NHL Playoffs: Stanley's Suitors

l2 0 5 5

Sorry Jabronius.  It was a good run though. I hope Oilers fans feel a little better about Larsson for Hall now too. He seemed to play pretty well for you guys all year.

As for the conference finals:

Preds over Ducks in 6

Pens over Sens in 6

37 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Sorry Jabronius.  It was a good run though. I hope Oilers fans feel a little better about Larsson for Hall now too. He seemed to play pretty well for you guys all year.

As for the conference finals:

Preds over Ducks in 6

Pens over Sens in 6

Larsson is an absolute workhorse and I'm glad he's on the squad. He's been steady on the back end, especially later in the season and in the playoffs. Makes the trade easier to digest, but I still wish we had Hall. Hope he's been good for you guys in NJ.

As for the remaining series, let's see...

Penguins in 7

Preds in 5 (partly due to me being salty, partly due to Nash being a juggernaut)

Side note: I'm kinda wary of the Sens. Round 1 saw alot of experts/fans writing them off, and then many people thought the Rags would roll through the Sens. This team seems to defy expectations, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them upset Pittsburgh. That trap system could prove to be very disruptive to the Penguins.

8 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah the D had some bonehead turnovers. Like I said earlier, Maata is killing me. Overall we were good in our zone and helped Fleury post the shutout. Great back checking from the forwards was noticeable. 

Hainsey made my asshole pucker a few more times than I would have liked, too.  On the plus side, I spent a good chunk of the regular season moaning about Cole and he looked great.  

Pens and Preds in 6, which is the first time that all of my actual predictions and all of my hopes line up this playoffs.  

3 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Hainsey made my asshole pucker a few more times than I would have liked, too.  On the plus side, I spent a good chunk of the regular season moaning about Cole and he looked great.  

Pens and Preds in 6, which is the first time that all of my actual predictions and all of my hopes line up this playoffs.  

Add Ruhwedl to that list as well. Safe to say him and Hainsey won't be in our top 6 next year. 

I think it would be nice to see some teams that are unaccustomed to playoff success get to the Stanley Cup finals, but the reigning champions are looking really good right now... So this is what I'm hoping for (maybe not exacly what I'm expecting to see):

Sens in 7

Predators in 6.

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I think it'll all come down to if the Pens can handle Karlsson. The Rags had no answer for him most of the series. He'd be my frontrunner for the Conn Smythe right now. Malkin and Getzlaf are right there too though. 

I wouldn't discount the forwards.  they are solid down the middle.

But agree, their D is nothing to write home about.  

As is generally the case, goalie is the wild card.

It may come down to who is better between Andersen and Fluery.

Preds in 6

Pens in 5.

Ovechkin is getting absolutely obliterated on social media and by the hockey talking heads today. And honestly, he deserves it. I remember Ross pointing out how much of a playoff choker he is it really can't be denied anymore. The fact he's never got the Caps out of the 2nd round is astonishing. I saw someone say he'll go down as the best player to never win a Cup, and it's starting to look like that's going to be exactly how he'll be remembered. 

26 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Trotz hasn't got out of the second round either :o makes me wonder if he will get fired.

Idk but you guys got a good one in Laviolette. I've always liked him. Wtf did we have Tortorella coaching the US instead of him in the last tournament? 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Ovechkin is getting absolutely obliterated on social media and by the hockey talking heads today. And honestly, he deserves it. I remember Ross pointing out how much of a playoff choker he is it really can't be denied anymore. The fact he's never got the Caps out of the 2nd round is astonishing. I saw someone say he'll go down as the best player to never win a Cup, and it's starting to look like that's going to be exactly how he'll be remembered. 

And really, I'm not sure he deserves that.  Sometimes, no matter how good you are, someone else wins even though you were better, especially in a sport that seems as occasionally flukey as hockey.  

14 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

And really, I'm not sure he deserves that.  Sometimes, no matter how good you are, someone else wins even though you were better, especially in a sport that seems as occasionally flukey as hockey.  

Agreed.  Ovechkin i, essentially, a one trick pony.  He's very very good at that one trick, but it doesn't necessarily make him what I'd consider a 'dominant player', and I don't think he makes a particularly good captain. 

On 10.5.2017 at 4:35 AM, Joe Pesci said:

Milbury and Jones need to be put out to pasture, no one wants to hear two goons bitch and moan about how great hockey was in their day. McGuire would be an ideal replacement for dumb and dumber though, and then I wouldn't have to hear him talk about some random shit like how Tom Kuhnackl's dad was some great hockey player in Germany back in the day...end rant.

No. You can't axe Milbury. Without him there would be no Milbury scale. And I sense some real blasphemy here. Tom's dad wasn't just any great hockey player, he is Germany's hockey player of the century. No, I am not making up that title, and yes, I would have expected that honour to be reserved for Krupp (first German to win the Stanley Cup if I am not mistaken).

1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

Agreed.  Ovechkin i, essentially, a one trick pony.  He's very very good at that one trick, but it doesn't necessarily make him what I'd consider a 'dominant player', and I don't think he makes a particularly good captain. 

Right.  A strategy focused around "get Ovechkin the puck and a shot" is fine, but he can't actually make that happen.  Building a team around him requires building a team around whoever you decide to make responsible for making that happen, who is ultimately going to have much more of an impact on the game.  He's a great star to have and a great fan draw, but his success is far more dependent on the success of his team rather than the other way around.  He can't simply take over a game like some other star players can.  Like, to nullify Crosby, you have to actually shut him down.  To nullify Ovechkin, you can shut down the players responsible for getting him the puck OR shut him down directly.  Blaming him directly for losses seems misguided unless you can show that his team did give him a lot of high-quality shot chances and he didn't convert.  And I don't think you can, at least this series.  

4 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

Right.  A strategy focused around "get Ovechkin the puck and a shot" is fine, but he can't actually make that happen.  Building a team around him requires building a team around whoever you decide to make responsible for making that happen, who is ultimately going to have much more of an impact on the game.  He's a great star to have and a great fan draw, but his success is far more dependent on the success of his team rather than the other way around.  He can't simply take over a game like some other star players can.  Like, to nullify Crosby, you have to actually shut him down.  To nullify Ovechkin, you can shut down the players responsible for getting him the puck OR shut him down directly.  Blaming him directly for losses seems misguided unless you can show that his team did give him a lot of high-quality shot chances and he didn't convert.  And I don't think you can, at least this series.  

Totally agree.  Plus, I think his knee was jacked up, but again, when you have so many eggs in one basket, you open yourself up to that kind of risk.  

22 minutes ago, Notone said:

No. You can't axe Milbury. Without him there would be no Milbury scale. And I sense some real blasphemy here. Tom's dad wasn't just any great hockey player, he is Germany's hockey player of the century. No, I am not making up that title, and yes, I would have expected that honour to be reserved for Krupp (first German to win the Stanley Cup if I am not mistaken).

Some real blasphemy? Honestly, I have no clue who Tom Kuhnackl's dad is, other than hearing Pierre mention him once during a game. Sorry my German hockey history isn't up to snuff...

This Preds team looks scary as fuck. Their offense just doesn't give the puck up and Rinne is a brick wall. 

I think the Ducks were lucky to be in this game. Outshot 46-29, with Gibson making several quality saves. If it weren't for his play, they would've be blown off the ice today. (Rinne played very well also, but the Preds had much more offense). 

Archived