Quaithe Doesn't Exist (SPOILERS ALL)

Maester Saramello

4 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Ya, you aren't wrong, not sure why I thought it was weirwood there for a minute... my b

No problem. I did that same thing with Ned's bed the other day and that's what got me thinking about the mask here :)

6 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

It isn't true that no one else sees Quaithe...

When Quaithe too was gone, Ser Jorah said, "She speaks truly, my queen . . . though I like her no more than the others."

She presented herself physically in Qarth and as a vision thereafter.

6 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I believe Dany is hallucinating Quaithe in all instances after Qarth.  I don't believe the hallucinations are an important foreshadowing of future mad-Dany, just GRRM's way of reminding the readers of Quaithe's prophecy, the same way he has Dany repeat in her head all the betrayal stuff from the HOTU over and over again.  Not everything GRRM does has to be super duper subtle and sneaky to the readers.

So then Dany is psychic. Because she knew all the people who were headed toward her and knew to warn herself not to trust any of them...or the perfumed seneschal.  Not to mention knowing that the glass candles are burning again. Do you really want to give the mother of dragons (etc, etc, etc,) yet another special snowflake ability?

Quaithe doesn't make prophecies. She gives real-time info, splashed with advice, but she's never told the future. You won't find Truth in Qarth. These people are on their way, don't trust them. The glass candles are burning. She's like DNN (Dany's News Network).

10 hours ago, Maester Saramello said:

My mind was racing with Asoiaf stuff when I realized something. Quaithe might just be a vision of Dany's. She never interacts with any other characters. No other characters ever interact with her. We know to an extend that Dany has the Targaryen/Valyrian gift of prophecy and future vision, when she had visions after the stillbirth. Could Daenerys be projecting her prophecies in the form of Quaithe? After the first time we meet her in ACOK, she only appears to Dany, usually when alone. Thus, instead of a Qartheen Wizard, she is just Dany's psyche in a mental form. This would explain why no one has every interacted with her, and why after Qarth, Quaithe only visits Dany when she sleeps, and be validated by the fact that many of Dany's ancestors, Daenys the Dreamer, Daemon II Blackfyre, and Daeron the Drunkard, have had similar experiences, all during dreams in their sleep. 

What do you think? 

Half right IMO. As noted above Jorah and many others meet Quaithe in Qarth. However after that I think Quiathe communicates to Dany via glass candle which explains why she isn't actually there.

7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Isn't Quaithe's mask red lacquer? I don't remember it being weirwood. Did I forget???:huh: Now I'm curious if the red lacquer means anything significant. 

I know Morna has a weirwood mask and Val a weirwood face brooch. 

Indeed, no weirwood with Quaithe, but the mask is interesting because it is literaly a wooden face, as weirwoods have faces carved ontheir tronk. If we add the capacity to talk to people in their dreams (via glass candle for the most probably), you can make a symbolic link with the weirwoods and with the 3EC. 

To go further, Xaro Xoan Daxos and Pyat Pree can also be reliated to the 3EC, non in the sense where they would be incarnations of the 3EC, but as literar variations on the same theme : 

- Xaro is described with some physic characteristic of a bird

Xaro was a languid, elegant man with a bald head and a great beak of a nose crusted with rubies, opals, and flakes of jade. (Daenerys II, ACOK)

(after prey bird and mocking bird, here is the exotic and colored bird ^^)

As bird-character, he is a liar and greedy. His lie toward Daenerys is shown by his interest for boys when in the same time he want to marry her, and also with his false tears; at the end, there is an hypothesis about him like the one who paid the Sorrows to kill Dany (and not the warlocks as Dany thinks). And his greediness is representing by his house swallowing people : 

Xaro swore that his home could comfortably house all of her people and their horses besides; indeed, it swallowed them. (Daenerys II ACOK)

Daenerys think even that Illyrio-the-whale is beaten. Though, as Illyrio, Xaro is a merchant, as LF. LF's greediness isn't visible throw his house (he has no really house, in fact, like cuckoo, LF makes his nests in nests of other people), but throw his clothes

- Pyat Pree : another liar, like are the crows , He is "pale", word used to describe BR ("lord pale", in Bran II ADWD), or the Others, or people dead or near death in particular (pale has many other occurancies, for shadows and mists, also, but the important think is the context : the first appearof an Other describes him as "pale as milk", and people of Qarth are called "blood milk" by Dothraki, for example). So the colors of Pyat are "pale" and "blue" : the blue of the shadow-of-the-evening, which open the "third eye" and gives the blue lips. The drink of the warlocks is made with a tree all black with blue leaves : this is the exactly opposite of the weirwood's colors, but here I think the opposite is used to show parallelism.

Without developping further Pyat's stuff, I just wanted to show how the 3 characters (Quaithe, Xaro and Pyat) are symbolically linked and how they all represent an antagonist and/or a trap for the dragon (Quaithe wants that Dany goes to Asshai, and she don't hesitate to whispers some advices which have all same purpose : be confident to nobody; a perfect way to create and cultivate paranoia, and we know where paranoia conducted Aerys). Daenerys don't interest them, but her dragon-blood, and her dragons. They are all kind of liars and manipulative people that the dragon must "slay" at the end. Probably some step before slaying/dissolving the "lies" of the 3EC. If I push a bit the parallelism, I suspect that a 3EC of the past was strongly desiring another "royal" blood, like wolf-blood.  

18 hours ago, Quoth the raven, said:

I am sorry to say this but you are working very hard to push away logic.  Jorah saw Quaithe.  Quaithe is real. 

To be honest the idea never crossed my mind until I saw this post so I guess you are right to be honest.

Archived