NHL Playoffs: Stanley's Suitors

l2 0 5 5

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Wow what a pathetic effort by the Preds. Had to turn it off.

Pens going to repeat. Yawn.

To play devil's advocate, and crackpot, the last team to have a chance to repeat was the '08-'09 Red Wings. They beat us in the SCF the year before, and seemed on their way to do it again when they beat us in games 1 & 2 at home. We power back and win games 3 & 4 at home (with quite possibly my favorite Pens memory in game 4 when Jordan Staal scored a shorty to lift us over the Wings), only to get our asses beat in game 5. Guess what the score was? 5-0.... Pens go on to win games 6 & 7 to overthrow the champs and break up the repeat.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen but couldn't help noticing the similarities.

8 hours ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

I was down on Broadway last Saturday for game 3.  It was complete bedlam, an amazing atmosphere.  I can't imagine what it might be like on Sunday if the Preds win tonight in Pittsburgh. Let's all hope for a great game 5.  It sure has shaped up to be good.

Wow, I was really wrong. @Nictarion, it has been pathetic.  Don't count us out yet though.  

That was awful. Worse than Game 7 vs the Sharks last year when we completely collapsed. Win game 6 and anything can happen but I am not confident at all. 

Not that the refs performance would have changed a thing but the coincedental penalties when Crosby was knocking PK's head against the ice was fucking embarrasing. 

Edit: okay after watching the highlights Subban was kinda holding Crosby so maybe the refs were right. Still think Crosby knocking his head on the ice to get free was a bit excessive 

15 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

To play devil's advocate, and crackpot, the last team to have a chance to repeat was the '08-'09 Red Wings. They beat us in the SCF the year before, and seemed on their way to do it again when they beat us in games 1 & 2 at home. We power back and win games 3 & 4 at home (with quite possibly my favorite Pens memory in game 4 when Jordan Staal scored a shorty to lift us over the Wings), only to get our asses beat in game 5. Guess what the score was? 5-0.... Pens go on to win games 6 & 7 to overthrow the champs and break up the repeat.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen but couldn't help noticing the similarities.

Those similarities have been increasingly in my mind the entire series.  There's every reason to think the Preds take game 6, but I do not want to see a game 7 as it will not be a repeat of game 5.

An aside: My favorite Pens memory is the '08 cup final game 5 triple OT win that only delayed the inevitable, but man, probably the best hockey game I've ever seen.  Talbot with the tying goal as the Redwings were 34 seconds away from the cup with the crowd chanting "we want the cup", Fleury standing on his head the entire night, and Petr Sykora calling that he would get the game winner in the 3rd OT.

4 hours ago, Winterfella said:

Those similarities have been increasingly in my mind the entire series.  There's every reason to think the Preds take game 6, but I do not want to see a game 7 as it will not be a repeat of game 5.

An aside: My favorite Pens memory is the '08 cup final game 5 triple OT win that only delayed the inevitable, but man, probably the best hockey game I've ever seen.  Talbot with the tying goal as the Redwings were 34 seconds away from the cup with the crowd chanting "we want the cup", Fleury standing on his head the entire night, and Petr Sykora calling that he would get the game winner in the 3rd OT.

Hell yes I'll never forget that. Awesome moment, just didn't have enough that year. I'll never forget Hossa slumped against the boards once the final horn went off in game 6. Huge letdown, and then the ultimate vengeance against him and the Wings the next year.

What a completely fucking whacky series this is! The Pens had to love doling out a thorough thrashing like that after getting their asses handed to them twice in Nashville. I'm leaning towards the Preds winning game 6 in a closer contest than the last few have been, but I want to see who's going to be in net for them.

8 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

What a completely fucking whacky series this is! The Pens had to love doling out a thorough thrashing like that after getting their asses handed to them twice in Nashville. I'm leaning towards the Preds winning game 6 in a closer contest than the last few have been, but I want to see who's going to be in net for them.

In Nashville it has to be Rinne. I don't think they make a goalie change regardless because their backup has given up goals when they bring him in any way.

Impressive achievement Pens. Two in a row in this era is ridiculous. 

I think the Preds are good enough and young enough to be back in this position for years to come but chances are it will be a long while till we get back. Feels like such a wasted opportunity. 

Probably one of the worst ways I could have imagined us losing. Gonna be bitter about if for a long time. 

Polar opposite to their win last year. In 2016 they overwhelmed their opponents into submission. This time they just managed to survive til the end. Personally I think they shouldve awarded it to the goalie tandem, but who knows how the mvp voting goes. 

I'm disappointed because I wanted to see Subban win a cup. But he balled out in these playoffs, along with the rest of his mates. And he has a solid shot of getting back here next year. 

At any rate, we now have TWO Time champ Phil Kessel. Praise be. 

Back to Back! The disallowed goal was the right call, no matter how slight the interference was, it was still there. Kudos to the Preds, when you get hot in the playoffs, there's not much else you can say, and they delivered the whole way through. They were an impressive team throughout, and this was a fantastic game to end the Finals.

Now the question here in the Burgh is, does Crosby pass Lemieux as the hockey icon in town with 3 Cups? I say yes.

Wait there wasn't interference on the disallowed goal. The ref just blew the whistle early cause he lost sight of the puck. All he needed to do was skate back a few feet and he would have seen Murray never had it and Sissons was about to slot it in.

16 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

The disallowed goal was the right call, no matter how slight the interference was, it was still there.

There was no interference. The goal was disallowed because the referee lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. That said, it was indeed the right call given the existing rules... but it must be galling for Preds fans that they lost a goal purely due to referee incompetence.

9 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Wait there wasn't interference on the disallowed goal. The ref just blew the whistle early cause he lost sight of the puck. All he needed to do was skate back a few feet and he would have seen Murray never had it and Sissons was about to slot it in.

Well I was out at the bar, and couldn't hear what the call was, so I assumed that was what it was. My fault for being wrong. I still think it would've been overturned though if it would've gone to a replay for interference if it had come to that.

E: What a great series, and no disrespected intended.

Archived