UK Politics Unexpected Election edition

Maltaran

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Please try to bring a bit more to the table than some reheated Daily Mail letters page grumbling.

That's a little harsh. Surely his posts are at least the standard of Daily Telegraph letters page grumbling :P

Again, the Tories are still going to win*, but at this rate, Theresa May is going to displace Michael Dukakis as the most inept campaigner in a western democracy since WWII:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-poll-yougov-latest-jeremy-corbyn-tory-points-slashed-theresa-may-party-surge-a7756421.html

*I'd bet on a Tory majority of 40 right now, but a Hung Parliament is now a viable possibility.

14 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

It's not surprising then that someone who has spent their entire lives in university would take any criticism of university personally and hence get personal at those criticising it.

Let me know if this happens. I'm just patiently pointing out your lack of any background in the subjects you're expounding upon. I don't take it 'personally', but clearly I do passionately believe in the importance of higher education, which is why I work in the sector.

Watching the growing, horrified realisation by Conservative politicians and commentators over the last week or so that they may have royally fucked this up has been most entertaining. I agree they'll probably still win, and it's not even impossible they'll still get a reasonable majority (once we get to voting day and people either don't vote or relapse into Tory stockholm syndrome in the booth), but they've made this far worse for themselves than it had to be.

"We're cruising to an easy victory. What should we do to solidify that victory?"

"Blatantly falsify crowd numbers, use another Big Bus of Lies and slap a massive tax on our core base whilst removing their pension increases?"

"Excellent. And shall we engage with a balanced and thorough critique of the Labour manifesto?"

"No, we'll just call them uncosted whilst proposing our own uncosted proposals and call Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser as we have for thirty years to no discernible outcome. And hope people don't start drawing a link between a successful terrorist incident and massive cuts to the police and security infrastructure on our watch. Oh, and lets send Michael Fallon TV to be humiliated in detail by not knowing the difference between the Foreign Secretary and the Leader of the Opposition."

If May wins the election with the same majority as now, or even a couple of seats down, do we think she'll have to resign? The embarrassment factor would be monumental.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

If May wins the election with the same majority as now, or even a couple of seats down, do we think she'll have to resign? The embarrassment factor would be monumental.

We can live in hope.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

You are that eager to read the headline:

"Primeminister Johnson welcomes President Trump"?

1 hour ago, Notone said:

You are that eager to read the headline:

"Primeminister Johnson welcomes President Trump"?

Well, at least then Trump  won't be that isolated at international meetings like the one in Sicily last week any longer. Although it's debatable if that might possibly constitute a positive development...

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Even if she resigns, who would come in who is actually any good. Seems like incompetence is everywhere, in every party.

It seems a bit like the choice the US had last year, two awful candidates, neither of which you want in power and you'd be quite happy to let their predecessor carry on, not that I'm comparing Cameron to Obama directly at all, merely I'd much prefer him to still be PM than either May or Corbyn.

6 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

It seems a bit like the choice the US had last year, two awful candidates, neither of which you want in power and you'd be quite happy to let their predecessor carry on, not that I'm comparing Cameron to Obama directly at all, merely I'd much prefer him to still be PM than either May or Corbyn.

But they had the President that wasn't: Sanders. May was never not going to win, even after Gove helpfully killed Boris' attempt. And Corbyn's opposition were so boring they wouldn't stand out on a beige carpet.

But surely Corbyn represents the Sanders position in our situation? The more left-leaning outsider. I mean, granted, Sanders has a heck of lot more natural charm but they represent the same political position, taking relativity into account, in their respective electoral spectra and surely using personality as a voting factor is surely a foolish method.

Why anyone thinks Cameron was any better than May I'll never know. They're essentially the same. The only difference between them is that Cameron was better at plunging people contentedly into the pot of water to boil before turning up the heat.

Even as a more Green-leaning voter, I'll be proudly voting Labour this election, especially because I personally know what a seriously nasty piece of work the Conservative MP in my constituency is.

30 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I don't suppose there are polls for individual constituencies are there? I just want to see who has the best chance of beating the Tories (though it's a safe seat), other than just by looking at the previous election results.

Only a very small handful of constituency polls get done, and they are very unreliable. Previous election results are probably a better guide.

My constituency was the only Scottish one to return a Labour MP in 2015, it'll go SNP or Labour, but i should think if the SNP couldn't take it in '15 they probably won't now. It's the first time I'm voting in a seat my preferred party has an actual chance in.

Archived