatar and read the word Putin I think of fart jokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The north is mostly Scotland with a tad bit of scandinavia. while most of europe and england is catholic, Scotland kept their pagan religion for some time, well into the 15th century.  
The westerlands is Wales/Isle of Man. Mining and a coastal economy. Wealthy in metals but not a large area. 
The riverlands is england/germany. Flat and fertile yet rainy and riverine.
The Reach is France. Temperate, fertile  and wealthy
The Stormlands I am not sure but it looks like a combination of Ireland and denmark 
Dorne is Spain/portugal/Sicily/ with a bit of the levant and north africa 
The Iron islands is scandinavia and the shetland/faroes with a conquering culture like the viking stereotype 

This interpretation fits perfectly with GRRM's eurocentric style for Westeros.  Once we move to Essos and Sothoros things start to get weird.  It seems obvious to me that Sothoros is supposed to be Africa (especially because of the diseases that kill the westerosi and essosi that try to explore the area, not to mention the "lost cities").  The Free Cities are sort of a mixed bag.  I've seen it bandied about that Braavos is supposed to be Venice, but aside from the Iron Bank and the canals I don't see much of a correlation.  Certainly Venice did not have an entire district full of temples to a multitude of gods.  The Dothraki seem more like Scythians rather than Mongols.  Now my curiosity is piqued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Putin said:

If 7 kingdoms were countries which country from real world would they represent ?

North - Russia . As Russia north is huge and cold place. Stannis said how man from north are hard to control same is with Russia who is not part of Nato and hard to control .Most of the Europe are Catholics while Russian are Orthodoxs just like how Northmans believe in old gods while rest kingdoms in seven.

Westerlands -  USA.Both of them are located at the west. They are the richest country just like Lannisters are.

Reach - China . Most populous and second richest country

Don´t know about rest any ideas.

I don't remember the Starks meddling with the process of succession of the lord of Casterly Rock. 

#TooSoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The north is mostly Scotland with a tad bit of scandinavia. while most of europe and england is catholic, Scotland kept their pagan religion for some time, well into the 15th century.  
The westerlands is Wales/Isle of Man. Mining and a coastal economy. Wealthy in metals but not a large area. 
The riverlands is england/germany. Flat and fertile yet rainy and riverine.
The Reach is France. Temperate, fertile  and wealthy
The Stormlands I am not sure but it looks like a combination of Ireland and denmark 
Dorne is Spain/portugal/Sicily/ with a bit of the levant and north africa 
The Iron islands is scandinavia and the shetland/faroes with a conquering culture like the viking stereotype 

More eloquently put than I could have accomplished.

Also probably relevant to note that the narrow sea is fairly similar to the English Channel, allowing easy enough access between otherwise separate lands considering the medieval technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snowmelter said:

This interpretation fits perfectly with GRRM's eurocentric style for Westeros.  Once we move to Essos and Sothoros things start to get weird.  It seems obvious to me that Sothoros is supposed to be Africa (especially because of the diseases that kill the westerosi and essosi that try to explore the area, not to mention the "lost cities").  The Free Cities are sort of a mixed bag.  I've seen it bandied about that Braavos is supposed to be Venice, but aside from the Iron Bank and the canals I don't see much of a correlation.  Certainly Venice did not have an entire district full of temples to a multitude of gods.  The Dothraki seem more like Scythians rather than Mongols.  Now my curiosity is piqued.

Sothoros is africa/south america/ Australasia, That would fit the disease/lost cities trope. The Free cities are mostly mediterranean city states. Braavos is a mix of Venice/Amsterdam/Rhodes. with the arsenal, canals, big banks and the giant statue guarding the harbor. The many temples is like the vast number of small churches in Amsterdam. The Dothraki are a combo of the Huns, Scythians, mongols, along with some american plains natives like the Sioux, Lakota, Pawnee and Cheyenne.

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I don't remember the Starks meddling with the process of succession of the lord of Casterly Rock. 
#TooSoon

 #NEVER

 

17 minutes ago, Traverys said:

More eloquently put than I could have accomplished.

Also probably relevant to note that the narrow sea is fairly similar to the English Channel, allowing easy enough access between otherwise separate lands considering the medieval technology.

That and the Baltic and the Mediterranean 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The north is mostly Scotland with a tad bit of scandinavia. while most of europe and england is catholic, Scotland kept their pagan religion for some time, well into the 15th century.  
The westerlands is Wales/Isle of Man. Mining and a coastal economy. Wealthy in metals but not a large area. 
The riverlands is england/germany. Flat and fertile yet rainy and riverine.
The Reach is France. Temperate, fertile  and wealthy
The Stormlands I am not sure but it looks like a combination of Ireland and denmark 
Dorne is Spain/portugal/Sicily/ with a bit of the levant and north africa 
The Iron islands is scandinavia and the shetland/faroes with a conquering culture like the viking stereotype 

Part inference (my knowledge of the history of Scotland is lacking). But, I imagine another parallel to the North could be drawn in the small number of knights in comparison to the south/England. Just another supporting observation for a good comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I don't remember the Starks meddling with the process of succession of the lord of Casterly Rock. 

#TooSoon

Don't push that garbage. Hillary lost because she is a neoliberal who pays fan service to donors not citizens. Just as the former Clinton had and both daddy and baby Bush, and Reagan. Sorry for not staying on topic but I believe some one early up nailed it.

Edited by The Great and Mighty Poo
Let me be clear I hate trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Don't push that garbage. Hillary lost because she is a neoliberal who pays fan service to donors not citizens. Just as the former Clinton had and both daddy and baby Bush, and Reagan. Sorry for not staying on topic but I believe some one early up nailed it.

How's the pay at the Kremlin? 

Kidding/not kidding. But seriously, Russia's meddling and Hillary's incompetence aren't mutually exclusive. They're just two of many, many factors that led up to the End of Days election, and ignoring one for the other won't help us Dems one bit come 2018. 

To sorta stay in topic, I realized that the Westerlands (the Lannisters in particular) really are the US in terms of foreign policy: They pretty much destabilized other regions to put evil assholes in power. Case in point: the Boltons up North, the Freys in the Riverlands and Littlefinger in the Vale. Makes the Middle East look almost orderly in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cersei's gonna make Casterly Rock great again. One wildfire pot at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

Cersei's gonna make Casterly Rock great again. One wildfire pot at a time. 

The similarities are so eerie. Down to that fucking bomb last week.

I actually think the Kingsmoot was an almost accurate prediction of the election. Hear me out: 

- Gylbert Farwynd was Ted Cruz because he wanted to bring everyone to the Promised Land. Both are batshit crazy too.

- Erik Anvilbreaker was Jeb Bush because he couldn't even get off his ass. Very low energy!

- Dunstan Drumm was Martin O'Malley. He legit announced his candidacy by saying the presidency is not a crown to be passed around a couple of families, but then he bored everyone to death.

- Hillary was Victarion because her single message was "If you want things to stay the way they are vote for me."

- Asha was Bernie because she truly had progressive ideas that didn’t involve stealing other people's shit. 

- And then Trump is obviously Euron because he literally won the Kingsmoot by pledging to go back to the good ol' days of pillaging and stealing and Making the Iron Islands Great Again. 

Ben Carson was a random Codd or something who slept in and missed the Kingsmoot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I don't remember the Starks meddling with the process of succession of the lord of Casterly Rock. 

#TooSoon

On the other hand the Lannisters have meddled a lot on the succession of all other kingdoms, sometimes even on tiny spots far away in Essos or Sothoryos that nobody cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North: Scandinavia

Riverlands: Germany

Westerlands: England

Vale: Switzerland

Reach: France

Stormlands: Wales

Dorne: Spain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North: Ancient Germany + Scotland + Northumbria

Westerlands: England

Reach: France

Iron Islands: Scandinavia

Stormlands: Germany

Dorne: Spain + Moores

Beyond the Wall: Ancient Scotland + Gaul

Crownlands: Belgium?

Riverlands: Eastern Europe?

Vale: Switzerland

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riverlands with the rivers and scale armor is very E. European while Brussels, Belgium is the capital of the EU, like Kings Landing, Crownlands. Rich and home to the countries "royal" family

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I don't remember the Starks meddling with the process of succession of the lord of Casterly Rock. 

#TooSoon

#nottoosoon I laughed my arse off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When GRRM first started the series it was pretty obvious that the lands more or less represented the seven Kingdoms of Anglosaxon era Britain.

The far north was the land beyond Hadrians wall ie Pictish areas and the highlands. The North probably Strathclyde and Northumberland, The iron Islands the Viking controlled areas and the Scottish isles, Wales was a the vale and Dorne Cornwall. Wessex was the Westerlands , East anglia the Stormlands and Kent/Essex the crown lands and the reach.  The Riverlands were the fertile areas of the ancient kingdom of Mercia.

However he also gave to the Riverlands some characteristics of Ireland especially in the names Tully and even Catelyn - a rather Irish sounding name. this fits also since ireland was heavily attacked by Vikings as the riverland were by Harren and the Hoares. As the story progressed Dorne seemed more Spanish than Cornish and the reach rather French.

Obviously the free cities are drawn from European cities/nations, with Pentos Athens (or Greece), Braavos seems like Venice, Norvos presumably one of the north German cities. Not too sure about tyrosh, Myrrh and Lysene but i guess Amsterdam and Paris should be in the Mix somewhere. Volantis is Rome or perhaps Constantinople and the cities in slaver's bay the North coast of Africa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Ghis is Rome. A slaver city using legionnaire citizens who serve a term of 3 to 5 years. Volantis is more....Eastern-ish. A warrior caste and civilian caste, maybe India?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.