Bakker XLVIII - Selected to LEAD not to READ

lokisnow

Just a thought here - but the notion that 'weapons of light' meant lasers was a given, but it doesn't have to be that way, does it? It could have been the nukes.

More terrible still were those few Inchoroi who ventured out into battle, hanging above the tumult, sweeping the earth with their weapons of light, apparently unaffected by the sorceries of the Ishroi.

Seems to be lasers.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Just a thought here - but the notion that 'weapons of light' meant lasers was a given, but it doesn't have to be that way, does it? It could have been the nukes.

Hmmm there might be some textual support (or at least: non-inconsistency) for this? From TTT:

More terrible still were those few Inchoroi who ventured out into battle, hanging above the tumult, sweeping the earth with their weapons of light, apparently unaffected by the sorceries of the Ishroi.

The "hanging above the tumult" and "sweeping the earth" sounds a lot like what Aurang was doing in TGO. But I guess they could just be using lasers.

On an unrelated note (but related to the above), can someone please remind me what the Ishroi are? I thought the Quya were the only sorcerers, but the above text would seem to indicate otherwise.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

On an unrelated note (but related to the above), can someone please remind me what the Ishroi are? I thought the Quya were the only sorcerers, but the above text would seem to indicate otherwise.

Ishroi I believe are the high warrior caste of the Nonmen - kind of like knights or lords would be. Some of them can use sorcery too, like Cleric. 

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Makes sense that chorae protects them against the conventions of grammar.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:08 PM, Kalbear said:

This goes well in line with the idea that the Consult is actually the good guys, and that's the Big Reveal.

I don't really feel this is where we are heading though.  More like, what the Inchoroi saw in the Inverse Fire is true and what they did in making the Consult is a logical next step to "deal" with it, but still a terrible choice.

On 5/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

Idk, being referred to as remnants of a "once-dread Arsenal" implies that they were always meant to be weapons, no?

Yeah, probably, it was just a top-of-my-head, quick thought.  Still, it could be that Sil was "built" more for physical violence where others were made for exacting other "vices."

2 hours ago, Hello World said:

Only way I can see the Consult as the good guys is if everyone in the universe was damned and the Consult plan would ex post facto save their souls.

I've wondered about this as well, that something happened on Earwa long ago that established the current damnation system.  And that damnation system applies not only to Earwa but all of existence.  

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Definitely lasers, or it might be a catch-all term for both lasers and nukes.

also, the inchoroi may not have immediately triggered their plague, it could have been centuries or millennia in the planning ( and might also explain why cunoroi numbers were so voluminous for the wars. In general long lived species breed infrequently. Perhaps the inchoroi triggered the womb plague to prevent The non men from out breeding the resources available on the planet and the inchoroi figured if they didn't act with chemical casteation the planet would be unable to sustain their burgeoning numbers.

The numbers weren't that great. We actually get figures on some of the old hosts:

About 110,000 of the Ordeal survive the march and the Scalding to reach Golgotterath. This is three times the number of Nonmen who finally defeated the Inchoroi - so that'd have been about 35,000 - and half again the numbers in the First Ordeal during the Apocalypse, so that was around 75,000.

Interesting,

Spoiler

Four millennia later, the Mansion of Illisserû was likewise repurposed and settled, becoming the stronghold of the Swayal Compact.

Pretty sure this was never mentioned before. Wert, I have a question. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only Swayal witch that we met up close so far is Serwa. Do we get to know any others in TUC?

Just finished The Unholy Consult.

Fuck me, that was some cool shit! God knows I'm not always a fan of long-drawn (more than 150 pages) battles, but the battle for Golgotterath was probably better than any of Erikson's epic convergences!

A great, fitting finale that closes the show with a massive exclamation point! But with a cliffhanger ending that could, as Wert pointed out, cause riots among Bakker fans if this is indeed the last Second Apocalypse book. 

I need to let this percolate for a while before I can get my thoughts in order and write a review. And I need to read the glossary and the rest.

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

But Bakker has already stated that he is working on TSTSNBN already.

He has, but he has no publishing deal, he has nothing lined up, and he has no timeline. This is somewhat problematic for releasing things. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Just finished The Unholy Consult.

Fuck me, that was some cool shit! God knows I'm not always a fan of long-drawn (more than 150 pages) battles, but the battle for Golgotterath was probably better than any of Erikson's epic convergences!

A great, fitting finale that closes the show with a massive exclamation point! But with a cliffhanger ending that could, as Wert pointed out, cause riots among Bakker fans if this is indeed the last Second Apocalypse book. 

I need to let this percolate for a while before I can get my thoughts in order and write a review. And I need to read the glossary and the rest.

Was there any long plays that come to fruition? Stuff set up way back in the early books that came out of nowhere?

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

He has, but he has no publishing deal, he has nothing lined up, and he has no timeline. This is somewhat problematic for releasing things. 

Oh, you see, I am a optimist. I don't get hung up on those details, it'll fall into place. In 50 years Bakker will be the new Tolkien, wanna bet?

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh, you see, I am a optimist. I don't get hung up on those details, it'll fall into place. In 50 years Baller will be the new Tolkien, wanna bet?

Yeah, Michael Jordan will definitely be the new Tolkien.

Archived