NHL Playoffs: Stanley's Suitors

l2 0 5 5

3 hours ago, Biter said:

The Florida Panthers last won a playoff series in 1996. The Winnipeg Jets last won a playoff series in 1987 (granted, the team relocated and was inactive for 15 years). The Jackets aren't the only team with a terrible playoff record.

No, but they're the only team as far as I know that have never even won a playoff series. At least the Panthers had a Cup run. The Jackets have never even really made it a series the few times they've made it. 

Fuck this first round has been awesome. So much overtime. Passed out early so wasnt able to see Boston complete the comeback but i'm glad to they did. Hope it goes 7. 

Hope Montreal can force a game 7 as well. 

As for the Blues/Wild I think I'll root for the Wild today but the Blues in game 6. The last thing I would want is for the Preds to face The Wild after they complete a reverse sweep but I would like those two teams to beat up on eachother for a couple more games. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Rags advance :ack:

They'll probably cruise to the ECF too. 

Yeah I dont think they have been that impressive but I think theyre better than Ottawa or Boston. East is Pitts to lose again.

Edmonton with two breakaway goals in the opening two minutes of the 2nd period. Sharks look lost. 

Super impressed with how Edmonton bounced back after that 7-0 loss. Hope they beat the ducks. 

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

No, but they're the only team as far as I know that have never even won a playoff series. At least the Panthers had a Cup run. The Jackets have never even really made it a series the few times they've made it. 

Well, the current Jets/Thrashers franchise has never won a playoff game, let alone a series (two playoff appearances since 2000). The last playoff win for Winnipeg was on April 26, 1996 (they would then lose their series against Detroit 2 games to 4).

Appreciated, guys. And I am excited, I'm a total build through the draft/rebuild guy, and this is the first of my teams to ever really do it, so I'm enjoying it. But it hurts because this series was there for the taking. Not that Washington played poorly, they were often dominant in this series. But to my surprise, so were we. 

I came into this season wanting one more great draft. The pragmatist in me says that would ultimately have been of greater benefit than a first round exit, but it felt great.

Of course if feelings made any sense we'd call them thoughts.

The yearly tease goes on for us old timers as St Louis heads into the second round.

It should be fun to see what two rested teams do when the Blues take on Nashville.  I doubt it will go anything less than six games.

58 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

The yearly tease goes on for us old timers as St Louis heads into the second round.

It should be fun to see what two rested teams do when the Blues take on Nashville.  I doubt it will go anything less than six games.

I feel bad for the guys that have to try and score on Allen and Rinne right now.  

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Im just excited to be playing a fresh team that we have never played in the playoffs before. Think a NSH/STL rivalry can really kick on now.

I absolutely love that Nashville fans have taken to the NHL in such a passionate way.  It was refreshing to see them play the Hawks and not have a sea of red Kane/Toews/Hossa jerseys in Bridgestone Arena. 

3 hours ago, The Wedge said:

I absolutely love that Nashville fans have taken to the NHL in such a passionate way.  It was refreshing to see them play the Hawks and not have a sea of red Kane/Toews/Hossa jerseys in Bridgestone Arena. 

Yeah dude Nashville is very passionate about the Preds. You still get some fans who aren't that knowledgeable of the sport but its getting a lot better. 

15 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Appreciated, guys. And I am excited, I'm a total build through the draft/rebuild guy, and this is the first of my teams to ever really do it, so I'm enjoying it. But it hurts because this series was there for the taking. Not that Washington played poorly, they were often dominant in this series. But to my surprise, so were we. 

I came into this season wanting one more great draft. The pragmatist in me says that would ultimately have been of greater benefit than a first round exit, but it felt great.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Do not underestimate the value of playoff experience here.  Draft picks are always hit or miss, and generally a few years from being productive.  Playoff experience pays immediate and certain benefits.

Archived