NHL Playoffs: Stanley's Suitors

l2 0 5 5

22 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Terrible game from Rinne. You can't lose when your team only allows 10 shots and scores 3. 

In his defense, the second goal was impossible to stop, the third was an own goal, and the fourth was a good shot while Rinne hadn't made a save in 37 min. 

That was just one of the strangest games I've ever seen...

1 hour ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

In his defense, the second goal was impossible to stop, the third was an own goal, and the fourth was a good shot while Rinne hadn't made a save in 37 min.

That was just one of the strangest games I've ever seen...

It's definitely hard on a goalie when they aren't getting a lot of work. Brodeur was the best at making the big saves when it counted when the Devils were smothering the opposition back in the day. 

The disallowed goal looked like the right call to me. Looks as if skate is off ice before puck crosses blue. Even if it was shown in that 1980 colored replay film. Pens have a precedent this postseason in winning games that they were outplayed in. Pretty sure that was the storyline after the first couple games against the Caps. 

I don't understand the thought process behind trading a SCF win with the team who lost? You guys are nuts...

10 hours ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

I wouldn't be happy at all if I were a pens fan. The Preds just owned possession and probably should've won this one. 

The Preds will win the series if they keep up this level of play. 

Eh, I'll take getting outplayed and still winning the game in the SCF any day. It's not the most desirable way of winning, that's for sure, but getting that W is all that matters now. The Preds can win the series if they keep their play at the same level as last night, but if the Pens raise theirs to match, I'm not so sure Nashville will be able to keep pace scoring. Regardless, it's going to make for some very interesting hockey, and it's a toss-up imo as to who will win it.

3 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

The disallowed goal looked like the right call to me. Looks as if skate is off ice before puck crosses blue. Even if it was shown in that 1980 colored replay film. Pens have a precedent this postseason in winning games that they were outplayed in. Pretty sure that was the storyline after the first couple games against the Caps. 

I don't understand the thought process behind trading a SCF win with the team who lost? You guys are nuts...

Mostly because I have faith that if the gameplay stays the same, the Predators will win.  

25 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

The Preds can win the series if they keep their play at the same level as last night, but if the Pens raise theirs to match, I'm not so sure Nashville will be able to keep pace scoring. Regardless, it's going to make for some very interesting hockey, and it's a toss-up imo as to who will win it.

Can't see the Pens playing that poorly again but at the same time I like to think that Rinne won't play that bad again either.

Think Game 2 will be huge as to the outcome of the series, do not see the Preds coming back from down two games to zero. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Can't see the Pens playing that poorly again but at the same time I like to think that Rinne won't play that bad again either.

Think Game 2 will be huge as to the outcome of the series, do not see the Preds coming back from down two games to zero. 

I agree on Rinne for sure. Murray seemed off a bit as well last night. I was looking at the stats just now, and I could've sworn the Preds had way more than 26 shots on goal with the amount of time they had the puck. As Jabronius said up thread, it was just such a strange game.

8 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Mostly because I have faith that if the gameplay stays the same, the Predators will win.  

Right. And I have the same faith that we'll put up more than 12 shots next game. One poor game doesn't condemn a team to play that way the rest of the series. Therefore, I'll take a win and be 3 games closer to a cup than foolishly asking for a loss just because the other team had a better overall game. Playing a better game doesn't count worth a shit if you don't score more than the other team.

There have been so many momentum shifts for the Pens, good and bad, in game and between games, during this playoff season that I don't feel safe with any lead.  They have a habit of letting their foot off the gas.  While it would be very nice to go up 2-0 tonight, that would in no way be insurmountable for Nashville if they can string together an overall level of performance similar to game 1, especially if Rinne is back in the zone.

5 hours ago, Winterfella said:

There have been so many momentum shifts for the Pens, good and bad, in game and between games, during this playoff season that I don't feel safe with any lead.  They have a habit of letting their foot off the gas.  While it would be very nice to go up 2-0 tonight, that would in no way be insurmountable for Nashville if they can string together an overall level of performance similar to game 1, especially if Rinne is back in the zone.

They are historically bad at letting leads up.  Preds have some scorers which makes that a bad combo for the Pens. I think Pens pull out the win again tonight due to our depth and solid play from Murray. When it comes down to it, we have 4 lines that can put the puck in the net.

Archived