Wouldn't it have been cool if...

Angel Eyes

Well, that's pretty obvious than Ned was totally caught-off at the moment. The show makes clear than Ned is disturbed by the light contrast between the black cells and the Sept, so we can assume that all of his senses were lagging there, lol. I think he didn't even realize what was happening until Payne drew his sword.

But yes, it could have been cool if Ned asked Joff to swing the sword. In my opinion, Joff would likely not do it, the coward much too fears the blood. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I kind of like how this scene was handled, being from a 3rd party point of view, witnessing a degraded Ned.  You just get these sense that he was disoriented being in the black cells and being driven half mad.  Then mustering strength to speak loudly while getting hit with rocks.  

So its well done that you kind of see him dying weakened and without his wits amongst a near riot for the most part.  Just kind of sudden and primal.

• 3 months later...

To cut one head in a single stroke requires a lot of strength and ability. Since it was Valyrian steel, Joffrey might have been able to lift Ice, but no more.

In Ned's position, you'd want you execution to be as swift and painless as possible. Having it done by Joffrey would ensure the opposite.

• 2 months later...

Archived