What is your all-time favorite chacter in GOT (book or TV)?

Iron Mother

Petyr Baelish.  Because I always like the smartest asshole in the room, bonus points for snappy dressing and a good hand with a blade. (Throwing a knife accurately to stick in the door with a practised flick of his wrist, much harder than it sounds.)  Just enough woobie backstory, and a really delicious vein of dark sarcasm.  He's twisty, devious and ruthless, but Planetos is a crapsack world, nice and honourable gets your head on a stick.  I can live with moral ambiguity, as long as there is snark and smarts.

(New reader, still on bk 1, though spoiled by clips from show.)

12 hours ago, SeaWitch said:

Petyr Baelish.  Because I always like the smartest asshole in the room, bonus points for snappy dressing and a good hand with a blade. (Throwing a knife accurately to stick in the door with a practised flick of his wrist, much harder than it sounds.)  Just enough woobie backstory, and a really delicious vein of dark sarcasm.  He's twisty, devious and ruthless, but Planetos is a crapsack world, nice and honourable gets your head on a stick.  I can live with moral ambiguity, as long as there is snark and smarts.

(New reader, still on bk 1, though spoiled by clips from show.)

YAY to that most eloquent post.  I wont spoil you since you are on book 1... but I have a feeling the Littlefinger of the book will meet all those expectations and more.  My feeling is his role will be played down on the show due to lack of time and unforgivable changes to other awesome characters :mellow:

btw, I too love a character who is almost a complete mystery while being a MAJOR player at the same time.

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 0:16 AM, Iron Mother said:

Mine is Oberyn Martell

I think the most masterfully crafted character (books and show) is Jaime, but I hate to call him my "favorite" cuz he's done some REALLY bad stuff (especially in the show, even worse than the books)

I'm a HUGE fan of Lyanna Mormont in the show.  I think she's very likely the most intelligent character in the entire series, and I think that's really cool.  When she's in a room, she owns it, even when she's with people FAR older and more experienced than her.

Brienne ranks really high, too, cuz of her pure nobility, and her classic "questing knight" story arcs.

Archived