A step back and a look at "time" in ASOIAF on the grand scale.

24 minutes ago, LynnS said:

It's the only reason I'm reading this thread... I have to find out what's going to happen next.  I don't think a pile on will ruffle DM's feathers one bit.  The whole thing cracks me up.  Thanks DM!

And to think, Lynn, I was struggling to find the best way to put a smile on your face earlier...Fancy that it would be DM and Mac having a good go at each other that would finally do the trick  -- What a strange life we lead!  :)

1 hour ago, Macgregor of the North said:

It's been obvious for a long time you can't concede to a man for fear of shame and embarrassment but when it comes to a woman, you are like a giddy teenager...

Mac -- are you honestly suggesting that you think I have nothing else going for my argument (after my extensive studies in 'Branology', mastering with Evita as well...) than some virtual permutation of 'Cersei's secret weapon'?!  :devil:  That is a tad insulting to my intelligence.  I like to think it was my mystical aptitude to hear the unspoken voice together with my flair for poetry.  Come to think of it, had you had the inclination, you could just as well have quoted DM some poetry; that seems to soothe his rough edges almost as much as :whip: !!!

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I was going to add that if language was the only barrier he could just speak to a CTOF in the past in the true tongue and have them hand deliver a note to Ned then bran could just speak to himself and teach himself to be a greenseer in the winterfell godswood allowing him to be with his family. 

That's a point.  

I never thought of Hodor's speech pathway being damaged. It always seemed to me that he has a condition akin to autism that prevents his verbal communication and is responsible for is fear of loud noises a la the tower in the lake. 

It's unlikely that someone with autism with a one-word vocabulary wouldn't have more severe disability, particularly preventing comprehension and obedient execution of more complex commands (e.g. 'Hodor, pick up Bran, take him to his chamber, and put him to bed' is already complex).  Anyway, we're not here to debate fictional diagnoses; let's just agree Hodor's problem is likely located in the brain, rather than the other organs contributing towards the successful production of speech, e.g. voice box, tongue, facial muscles; so that potentially Bran might make use of these preserved peripheral speech organs (the brain is the central organ) while compensating for Hodor's brain injury.  

As to his aversion to lightning, I think it reminds him on a subconscious level of the traumatic event that caused his disability in the first place.  

Spoiler

Although, admittedly, I am probably irretrievably biased in this, after the HBO show's rendition of the time loop involved.  Apart from the show's influence on my thoughts in this respect, however, there is also plenty of symbolism associating Bran with fire and lightning strikes, e.g. Bran is represented by the broken sword in the Prologue that is compared to a lightning-struck tree branch, etc.

As for the rustling, I agree, it is telepathic, and I have always said that communication via weirwood is possible in realtime.

Sorry, I did not mean to give the wrong impression that the speech had been merely telepathically facilitated.  Let me rephrase:  Given that the tree's leaves move on a windless night, the implication is that Bran is the agent -- the greenseer 'possessing' the tree, if you will -- who caused the leaves to move and sound (i.e. the 'rustle' which embodies both of these components, namely movement and sound).  If Bran is accomplishing the communion with Theon purely via telepathy, there would be no need for the apparent telekinesis.  Why would he need to shake the leaves, if he can pronounce Theon's and his name without doing that?  The sound of the rustling might even get in the way of Theon accurately hearing the message, so it would be counterproductive to Bran's aim of reaching out to Theon and being clearly understood.

I will try to post more poetry snippets in your threads.  

I would enjoy that:

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

It's the only reason I'm reading this thread... I have to find out what's going to happen next.  I don't think a pile on will ruffle DM's feathers one bit.  The whole thing cracks me up.  Thanks DM!

You are quite welcome of course. Anything for a friend of my fellow poetry lover. 

54 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

And to think, Lynn, I was struggling to find the best way to put a smile on your face earlier...Fancy that it would be DM and Mac having a good go at each other that would finally do the trick  -- What a strange life we lead!  :)

I do what I can B)

It's unlikely that someone with autism with a one-word vocabulary wouldn't have more severe disability, particularly preventing comprehension and obedient execution of more complex commands (e.g. 'Hodor, pick up Bran, take him to his chamber, and put him to bed' is already complex).  Anyway, we're not here to debate fictional diagnoses; let's just agree Hodor's problem is likely located in the brain, rather than the other organs contributing towards the successful production of speech, e.g. voice box, tongue, facial muscles; so that potentially Bran might make use of these preserved peripheral speech organs (the brain is the central organ) while compensating for Hodor's brain injury.  

I mention Autism because I worked a conference on the treatment of folks on the spectrum. There were autistic kids that were all perfectly functional in all aspects of their lives, motor skills like  being able to dress themselves, climb to get a glass for a drink etc. but their big hurdle was communication. One subject was a girl who at 11 had only spoken to her parents 3 times. the first and the last were one word and the second was a complete sentence. This is not to diagnose Hodor or to insult anyone on the spectrum, just an observation about his behavior. 

As to his aversion to lightning, I think it reminds him on a subconscious level of the traumatic event that caused his disability in the first place. 

The thing we must not mention aside, I have never caught the broken sword reference. Thanks

Sorry, I did not mean to give the wrong impression that the speech had been merely telepathically facilitated.  Let me rephrase:  Given that the tree's leaves move on a windless night, the implication is that Bran is the agent -- the greenseer 'possessing' the tree, if you will -- who caused the leaves to move and sound (i.e. the 'rustle' which embodies both of these components, namely movement and sound).  If Bran is accomplishing the communion with Theon purely via telepathy, there would be no need for the apparent telekinesis.  Why would he need to shake the leaves, if he can pronounce Theon's and his name without doing that?  The sound of the rustling might even get in the way of Theon accurately hearing the message, so it would be counterproductive to Bran's aim of reaching out to Theon and being clearly understood.

I got what you meant. I always thought it was part telepathy, like the way the weirnet can enter your dreams and partly the sound of the greenseers voice  being expressed by the tree, hence the rustling. I must also reiterate that I believe this is only possible real time, lest my (not so) formidable opponent use it as yet another suggestion that you have softened me to the point where I am near defeat :D

thank you for the link 

13 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Repetition is not a god argument. If he heard something, why was his two reactions so different if bran is "speaking" to him. The answer is that he did not react at all. He is praying to his god, like how your response is your prayer to me

You said before that he heard nothing. You are sure on that assumption yes and your reasoning is that the reactions would be different? Is that honestly the tactic you're applying now?. No two reactions have to be the same in any situation, and rarely are. And that is the worst answer ever to back up your statement that Ned never heard anything. 

Lets focus on your two wrong statements. It's brilliant watching your defence crumble. Your too busy spouting off poetry, like a love struck boy talking to a girl for the first time that you are slipping. And I'm here to capitalise on that. Good work RR. 

You claim Ned heard nothing. And you also claim Ned was frowning while praying. Both clearly wrong. But your reasoning for this completely false statement is that "the reaction would be different the second time". 

So, you are on board that Bran whispering Winterfell the first time generated a noise at Neds point in time and that made him react and  turn to the tree to ask who's there, you agree on that reaction. Great, but you think that the reaction should be exactly the same the second time? Why? For a start, he is facing the tree with his head bowed and does not need to turn, so straight out the gate the reaction would be different. He is not turning but lifting his head. Your argument that the reactions just have to be the same must stop here because the set up is different and there is no turn to be made in the first place.

So, we must work with what we have. Neds head is bowed praying and he is facing the tree. A whole different lay out to the first vision. You mention above, "if Bran is speaking to him". Well, no, as the author clearly stated:

"Bran's voice was a whisper in the wind, a rustle in the leaves."

So, he's not speaking to him clearly like you would speak to your mum and ask if you can stay on the laptop a little longer because your googling poetry. Brans voice is a whisper in the wind and a rustle in the leaves where Ned is praying. Unless Ned is stone deaf, Ned hears this yeah?. You claim point blank that Ned heard nothing. Let's see if you still stick to that. 

Ok so Bran tries to speak to his father but his voice is caught up in amongst the wind and leaves and sounds like what the true tongue can sound like, a whispery sound in the wind and rustling leaves. Ned has been praying with head bowed, with absolutely no indication that he was frowning while praying like you claim, and as he gets to the point of saying forgive... he is stopped and looks up at the tree to frown for a long time.

At this stage do you still believe Ned hears nothing?. Do you still think he has been frowning while praying?. Will you come back and adjust your statements maybe to say that Ned was praying and then looked up to frown at the tree. Will you come back to us and still say that Ned heard nothing, even though the author confirms that there was the exact same noise happening the second time that happened the first time. And contrary to what you may think, the reactions do not have to be the same because the first time the noise comes from behind Ned, and this one comes from in front of him. No matter which way you look at it, the reactions will be different. 

It really is astonishing though that you claim Ned heard nothing the second time after it's spelled out for us the same noise as the first time is in play. That's past stubborn DM, that's flat out denial. But you can't deny what's in the books I'm afraid, no matter how much times you try. 

Ned heard those noises and then looked up at the tree to frown for a long time. To deny that and say Ned never heard anything will only serve to make you look bitter and foolish.

Sigh... let's turn to Melisandre. My assertion that Melisandre is looking at a glimpse of the future is based on the fact that there are instances in these books where information from the future has been accessed, be it through the flames or Targ dreams or Greendreams. That is a very real thing in this story. It can also effect the present time, do you deny this?. 

Mel can access this time in the flames and even though she can't interpret it correctly every time in regards to what it means there is no doubt she has the gift to tell between things that have happened and things that are to happen. She is mistaken in interpreting who she sees but she is not mistaken in where the vision comes from. 

On top of all that. Melisandre tells us that the vision has not happened yet, but will happen:

"A girl in grey on a dying horse, I have seen it plain as day. It has not happened yet, but it will."

Altogether, more evidence than you have produced DM. What can you conjure up to show that Mel can't see the future in the flames and that this vision was in real time?. Give it a bash and actually turn to the books to back up your big claims. 

And save your nonsense about it not being Arya. That means nothing. The information is from the future and regardless of who it is, it made Mel go to Jon, it made Jon believe it was Arya, and it made Jon send Mance and the spearwives. 

So DM. Balls in your court son. 

Using the books as I've asked you a few times now, prove you're assertions that: 

Ned heard nothing the second time.

Ned was frowning while praying the second time. 

Mel saw the girl in grey on the horse in real time. 

If you can't, just say you can't, and I'll take the result, and the glory.

7 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Mac -- are you honestly suggesting that you think I have nothing else going for my argument (after my extensive studies in 'Branology', mastering with Evita as well...) than some virtual permutation of 'Cersei's secret weapon'?!  :devil:  That is a tad insulting to my intelligence.  I like to think it was my mystical aptitude to hear the unspoken voice

Nah, your Bran views are tip top and have my respect. I simply mean what I said. DM will never admit any of these beliefs or possibilities directly to me, but if he does to you, then it's a result all the same. 

He could never admit defeat to a man (it's a guy thing), but a woman... well, you have shown that he's already opening up. He may well break down in tears soon and confess he agreed with us all along if you would only recite one more poem for him before his mum tells him he has been on the laptop too long and it's time for his bed.

@ravenous reader Was having a skim through the app. Although its classed as semi canon blah blah blah, its still something GRRM contributed a lot to and Elio and Linda created with GRRMs blessing and help so it may be worth looking at and adding to the mix. On the matter of Bran seeing Ned the second time it says:

"Bran begins to have more visions of the past. He sees his father, younger still, praying that his sons will grow up as brothers should and that his wife will forgive him. Bran tries to speak to him, but his father hears it only as a whisper on the wind." 

So the app is pretty clear it is Bran that caused the noise Ned hears, he simply does not hear all Bran says clearly. Worth submitting as evidence. If Ned heard nothing like our genius claims, or if Bran wasn't the cause of Ned reacting then I am sure this would have stated it as such.

On top of the fact that GRRM distinctly says that "Brans voice was a whisper on the wind and a rustle in the leaves" in the book, it is certainly looking like your stunning claim that Ned heard nothing is needing revised @Dorian Martell's son.

Once you have admitted Ned heard the noise, we will then look at getting you to open up to the idea that Bran caused the noise. We will get you there. Believe that.

13 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I must also reiterate that I believe this is only possible real time

Explain yourself. Time, never mind "real time" is not a concept the Weirwood tree network understands. Past present and future are one to the tree so it is simply Ned sitting cleaning Ice, or Ned praying, or Theon babbling on his knees like you with a poetry quote. 

The Weirwood tree sees all time as one. It does not differentiate. A thousand human years is a moment to a Weirwood tree. Now that Bran is wed to the trees he can merge his consciousness with this strange magical network and gateway and he then "becomes" the tree, as per his words. Bran now then operates under the trees limitations and views all time as one. Bran then is not abiding by the rules of time and the concept of "time" goes out the window. He sees all. But the limitations of the tree extend to communication so Bran can not hold full conversations with the people he sees, but he can capture their attention and prompt a reaction. It does not matter though that we view it as the past, or Bran views it as the past back in his own skin, this reaction and it's cause are set in stone in "time". 

So if the past present and future are all one and the same to the tree then the future where Bran is wed to the trees is as real as the "past" or "present" yes? So him causing Ned to turn, or looking up and frown in both of Neds "present times" is already set in stone as the cause yes?. 

And while your at it, let's hear your own personal view on the tree viewing the past present and future as one. Certainly seems like the future is a very real thing where glimpses of it can be accessed yes?.

It is said the Greenseers can delve into the past and see far into the future. 

You don't believe there is a future out there in this story though do ya? Only the present yes?, nothing at all out there that can be glimpsed no?. 

5 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

@ravenous reader Was having a skim through the app. Although its classed as semi canon blah blah blah, its still something GRRM contributed a lot to and Elio and Linda created with GRRMs blessing and help so it may be worth looking at and adding to the mix. On the matter of Bran seeing Ned the second time it says:

"Bran begins to have more visions of the past. He sees his father, younger still, praying that his sons will grow up as brothers should and that his wife will forgive him. Bran tries to speak to him, but his father hears it only as a whisper on the wind." 

So the app is pretty clear it is Bran that caused the noise Ned hears, he simply does not hear all Bran says clearly. Worth submitting as evidence. If Ned heard nothing like our genius claims, or if Bran wasn't the cause of Ned reacting then I am sure this would have stated it as such.

On top of the fact that GRRM distinctly says that "Brans voice was a whisper on the wind and a rustle in the leaves" in the book, it is certainly looking like your stunning claim that Ned heard nothing is needing revised @Dorian Martell's son.

Once you have admitted Ned heard the noise, we will then look at getting you to open up to the idea that Bran caused the noise. We will get you there. Believe that.

I will look into the ap when I see fit to do so. thank you for the information. I hope you enjoyed giving it to me. It seems like your thing  

3 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Explain yourself.

No.
In fact, I did, numerous times, over at least three, possibly more threads. your lack of an ability to use the search function is not my problem. That could be why you keep losing this "Battle" despite how many times you claim "defeat."  So until you can demonstrate conclusively your knowledge and ability to use the search and quote function in this forum, you can just consider yourself defeated. Now pray to your god that I do not smite you even more than you have already been smoten!

Exactly the responses I expected @Dorian Martell's son. You can not counter any of my points at all (not one lol) and have decided to back down completely. It's a complete walk over from me. You have visibly given up, because you can't reply. You have nothing left. 

Quite frankly son, you were just destroyed. Any reply you make must contain a counter using the books or you will only succeed in making an even bigger imbecile of yourself than you already have. 

Now, excuse me while my horse tramples over your crumpled frame and I do my victory lap to rapturous applause from the commons, and I wheel my horse in the direction of @ravenous reader... but I saunter past her, to lay a bowl of hot red peppers on Arianne Martells lap and lay one on her fine ass lips crowning her the QOLAB.

I hope she's no relation of yours, because she's mine now. 

Victory is sweet! 

1 minute ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Exactly the responses I expected @Dorian Martell's son. You can not counter any of my points at all (not one lol) and have decided to back down completely. It's a complete walk over from me. You have visibly given up, because you can't reply. You have nothing left. 

Quite frankly son, you were just destroyed. Any reply you make must contain a counter using the books or you will only succeed in making an even bigger imbecile of yourself than you already have. 

Now, excuse me while my horse tramples over your crumpled frame and I do my victory lap to rapturous applause from the commons, and I wheel my horse in the direction of @ravenous reader... but I saunter past her, to lay a bowl of hot red peppers on Arianne Martells lap and lay one on her fine ass lips crowning her the QOLAB.

I hope she's no relation of yours, because she's mine now. 

Victory is sweet! 

I shouldn't even respond without your proof of being able to use the search function but this is too good to pass up.
Why would you even bring another forum user into this? She agrees with you dude. First you insult her intelligence, and now you need to use her in a petty squabble?  Your lack of maturity is spectacular. Being a teenage parent must be rough. 
And if you want to do something "adult" with Arianne  and hot peppers, well, that's your fantasy, and really who am I to judge a grown man who fantasizes about fictional book characters and chilis

8 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I shouldn't even respond without your proof of being able to use the search function but this is too good to pass up.
Why would you even bring another forum user into this? She agrees with you dude. First you insult her intelligence, and now you need to use her in a petty squabble?  Your lack of maturity is spectacular. Being a teenage parent must be rough. 
And if you want to do something "adult" with Arianne  and hot peppers, well, that's your fantasy, and really who am I to judge a grown man who fantasizes about fictional book characters and chilis

Hahahaha you have lost your bite it seems DM, what happened to the super sharp big shot snarky witty DM?. 

Like I said, the fact you keep showing up in my notifications without actually even bringing up a counter to my valid points shows how obsessed you are and only highlights your sad descent from witty class/Forum clown to sad stalker. 

DM, if you have nothing to say on the books points, you are done. Finished son. Retire and lick your wounds. I see you are already commenting on two other threads, I wish you better luck there. Because here, you have been completely obliterated. 

And keep the insults about parenting coming (very mature), they only strengthen my point.

2 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Hahahaha you have lost your bite it seems DM, what happened to the super sharp big shot snarky witty DM?. 

You didn't like my haiku? Now I'm sad. :( I wrote it just for you.........

3 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Like I said, the fact you keep showing up in my notifications without actually even bringing up a counter to my valid points shows how obsessed you are and only highlights your sad descent from witty class/Forum clown to sad stalker. 

Says the guy who mentioned me no less than 7 times when I wouldn't reply earlier. you can't have it both ways. Now go learn the use the search function. You shouldn't reply if you haven't figured it out yet, but you need me and our back and forth, so I bet you will reply anyway. Remember, every reply means I win. 

5 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

DM, if you have nothing to say on the books points, you are done. Finished son. Retire and lick your wounds. I see you are already commenting on two other threads, I wish you better luck there. Because here, you have been completely obliterated. 

you keep using words like that. I don't think the word means what you think it means. 

6 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

And keep the insults about parenting coming (very mature), they only strengthen my point.

Now YOU want to talk about maturity? That's a good one.  Also, kudos you you for the correct use of "your." I didn't even have to correct you this time

10 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

You didn't like my haiku? Now I'm sad. :( I wrote it just for you.........

Says the guy who mentioned me no less than 7 times when I wouldn't reply earlier. you can't have it both ways. Now go learn the use the search function. You shouldn't reply if you haven't figured it out yet, but you need me and our back and forth, so I bet you will reply anyway. Remember, every reply means I win. 

you keep using words like that. I don't think the word means what you think it means. 

Now YOU want to talk about maturity? That's a good one.  Also, kudos you you for the correct use of "your." I didn't even have to correct you this time

Hahaha, this is my thread. I belong here discussing the books. It's my spot where I have opened up for people to come and discuss a brilliant topic. I'm not out of place here. But you are.

You are here for me. If you are not then leave. Why keep coming back to me?. I'm afraid you have it twisted son, everytime you reply, I win. 

Although the decisive blow was made some time back lol.

2 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Hahaha, this is my thread. I belong here discussing the books. It's my spot where I have opened up for people to come and discuss a brilliant topic. I'm not out of place here. But you are.

Not at all. It is public, you may have started it, but all the times you tagged and quoted me just means you wanted to give me most of it. you aren't fooling me. Try as you may to hide your love of me, it is impossible

You are here for me.

correct, your incessant quoting, tagging and mentioning me is all you young man. I would have left you alone, but you cannot be with out the love of your god

If you are not then leave. Why keep coming back to me?

I actually tried to give this up, but again your incessant quoting mentioning me keeps bring me back, like the last reply. All that quoting is not the deeds of a man who needs to be left alone. 

I'm afraid you have it twisted son, everytime you reply, I win. 

you fail to argue a point, so you insult. I can do both better that you (I am smarter, more experienced at life in the real world, a better understanding of the novels etc) so you feel threatened and cry to the moderators. You think I am gone, and you talk even more trash, but I was here all along. Now, after all else has failed, you are REPEATING things I have already written earlier in the thread! :rofl:
This is too good! :D I mean, people are reading this thread to watch you get schooled! 

Although the decisive blow was made some time back lol.

Yes, that was when I referred to myself as your god and you agreed with me! 
So, what thing that I have already written are you going to repeat to me now?
I'm waiting ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Not to jump in the middle of the pissing war, but I've just remembered something that further bolsters the notion of timeless realms: the dragon skulls. 

They are described in multiple occasions as seeming to watch people, just like the weirwoods. Knowing where that hint led with the weirwoods, Is it reasonable to look in the same direction with the dragon skulls? 

We also know that a dragon rider has a special bond, like the greenseer does with the weirwoods, so maybe there are other similarities. This helps pave the way for interpreting "in the flames" as equivalent to the weirnet, and explains how the Targ prophets get their visions. I've already postulated this of course, but not with evidence connecting the Targaryens to the realm of prophecy.

Actually if more posters responded to the original post it would be interesting. “Royal is my Race” runs outta steam when supporting her ideas and results to personal attacks. Been there done that. Even when a person tries to extract them self from the multitude of questions with class and grace she keeps going like the Energizer bunny.

That is the original post.

She actually invited @Dorian Martell's son to thread.

If I go back to original post and read the eight pages what I come away with is ...............................................................

2 hours ago, cgrav said:

Not to jump in the middle of the pissing war, but I've just remembered something that further bolsters the notion of timeless realms: the dragon skulls. 

They are described in multiple occasions as seeming to watch people, just like the weirwoods. Knowing where that hint led with the weirwoods, Is it reasonable to look in the same direction with the dragon skulls? 

We also know that a dragon rider has a special bond, like the greenseer does with the weirwoods, so maybe there are other similarities. This helps pave the way for interpreting "in the flames" as equivalent to the weirnet, and explains how the Targ prophets get their visions. I've already postulated this of course, but not with evidence connecting the Targaryens to the realm of prophecy.

I have always assumed the "dragon skull watching"  to be a literary device to convey fear and awe. If this is  a thing, would a dragon bow be able to see as it shot an arrow or is a skull thing? 

13 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

She actually invited @Dorian Martell's son to thread.

If I go back to original post and read the eight pages what I come away with is ...............................................................

I go where I am desired and loved, even when folks have a poor ability to express that properly 

6 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I go where I am desired and loved, even when folks have a poor ability to express that properly 

Well now I dunna know bout dat.

If I go back to the original post you taint in it. Seems to me majority of posters aren't interested in the op.

10 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I have always assumed the "dragon skull watching"  to be a literary device to convey fear and awe. If this is  a thing, would a dragon bow be able to see as it shot an arrow or is a skull thing? 

The point of continuity between the skulls and Weirwood would be the face/eyes, so I'd think ability to "see" is the key. 

Interstingly, we also have a past example of a dragon being killed by a Weirwood arrow to the eye.

Archived