Another issue with smoking...

Ser Scot A Ellison

11 hours ago, Nas! said:

Should I tell them how all of my heroes gave up or failed? Fuck Dr. Suess, kiddo, today we're reading Waiting for Godot.  That leaf? It is there to torment you, my child. Without the illusion of hope, there cannot be true despair.  

Dude, don't have children. Only a monster would choose Beckett over Suess.

19 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Um...  That is exactly why insurance exists.  To spread that risk among many people.  This is why you have actuaries and underwriters.

So, those who've done nothing risky, can only reduce their costs by walking up to those who are not so cautious and smack them upside the head?  But the real question is if food products that contain arsenic, may not be sold, by law, why are products with known carcinogens permitted to be sold?

5 minutes ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

So, those who've done nothing risky, can only reduce their costs by walking up to those who are not so cautious and smack them upside the head?  But the real question is if food products that contain arsenic, may not be sold, by law, why are products with known carcinogens permitted to be sold?

Cause 4 out of 5 Dentists recommend Viceroys for their patients who do smoke.

http://cbsnews2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2011/07/21/2d5a85f8-a644-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/resize/620x465/e54676c64e46da491dcd55747f6e0398/dentistreccomendedL.jpg

6 minutes ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

Virtually everyone has some risk factors.  That's sort of the point.

Sugar is proven to cause diabetes.  Alcohol causes any number of health problems..

So...  Where does the banning begin and end?

9 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Virtually everyone has some risk factors.  That's sort of the point.

Sugar is proven to cause diabetes.  Alcohol causes any number of health problems..

So...  Where does the banning begin and end?

If someone uses a product that says it is hazardous to your health, that goes beyond normal risks.

4 minutes ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

If someone uses a product that says it is hazardous to your health, that goes beyond normal risks.

Robin,

The problem is that once you exclude a group of people for "Behavior X" what happens when that group of people is denied healthcare?

On April 21, 2017 at 7:43 AM, litechick said:

I hope you support vaping.

I thought that statistically smokers and fat people don't cost more in health care because they die younger.  If we, as a society, want to be truly ruthless and self serving we should cheer on the self destructive types who live to work and pay into the system and then die promptly at retirement age and don't collect.

I've been pointing this out for years but noone is bothering to think it through. The largest sums are spent on that uber expensive "end of life" care. Healthy types that live longer draw more resources out of the pool over the long run, the unhealthy ones that pay in for years but die off just before or after retirement age  are not the major expense drivers. I thank them for their sacrifice.:D

As a smoker, I do consider this. That is why I smoke outdoors. It is not that hard to just smoke outdoors where you can at least get some sunshine. :P I don't have kids and don't want any but do live with some folks who used to smoke and sometimes I wonder if I'm tempting them to smoke again.

I started smoking 4 or 5 years ago and regret it all the time. I cannot run like I used to or cycle and am gaining weight because I don't want to exercise since I can't breath.

It is something that I regret.

My biggest issue with smokers is not the smell or the health issues but the strong correlation between smoking and littering. I am sure there are rare exceptions but in most cases people who smoke also litter by throwing their butts out car windows, dropping them on the sidewalk or leaving them wherever they happen to be when finishing their smoke. I view it as the last form of socially acceptable littering.

I do not know much about vaping but I notice a lot more smokers moving to this platform. I would like to see a move to 100% vaping in the future and a full elimination of paper wrapped cigarettes in the future. 

1 hour ago, zelticgar said:

My biggest issue with smokers is not the smell or the health issues but the strong correlation between smoking and littering. I am sure there are rare exceptions but in most cases people who smoke also litter by throwing their butts out car windows, dropping them on the sidewalk or leaving them wherever they happen to be when finishing their smoke. I view it as the last form of socially acceptable littering.

I do not know much about vaping but I notice a lot more smokers moving to this platform. I would like to see a move to 100% vaping in the future and a full elimination of paper wrapped cigarettes in the future. 

Zelticgar,

I remember a thread from about ten years ago where I complained about cigarette butts everywhere and quite a few smokers banded together complaining that if they had no ashtrays... what do you expect them to do?

I'd say the first 5 or so years I was a smoker I littered right along with the rest without a thought.  When someone pointed it out to me, I stopped doint it.  If there was no ashtray, I'd just put out the cigarette and put the butt in the wrapper from my cigarette pack until I could get to a trash can.  There's really no excuse for littering.  I've come to despise it in all forms as I've gotten older.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Zelticgar,

I remember a thread from about ten years ago where I complained about cigarette butts everywhere and quite a few smokers banded together complaining that if they had no ashtrays... what do you expect them to do?

I have a long commute and there is a section of the ride where I sit in bumper to bumper traffic for about 30 minutes. Almost everyday I spot a smoker flicking a butt out the window. Had a guy flick one in my yard while driving by last week, fully lit and he did not have a care in the world. 

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

I'd say the first 5 or so years I was a smoker I littered right along with the rest without a thought.  When someone pointed it out to me, I stopped doint it.  If there was no ashtray, I'd just put out the cigarette and put the butt in the wrapper from my cigarette pack until I could get to a trash can.  There's really no excuse for littering.  I've come to despise it in all forms as I've gotten older.

I've littered in my younger days as well. Glad someone pointed it out to you. I'm afraid to raise the issue to strangers because I never know how they would react. Plus I just prefer keeping my mouth shut and save my complaints for message boards :) . Glad you are aware though. I'm sure there is a population of smokers who do not litter but in my experience the vast majority don't care and will drop them wherever they feel like. 

Nas,

Hang in there buddy. I quit cigarettes 6 years ago. The first 2 years was tough. I started drinking more and gained 50 lbs. 

The reason I had quit was because my wife became pregnant. At the 2 year mark my new child was close to 18 months old and I was having a hard time keeping up. I went on a strict diet and cut out drinking. I dropped the weight and am able to better control my drinking again. (The drinking and weight gain are hand in hand, especially if you like dark liquors and beer.

Its not easy, but nothing worth doing is. Losing the weight was way easier than quitting smoking.  

Archived