New Easter Tradition: Watership Down

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Oh my god.

I saw this during its theatrical release in 1978.  I was 5.  I was traumatized.

It wasn't until I read the book in my 20's. It remains one of my favorite novels, but I can't revisit the movie.  It's just horrifying.

I've said all this before but I was a very timid kid, got frightened of movies, and TV easily. The Blob came on TV, the Steve McQueen one, on a Sunday afternoon and seriously freaked me out. Forget about me ever watching the Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk series when I was very young. I got scared in The Muppet Movie at the theater when Animal took growth pills and became huge, Ghostbusters scared me, I walked out the first time I saw it at the "We're going to have put in some overtime!" part. Airplane warped my fragile little mind and I couldn't sleep for days without thinking about the crazy plane with the blow up doll pilot still up there. I was well into my 30's the first time I ever watched Jaws.

So, weird, when it comes to Watership Down, it didn't scare me like that when I watched it as a kid. I first saw it on TV not the theatre, but other things on TV had scared me. Watership Down's story engaged me. The intense parts thrilled me more than anything, more like the feeling of riding a roller coaster. Maybe it caught me at the point where I was just starting to grow out of being scared of things like that, I had rewatched Airplane on TV and discovered it wasn't so bad, Incredible Hulk was a Friday night staple for me, and in the next year or so I'd be braving through movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Poltergeist when they came on cable. Anyway, I loved the movie as a kid and still do today.

An animated film about bunnies, what could be better for Easter.

I watched WD aged in single figures, and re!Ember being pretty even between loving it, and being traumatised.

I very much enjoyed traumatising my French wife with it in her 30s, she absolutely hates it.

Archived