Iron Mother

What is your all-time favorite chacter in GOT (book or TV)?

21 posts in this topic

Bran and Arya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Bran and Arya

Odd choice, why is that?

Mine would be..hmm..either Jon Snow or Tywin Lannister.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Nocturne said:

Odd choice, why is that?

Mine would be..hmm..either Jon Snow or Tywin Lannister.

Because his journey and circumstances are probably the hardest ones compared to other main characters, while he is still a dreamer.......And because he is gOnna be the main protagonist of the story while not being clearly "main" to everyone...

And I love him!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one person lol

maybe with an explanation why you feel that way :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Because his journey and circumstances are probably the hardest ones compared to other main characters, while he is still a dreamer.......And because he is gOnna be the main protagonist of the story while not being clearly "main" to everyone...

And I love him!!!

Good stuff.

The part you wrote about Bran being the "main protagonist" is very interesting since, in a sense, I have a very similar view.

One thing that makes GOT/ASOIAF so great is that there is no single obvious protagonist, but I do believe there is a "single most important character," and I do believe it is Bran Stark.   When the WW/Others are defeated, I believe he will be the key, without which the Forces of LIfe would clearly have lost.

The "central character" (my words), though, is Tyrion.  He knows more people and connects more people than anyone else.

 

But my "favorite" character?  Wow. So hard to say. So hard. Jaime, Arya, and Brienne all rank very high, though.  If I HAD to pick one, it would surely be one of those three.  Probably Jaime, since that's the name my subconscious mind spit out first, apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cron said:

Good stuff.

The part you wrote about Bran being the "main protagonist" is very interesting since, in a sense, I have a very similar view.

One thing that makes GOT/ASOIAF so great is that there is no single obvious protagonist, but I do believe there is a "single most important character," and I do believe it is Bran Stark.   When the WW/Others are defeated, I believe he will be the key, without which the Forces of LIfe would clearly have lost.

The "central character" (my words), though, is Tyrion.  He knows more people and connects more people than anyone else.

 

But my "favorite" character?  Wow. So hard to say. So hard. Jaime, Arya, and Brienne all rank very high, though.  If I HAD to pick one, it would surely be one of those three.  Probably Jaime, since that's the name my subconscious mind spit out first, apparently.

Yes, I agree with this. And Bran is the ultimate hero of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stannis - the one true king of Westeros.  Stannis stands for justice, doesn't give a damn about whether you were lowborn or highborn as long as you are of good character, gives a shit about the smallfolk, understands and fulfills his duty, and is a certified bad ass after holding Storms End, crushing Balon's rebellion, and saving the NW.  If you had a composite of his best book and show qualities I think he would get a lot more love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oberyn Martell is on par with Rhaegar Targaryen.  I would have chosen Rhaegar but he doesn't appear in the show or the books except through 3rd person.  The only difference (which makes Oberyn even better) Oberyn cares NOT about what anyone thinks of his sexuality and fathers bastards from all over the world - only to collect them, bring them to Dorne and instruct them in all things Oberyn. 

He's a great warrior who explored the world and fought with different Companies, he writes poetry, milks vipers, studied at the Citadel and acquired links for a chain.  He's incredibly diverse, cunning, witty, intelligent and he tells it like it is (he explained to Tyrion what Tyrion was REALLY like when born - as opposed to the bilge Cercei has been telling for years).  During the fight, he looks Tywin right in his face while addressing the Mountain about who ordered him to kill Elia and the children. 

He fears nothing.  Not only would he not care if someone spoke ill of his bi-sexuality but I bet most men wouldn't even bother to say it because he's a rough MF whom they know could put them down right quick.  He makes bi-sexuality cool almost.  That's hard to do in Westeros, since the endless jokes about Renly never stopped and he was in the running for KING.  Loras was a warrior too but he himself said "everyone knows anyway" and they made endless jokes at his expense.

Rhaegar - from the alternate views of others - is very similar.  Very diverse, a warrior, a creative soul - and Oberyn while whored the world, Rhaegar lived in the spirit of that by choosing Lyanna and possibly marrying her in the Old God tradition (don't scream at me, it's a theory that has been around for a while and makes sense) and fathered her child.  Meaning, he did whatever the F he wanted.  And the whole "singing to the sparrows" and giving away the money, it's the same spirit of IDGAF.

In the book chapter "The Watcher" Tyene Sand (one of the sand snakes) is going to be sent to the Sept (her mother was a Septa and taught her their ways) to spy from there while Nymeria (the blood of Old Volantis) is being sent to the Small Council.... both as a part of Prince Doran's plan to take down the Lannisters.  And Obara is being sent to kind Darkstar to kill him for harming Myrcella to cover up their lie (due to Arianne's errant plan). 

These women are quick, smart and dangerous as hell because their father, Oberyn, taught them his ways.  So even in death, The Red Viper lives on ;)

That's a legacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 2:05 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, I agree with this. And Bran is the ultimate hero of the story.

Bran will provide mystical knowledge that will help overcome the ultimate threat to all people in westeros.  Having said that, do you see the mega possibilities of Sam in the Citadel?  Learning all kinds of needed knowledge that will (like Bran) be heroic in a way that isn't the fighter himself but searches for and finds knowledge that is not mystical (or may be) but in a different way than Bran.

I had not thought of that until a re-watch and FINALLY my brain latched onto why the Sam story has gone on so far when at times I thought it should die. 

There will be multiple heroes on different levels I think.

I guess I made this thread for people to say who was their favorite character in the series...as in maybe to whom they related to that much or admired.  I could easily choose Arya because of her personal journey ALONE growing from a very young girl to a woman through many, many trials and tribulations.  Like, to me it wouldn't matter if she turns out on the "darkside" or whatever.  It's her character's journey and what led her to where and who she is in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stannis. He is just such a unique character and I love reading about him. I always look forward to Davos chapters because of him. It is a pity the TV show got him conpletely wrong IMO. It's my only major complaint with the show.

Honorary mentions go to Littlefinger and Sansa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Dany best followed by Jon and Tyrion. Also Varys is a fan favorite of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

Bran will provide mystical knowledge that will help overcome the ultimate threat to all people in westeros.  Having said that, do you see the mega possibilities of Sam in the Citadel?  Learning all kinds of needed knowledge that will (like Bran) be heroic in a way that isn't the fighter himself but searches for and finds knowledge that is not mystical (or may be) but in a different way than Bran.

I had not thought of that until a re-watch and FINALLY my brain latched onto why the Sam story has gone on so far when at times I thought it should die. 

There will be multiple heroes on different levels I think.

I guess I made this thread for people to say who was their favorite character in the series...as in maybe to whom they related to that much or admired.  I could easily choose Arya because of her personal journey ALONE growing from a very young girl to a woman through many, many trials and tribulations.  Like, to me it wouldn't matter if she turns out on the "darkside" or whatever.  It's her character's journey and what led her to where and who she is in the present.

Yes,Sam's story is another one I think has a lot of possibilities, and in fact, he is also one of my favoruite characters as well.

It's hard to say who is my fav character, I said Bran and Arya because I think that at this point, are the ones I care more about, but I have quite a lot of favourites. One of the things of these books/show is that there are lots of characters and stories and it's easy to like many of them.

I also hope there are various heroes!

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 5:05 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, I agree with this. And Bran is the ultimate hero of the story.

Yeah, it seems clear that Bran is pivotal.

His powers are going to reveal the key to defeating the Forces of Death, n my strong opinion.

I also like the fact that he is one of the most "pure good" characters.  Part of the reason ASOIAF/GOT is so great is cuz so many characters are morally ambivalent, but not Bran.  He seems to be one of the most "pure good" characters there is, which is a great contrast with nearly every other character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:33 PM, Cron said:

Yeah, it seems clear that Bran is pivotal.

His powers are going to reveal the key to defeating the Forces of Death, n my strong opinion.

I also like the fact that he is one of the most "pure good" characters.  Part of the reason ASOIAF/GOT is so great is cuz so many characters are morally ambivalent, but not Bran.  He seems to be one of the most "pure good" characters there is, which is a great contrast with nearly every other character.

oh yes! He is so good-hearted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.