In a Grove of Ash (Azor Ahai Goes into the Weirwoodnet)

LmL

Hey there friends! This here is Weirwood Compendium 4, and the topic is Azor Ahai entering the weirwoodnet. I've been beating around the burning bush in regards to a connection between Azor Ahai and those moon meteors and the burning tree symbol which is tied to the weirwoods - this connection is implied in the Ironborn legend of the Storm God's thunderbolt setting fire to a tree, which then conveyed the fire of the gods to mankind. The weirwood leaves look like "a blaze of flame," and they certainly convey the fire or knowledge of the gods to man, that's the basic idea. The thunderbolt, I believe, represents a moon meteor strike, so how did it 'set fire' to the weirwoods? I think we have the answer. This has to do with the identity of the Old Gods, the question of who are the faces in the heart trees? and other such related stuff.

It begins with a comparison between the wedding of the greenseer and the weirwood to the basic formula of making Lightbringer - the conjunction of sun and moon. Dany's alchemical wedding in Drogo's pyre has parallels to Bran's marriage to the tree. Both are a kind of magical wedding, and both produce an ASOIAF symbol of the fire of the gods.

This is some of the strongest symbolism I've come across, so I hope you all enjoy! I look forward to your responses once you work your way through it, and as always you can listen to this as a podcast as well. Feel free to comment before you finish as well, it's all good.

https://lucifermeanslightbringer.com/2017/04/20/in-a-grove-of-ash/ 

2 hours ago, LmL said:

Hey there friends! This here is Weirwood Compendium 4, and the topic is Azor Ahai entering the weirwoodnet. I've been beating around the burning bush in regards to a connection between Azor Ahai and those moon meteors and the burning tree symbol which is tied to the weirwoods - this connection is implied in the Ironborn legend of the Storm God's thunderbolt setting fire to a tree, which then conveyed the fire of the gods to mankind. The weirwood leaves look like "a blaze of flame," and they certainly convey the fire or knowledge of the gods to man, that's the basic idea. The thunderbolt, I believe, represents a moon meteor strike, so how did it 'set fire' to the weirwoods? I think we have the answer. This has to do with the identity of the Old Gods, the question of who are the faces in the heart trees? and other such related stuff.

It begins with a comparison between the wedding of the greenseer and the weirwood to the basic formula of making Lightbringer - the conjunction of sun and moon. Dany's alchemical wedding in Drogo's pyre has parallels to Bran's marriage to the tree. Both are a kind of magical wedding, and both produce an ASOIAF symbol of the fire of the gods.

This is some of the strongest symbolism I've come across, so I hope you all enjoy! I look forward to your responses once you work your way through it, and as always you can listen to this as a podcast as well. Feel free to comment before you finish as well, it's all good.

https://lucifermeanslightbringer.com/2017/04/20/in-a-grove-of-ash/ 

Good! It's a very interesting topic....weirwoods :wub:

I'm afraid I missed your last podcast, can I follow it without the others?

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Good! It's a very interesting topic....weirwoods :wub:

I'm afraid I missed your last podcast, can I follow it without the others?

Hey I am just grateful for your eyeballs, you can do whatever you want!

It is really better to read this series in order though. The last one, Garth of the Gallows, and this one originally were part of the same essay, so they are kind of sequential. You've read A Burning Brandon and Grey King and the Sea Dragon right?

18 minutes ago, LmL said:

Hey I am just grateful for your eyeballs, you can do whatever you want!

It is really better to read this series in order though. The last one, Garth of the Gallows, and this one originally were part of the same essay, so they are kind of sequential. You've read A Burning Brandon and Grey King and the Sea Dragon right?

Yep, just seen the Garth one is the third right? (and comes before this, then) https://www.blubrry.com/mythicalastronomy/

I should start with that firstly in that case.

30 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yep, just seen the Garth one is the third right? (and comes before this, then) https://www.blubrry.com/mythicalastronomy/

I should start with that firstly in that case.

..but feel free to comment here on whatever you want, because it will still be relevant. It's related to Yggdraisl and greenseers and the intersection of AA / dragons / fire magic and weirwoods. :)

28 minutes ago, LmL said:

..but feel free to comment here on whatever you want, because it will still be relevant. It's related to Yggdraisl and greenseers and the intersection of AA / dragons / fire magic and weirwoods. :)

Thanks! Your podcasts are so well-done!

1 minute ago, Durran Durrandon said:

Damn it. I am trying to finish S-Town right now.

Too bad, it's 4:20 and I wrote an essay about burning trees, you HAVE to read it, because synergy. :)

17 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

Thanks as always. I will listen to this while I finish my chemistry homework tonight.

What??? While you finish your chemistry homework? Come on now, you won't do the chemistry of the mythical astronomy justice if you do that. I know your brain is on another level, but still...

11 minutes ago, LmL said:

What??? While you finish your chemistry homework? Come on now, you won't do the chemistry of the mythical astronomy justice if you do that. I know your brain is on another level, but still...

Lol!!! It's mindless busy work at best and tideous at worse. It helps to keep me focused on the podcast and not have my brain wonder away and miss a chunk of the material. You are presenting.

Another great essay, I was taken by how much ember in the ash symbolism there really is.  Just because that's how fires work you see them together all over, but that their is meaning is that many is surprising.  I need a day or two to think before I can take a crack at contributing much, but my first thought was of your identifying the scene where Jon and the NW bros surround the camp in the grove as meteors entering the trees or the comet entering the moon.  Three other things that look similar to me are the prologue with the Others surrounding and closing in on Jon-lookalike Waymar with swords, the scene where Jon tries to desert and his brothers surround him and capture him with the magic, binding words of the NW oath, and the kingsguard sigil with the white swords around a black crown.  All seem to be showing the celestial and/or terrestrial capturing the fire of the gods.  

Also, thanks for the shoutout.  

2 minutes ago, Unchained said:

Another great essay, I was taken by how much ember in the ash symbolism there really is.  Just because that's how fires work you see them together all over, but that their is meaning is that many is surprising.  I need a day or two to think before I can take a crack at contributing much, but my first thought was of your identifying the scene where Jon and the NW bros surround the camp in the grove as meteors entering the trees or the comet entering the moon.  Three other things that look similar to me are the prologue with the Others surrounding and closing in on Jon-lookalike Waymar with swords, the scene where Jon tries to desert and his brothers surround him and capture him with the magic, binding words of the NW oath, and the kingsguard sigil with the white swords around a black crown.  All seem to be showing the celestial and/or terrestrial capturing the fire of the gods.  

Also, thanks for the shoutout.  

Right on my friend! You probably deserved more than one, as insightful as your writings have been. As for the ember in the ashes symbolism, yeah, I was very surprised by how much there was two. There's actually a few more that I didn't include, because they have symbols which lead me to talking about topics I haven't mentioned yet. I kept all the Daenerys stuff aside, because there's so much of it I'm going to focus on that by itself. The next episode will purely focus on moon maidens who turn into weirwood trees symbolically during key moments, and that's going to complement all the ember in the ashes stuff very nicely.

Great call on the scenes which are similar to The weirwood Grove of 9. Particularly the one where Johns Brothers convince him to go back to Castle black, that seems pretty on the nose as they are saying the vows in unison. I really liked the idea that the weirwood Grove of 9 is like the weirwood analog to the king of winters crown, that seams to work well, and the ties to the bones of Naga are terrific too, since we find weirwood circles on sea dragon point. It's pretty fun the way Martin ties these related concepts together. 

What did you think of the Tristifer stuff and the white lichen / lycan thing? I thought that was amusing. I also can't quite get over the eyeless Garth head on an ash wood spear, that's got to be one of my favorite symbols. I almost sidetracked into talking about Garth Greybeard, a Gardener King of the Reach, because Highgarden has that maze made from hedges which is also called a labyrinth (like the stone tree maze of WF is called a labyrinth). When you see black jack bulwer, descended from a more demonic sounding son of Garth the Green, sitting there next to Garth Greyfeather, it certainly makes you think of the Minotaur and the weirwoods as being a labyrinth. But I saved that whole side track for a separate discussion so as to do it justice. Also I'm trying to follow an order - in this episode I'm sort of establishing that AS went in. As to what came out or stayed behind, that's a little further down the road. 

3 hours ago, LmL said:

Too bad, it's 4:20 and I wrote an essay about burning trees

This probably explains a lot :P #420blazeit

I know you're going to say "Read the whole thing, it's very dense", but... let's assume, against all evidence and probability, that I have something better to do than spend all day down the ASOIAF rabbit hole... can somebody give it to me in a nutshell?

5 minutes ago, Illyrio Po'Marties said:

This probably explains a lot :P #420blazeit

I know you're going to say "Read the whole thing, it's very dense", but... let's assume, against all evidence and probability, that I have something better to do than spend all day down the ASOIAF rabbit hole... can somebody give it to me in a nutshell?

Naw it's cool po'marties, that's a reasonable question to ask. I am happy to give you a TL;DR, but first, please tell me, so I don't over explain, have you read any of my essays or listened to any of my podcasts? That's the other answer, btw, if time is an issue - try the podcast version while you commute or clean or whatever. 

The very broad answer is that it concerns the theory that Azor AHai was a greenseer and went into the weirwoodnet, what that means and how that makes sense, but to be more specific it would help to know what level of familiarity you have with my general ideas about moon meteors and such. 

Thanks for stopping by and asking!

Just now, LmL said:

Naw it's cool po'marties, that's a reasonable question to ask. I am happy to give you a TL;DR, but first, please tell me, so I don't over explain, have you read any of my essays or listened to any of my podcasts? That's the other answer, btw, if time is an issue - try the podcast version while you commute or clean or whatever. 

The very broad answer is that it concerns the theory that Azor AHai was a greenseer and went into the weirwoodnet, what that means and how that makes sense, but to be more specific it would help to know what level of familiarity you have with my general ideas about moon meteors and such. 

Thanks for stopping by and asking!

Um... I think I read some essays once about how Garth the Greenhand was an undead superhero... or was it the Last Hero? You were digging into all the Herne the Hunter/corn king/wicker man symbolism, the upshot being that the Last Hero was an undead skinchanger.

And the astronomy stuff... I don't remember. There was once a second moon that fell to earth and that caused the Long Night?

8 minutes ago, Illyrio Po'Marties said:

Um... I think I read some essays once about how Garth the Greenhand was an undead superhero... or was it the Last Hero? You were digging into all the Herne the Hunter/corn king/wicker man symbolism, the upshot being that the Last Hero was an undead skinchanger.

And the astronomy stuff... I don't remember. There was once a second moon that fell to earth and that caused the Long Night?

Great, that's terrific. I recommend giving Weirwood Compendium 1 a try, that's the first one in this series (this essay is WC 4). That one is called "The Grey King and the Sea Dragon" and it sets the foundation for my association between Azor Ahai & all things dragon and fire-magic and... the weirwoods. It's pretty hard to dump you in the middle of part 4 here, but if you like Grey King and the Sea Dragon then you can catch up pretty quickly.

I would say in short that this connection is of crucial importance, because we have these two seemingly separate plot lines in the story with Azor Ahai reborn and the dragons and flaming swords and fiery undead people... and then we have the weirwoods, greenseers, skinchangers, and the cotf and the Others. So, what do the dragons and AA have to do with Westeros, either in the ancient past or in the current story? That is the big, $64 million dollar question, and I think I have latched on to the answer, or at least the path to the answer. As I mentioned earlier, I think the signs point to the idea of AA or perhaps a group of people remembered collectively as "AA" having become greenseers of some sort. This would build upon the green zombie series you referred to, all that stuff about resurrected greenseers. 

So there you go. Let me know what you think, you can comment here about anything in the Weirwood Compendium series, it's all related. Cheers. 

4 hours ago, LmL said:

Great, that's terrific. I recommend giving Weirwood Compendium 1 a try...

...nope. I tried, I really did, but it's just too fucking long.

[Sidebar: it's not just you, it's almost everybody who writes about ASOIAF. (Even, at times, me.) Nobody understands the tremendous value of brevity.]

One question I did have, though, before I gave up: you says "...the Azor Ahai and the Bloodstone Emperor myths... depict them as actors who trigger a chain of cataclysmic events through the use of blood magic." How metaphorical is that?, i.e., is it literally that the actions of some person on earth caused the moon to explode and come crashing down?

Archived