Reboot wish list - they are a thing, deal with it

DunderMifflin

Re-imagining older properties is one of those things that can --if it comes across as a blatant, "we're out of ideas/money grab-- can be so awful that inspires ire among the faithful...

The thing is, it can work.... The Fugitive was a terrific movie... I prefer John Carpenter's "The Thing" to the original... and we've all seen how great the new WestWorld is.... but the thing most well-done do-overs have in common is that they are made from older properties that couldn;t do the original concepts justice... Although Dredd was an exception to this....

But why on earth would anyone think that re-making Robo-cop --and PG-13 to boot-- was a good idea?.... The same with Total Recall.... Red Dawn.... Arthur... The Bad News Bears... and then they re-re-did the Thing.... and every time they Hollywood produces a Ghost-Busters-esque turd-of-a-retread... most of us can see it coming a mile away.... you can hear the groans in the theater when the trailers play...

For me, I'd like to see the "Six million dollar man"  brought into the 21st century.... they'd have to re-title it, since Six million would probably be his co-pay... but it could be if they get the right writers, and pay the proper amount of respect to the original...

14 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Hell, you didn't even need GL for that. He went from worst character ever as Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins to best(?) character ever as Deadpool in Deadpool. ;)

And I don't want a reboot of Agent Carter, but a third season would be nice. Or even just a three episode flashback arc on Agents of SHIELD would be nice. I need to see Peggy Carter found SHIELD and become its first director, damnit!

Well, I believe Charlie Cox's Daredevil is probably the most complete superhero in my eyes. Although Hayley Atwell's Agent Carter gives him run for his money. Yes, I would die to see her again.

As for real reboots, I would like to see Rome, Lost, Legend of the Seeker coming to life once again.

And can someone make a really nice adaptation of Arthurian legend? Is that too much to ask?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/db/63/36db634809c64b212c319a38aa847418.jpg

57 minutes ago, Risto said:

And can someone make a really nice adaptation of Arthurian legend? Is that too much to ask?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/db/63/36db634809c64b212c319a38aa847418.jpg

This...probably is not that. But I saw a billboard for it this morning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur:_Legend_of_the_Sword

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Well, I believe Charlie Cox's Daredevil is probably the most complete superhero in my eyes. Although Hayley Atwell's Agent Carter gives him run for his money. Yes, I would die to see her again.

As for real reboots, I would like to see Rome, Lost, Legend of the Seeker coming to life once again.

Well the Warlord Chronicles got optioned for TV, so there's some hope. I haven't heard anything about that for a while now so I guess not much is happening, but even a halfway faithful adaptation would be a great Arthurian TV show

eta: woah, 2015 when this was optioned? Time flies, doesn't feel like that long ago. http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/bernard-cornwells-warlord-chronicles.html

Not sure about the technicalities of what a reboot actually is.

A reboot is when an dormant property is launched again. That's pretty much the sole definition. A reboot can be either a remake (a totally new take on the same premise, like Battlestar Galactica) or a relaunch in the same continuity as the original (like Doctor Who or, more recently, The X-Files/Prison Break/24).

For remakes/reboots I'd like to see, #1 is Blake's 7. The original show had a brilliant premise and a whole of potential wasted by the show's ultra-low budget. Enough time has passed that it's fine to relaunch it with a new cast (it'll be the show's 40th anniversary next year) but the tone and approach to it needs to be just. The two previous attempts, which both failed, sounded shit.

I agree that Transformers needs to be relaunched. Probably Terminator as well. The first two movies are great but the franchise turned into a mess after that. The lack of pre-planning is a huge problem in a time travel story and I think if they went into it with a four or five-film plan it might work better. However, it might just be undoable because the original movie was made in a specific way at a specific time and that can never be repeated. Same thing for Alien, the franchise has turned into a clusterfuck with movies being de-canonised and people arguing over who should continue the thing. Unless Covenant and the upcoming last movie in the linking series are really good, I can't see much hope for it.

Dark Skies was a really good concept, I'd like to see someone taken another crack at that idea. 

Babylon 5 I go back and forth on. The original cast was amazing, but the show was way, way ahead of its time and really suffered from its low budget. I think it would do so much better now, but it'd be tough to see it without those great original actors.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, DunderMifflin said:

Sometimes (most of the time?) they are eye rolling and sometimes they work nicely.

1) Gremlins - probably be an average reboot but I love this franchise so much. Would be fun to see a modern take, just please don't let JJ direct it.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, dooog said:

I'd like to see terribly executed franchises rebooted, not the likes of Gremlins.

Yeah, I'd like to see another sequel rather than a reboot. If the continue in the satire vein of Gremlins 2 it could be very relevant. They all ready had John Glover as the "Daniel Clamp" real estate business tycoon that owns everything in 2, now bring him back only he's (running for?) POTUS. Imagine gremlins behind email hacks, electronic voting machine errors, drones strikes, intelligence gathering, nuclear weapons, etc. Or Clamp remembers his encounter and thinks "Instant army! Just add water!"

Just now, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Also, I wish the 2011 Thundercats animated relaunch would've gotten a fair shake at a second season. With the success of Voltron on Netflix maybe it'll happen over there. :/

I hope so!

Archived