What do you think was the most and the least moral act committed in the series and why?

13 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I'm curious to see where other people's ethics lie.

From our 21st century notions of morality or those of the people living in Westeros?

3 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Most Moral Act:  Daenerys Targaryen working to end slavery.

Least Moral Act:  Jon Arryn calling his banners to rebel.  He caused the deaths of many people just to protect Robert and Eddard. 

Haven't a lot more people died in Dany's attempt to end slavery than ever did in Robert's Rebellion?

34 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

Haven't a lot more people died in Dany's attempt to end slavery than ever did in Robert's Rebellion?

I think more people died in Robert's rebellion.  Large scale battle kills many in a short amount of time.  The War to End Slavery has its casualties but some of it is due to guerilla tactics that kill a few at a time.  As far as casualties, most of the dead are the people who support slavery.  

The trouble at Slaver's Bay is completely the fault of the masters because they don't want to free their slaves.  It is their refusal to do the moral thing that is causing the fighting.  If they had simply complied and freed their slaves, there would have been little trouble.  Instead they chose to fight.  Even now, the Harpy (their version of the Ku Klux Klan) is using terror tactics and murder in their efforts to bring back slavery.

11 minutes ago, Lame Lothar Frey said:

I think more people died in Robert's rebellion.  Large scale battle kills many in a short amount of time.  The War to End Slavery has its casualties but some of it is due to guerilla tactics that kill a few at a time.  As far as casualties, most of the dead are the people who support slavery.  

The trouble at Slaver's Bay is completely the fault of the masters because they don't want to free their slaves.  It is their refusal to do the moral thing that is causing the fighting.  If they had simply complied and freed their slaves, there would have been little trouble.  Instead they chose to fight.  Even now, the Harpy (their version of the Ku Klux Klan) is using terror tactics and murder in their efforts to bring back slavery.

Well I was referring to the consquences of the freeing the slaves. Yes it was mostly masters at first, up the uprising in Astaphor, the war between Yunkai and Astaphor, and currently all the former slaves dying outside Mereen. Soon the war for Mereen, not the mention the wholescale collapse of the economy of Slaver's Bay and its impact to Essos as a whole. A lot more people have died and will die because of her actions is all I am saying.

7 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Actually I change my mind, least moral act is anything Varamyr Sixskins did, especially warging into another human and sending his shadowcat to coerce women into sleeping with him or being killed.

I came to say just this.

Most moral:  Ned protecting Jon Snow's identity to not only save Jon from Robert, but also to keep peace within the Realm.  Without Rhaegar's heir to rally around, most of the loyalists bent the knee once the Mad King was killed.

Least moral:  The treatment of fArya by Ramsay.  Just brutal.

I agree with @Canon Claude that the most moral act is Jon Snow allowing the free folk to come south of the Wall, especially when winter is starting and there won't be much chance to obtain or grow more food for them.

And I sort of agree with @Lame Lothar Frey that Ramsay's treatment of Theon is the least moral act. I see Ramsay's treatment of Theon as a micro version of the training regimen for the Unsullied, with the castration, killing of pet dogs and of infant slaves, etc. The training of the Unsullied is my top pick for least moral act.

I abhor any sort of violence, so any violent act, from the Mountain war crimes and general nastiness to Robb deciding to go to war because of the murder of his father, are equally immoral to my eyes.

Not necessarily the most moral, but one I am surprised no one mentioned is Dany marrying Hizhar. Sacrificing your own desires in order to secure a peace and the freedom of other people counts really high in my list.

Most moral: Probably the Faith and the Sparrow movement organizing mass efforts to protect the smallfolk who had been murdered and raped en masse by the nobility by that point in the books.

Least moral: No clue, probably generally the Ghiscari slavers' treatment of their slaves.

15 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Well I was referring to the consquences of the freeing the slaves. Yes it was mostly masters at first, up the uprising in Astaphor, the war between Yunkai and Astaphor, and currently all the former slaves dying outside Mereen. Soon the war for Mereen, not the mention the wholescale collapse of the economy of Slaver's Bay and its impact to Essos as a whole. A lot more people have died and will die because of her actions is all I am saying.

Lot less than the ones who die because of slave trade. Still an achievement I would say. Thank god Astapor the blot on humanity is destroyed.

It's more interesting if you're talking about morality as an ethical question rather than the basic infantile answers of "violence and rape is bad". I'm trying to think up some more social or political manoeuvres that lacked integrity...

Least: Littlefinger comes to mind, with the way he used Lysa utterly without concern for her feelings and well-being just to get at a younger, prettier girl (Sansa)

Most: Ned's noble (even if miserable) attempt to negotiate the revelation that Robert's children were bastards in a way that would spare the lives of those children (warning Cersei to flee)

Does anybody else have social or political examples of morality rather than focusing on violence and rape and so on? I'd like to hear

Most Moral:  To cite one not mentioned thus far, Brienne defending the Crossroads Inn orphans against Rorge et al., living up to her own earlier insistence that old Ser Quincy Cox should have tried to defend Saltpans even if it had come at the cost of his own life, because that's what knights do.

Least Moral:  Quite a competition for this one, but again, to offer up a novel suggestion:  Cersei handing 11-hear-old Jeyne Poole over to a life of forced prostitution because, LOL, why not?  This is peak Cersei, as it's not even done in furtherance of any agenda -- she could do literally anything else with Jeyne, but can't be bothered to shown even the slightest human consideration for this irrelevant little girl.

Archived