Bakker XLVIII - Selected to LEAD not to READ

lokisnow

Some dating is cleared up in TUC which I don't think is spoilery:

Arkfall took place c. 8,000 years before TAE, or circa 3,900 years before the Breaking of the Gates. I thought something came up previously that made that impossible, but on a re-assemement I couldn't find anything to that effect, so that seems to work.

No way, Kellhus said the Womb-Plague was 4,000 years ago, which Bakker later corrected to 5,000. There could not have been a 3,000-4,000 year span between arkfall and the womb-plague given that Cujara Cinmoi was alive during that entire period.

Just the messenger here.

A Nonman claims to have lived for 8,000 years and was around when Arkfall happened. He could be batshit crazy, of course, but that seems a rather arbitrary figure to pluck out of nowhere. But the 400-odd year lifespan of the pre-WP Nonmen is an issue there.

Meanwhile, I've updated the wiki on the Nine Mansions in light of the info in TUC (no spoilers)

9 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

It's all good, I'm just trying to go in as fresh as possible. 

Yes, I'm bowing out as well. I've seen just enough to whet my appetite, and I still have the re-read to tide me over.

Around 1/3rd of the way through WLW -- It's amazing how faster the pages turn, once Bakker picks up the pace.

1 hour ago, Hello World said:

No way, Kellhus said the Womb-Plague was 4,000 years ago, which Bakker later corrected to 5,000. There could not have been a 3,000-4,000 year span between arkfall and the womb-plague given that Cujara Cinmoi was alive during that entire period.

I'm disappointed too if the 5,000 years ago has been retconned. But I don't think it is ever truly specified how much time has passed since the conclusion of the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars and the Breaking of the Gates. Just that the Nonmen retire to their Mansions, a victorious but diminished race, waiting for the inevitable doom of their people. It could have been 500 years or 3,500 that they were just sitting around.

Interesting edit on wiki page by Wert, not sure if this has been known,

The Gates of Eärwa or Gates of Thayant are a series of fortified passes [...] Some historians hold that the Gates and Siöl are one and the same, and the Breaking of the Gates also refers to the destruction of the mansion of Siöl.

Pretty much. Siol was the largest, most populous and most powerful Mansion, so it falling first (and Nihrimsul shortly thereafter) would make sense, as it would reduce the Nonmen quite considerably from being able to respond effectively

On 5/5/2017 at 8:49 PM, Kalbear said:

What a fucking awesome line.

"You and I are not common. Our anger is a hammer that can shatter gods."

My hope is that this is the inversion that Mimara triggers. That she takes the role of Jesse Custer and is the decided that the gods are to end, the damnation is to end, and she is the hammer. 

Third series is called "the God Hunter" in that case

11 hours ago, LuckyCharms said:

I'm disappointed too if the 5,000 years ago has been retconned. But I don't think it is ever truly specified how much time has passed since the conclusion of the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars and the Breaking of the Gates. Just that the Nonmen retire to their Mansions, a victorious but diminished race, waiting for the inevitable doom of their people. It could have been 500 years or 3,500 that they were just sitting around.

A few millennia unmolested makes sense given the mind numbing volume of sculpture we have seen in three separate non man mansions.

also, the inchoroi may not have immediately triggered their plague, it could have been centuries or millennia in the planning ( and might also explain why cunoroi numbers were so voluminous for the wars. In general long lived species breed infrequently. Perhaps the inchoroi triggered the womb plague to prevent The non men from out breeding the resources available on the planet and the inchoroi figured if they didn't act with chemical casteation the planet would be unable to sustain their burgeoning numbers.

I think the numbers Wert is referring to make sense.  I have always thought that Arkfall occurred ~6,000 years before TAE.  I base this on two things:

1) When Achamian and the Skin Eaters first enter Cil-Aujus, he reviews and ponders Nonman sculptures depicting a battle outside the Ark, the Battle of Pir-Pahal.  Sil is specifically shown.  Achamian considers all the horror surrounding the Inchoroi and the pain they have wrought upon the World, and that the war depicted on the walls has never truly ended.  While looking at the sculptures, there is the specific line in which Achamian thinks "Ten thousand years of woe."

2) When Achamian begins to realize that Cleric is one of the World's powers, and ruminates on his possible identity, I do believe Bakker writes it as Achamian being slack-jawed at the idea of walking in the presence of a being who is roughly ten millennia old.  And if I am not mistaken, Nil'giccas was alive and well when the Ark fell.

15 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Another quote since many of you keep clamoring for more!

332 pages into TUC and I'm really enjoying it so far! :)

That quote actually seems to have a decent spoiler.

As damned as the Ordealmen are,

confirms something we've (strongly) suspected but not explicitly known.

...the bigger spoiler, IMO, 

Spoiler

...is that there is a 'convergence' of the major players ... Mimira seems to be gazing at the Ark at roughly the same timeframe as she has gazed at the Ordeal. At least, that's what it seems from that quote. Also, that matters concerning Golgotterah will apparently be addressed in the last 100 pages, given where Pat is (unless Kelly translocates back and enters earlier.

Archived